Legacy of Hobbes

Wedge009

Rogue Leader
I only played WC3 a couple of times, and I noticed in CIC's files section, there's Hobbes' 'missing' explanation. I also noticed in the WC3 script an explanation given by Hobbes. It implies that he was made the way he was by Thrakhath. I wonder what is Thrakhath's motivation for such a plot - Hobbes killed many of his own kind. He must have also been under this false personality for a long time, defecting in SM2, wasn't it, and being around long enough to save Downtown at Ghorah Khar when he was a "human cub". Plus the exchange between Hobbes and Thrakhath seemed genuine on board Bonnie Heather - even if Thrakhath only wanted to keep up appearances.

I'm rambling here, my point is I wondered if Hobbes always was a 'good' and honourable Kilrathi, but comes under Thrakhath's influence when Thrakhath escapes from the Bonnie Heather. Thrakhath hit him from behind, he could have also done something else. Of course, Thrakhath's not going to have much resources on him, but it was just an idea. If Angel's death seemed hopeless, losing Hobbes, to me, was just as bad, if not worse. Any comments.

Hobbes was a mole. The exchange between Thrak and Hobbes WAS genuine. Hobbes didn't know that he was a Kilrathi agent--his memories and personality had been suppressed until he heard the keywords "Heart of the Tiger", and he sincerely hated Thrak. Thrak, of course, was contemptuous towards Hobbes's mole-personality...And if the real Ralgha (before he was made into a mole) was a criminal of some sort, Thrak might have hated him anyway.

------------------
Bastardly Productions: More fun than a piñata filled with bees

It`s exactly the same situation as in the movie "Total Recall"
Of course Hobbes caused a great deal of destruction to the Kilrathi, but helping to destroy the Behemoth was more than worth it at the time.

Mole-schmole, doesn't anyone feel even the slightest bit sentimental about having to vape Hobbes, even if his 'true' personality was suppressed?

Mad Hatter: Ah, but they didn't know about the Behemoth project (because it didn't exist yet) back in '54. And note the huge amount of embarassment Hobbes caused to our Prince when he revealed all that information about the Sivar-Eshrad ceremony. It seems to me that this would have been too much of a gamble, even for Prince Thrakhath.

I'm starting to think that Hobbes wasn't actually meant to defect to the Confederation. It seemed like a fluke, especially when you consider that they did try to stop him (and if it wasn't for Hunter, they would have). I reckon that he was just supposed to be used against the Ghorah Khar Rebels... and then, things went wrong. By the time Thrak realised what was up, Hobbes was on the Tiger's Claw. By then, Hobbes had done all the possible damage (information-wise) he could have, so they decided to wait and see what happened.

Wedge009: Yeah, I didn't want to kill him. But now that I think about it, it wouldn't have really mattered. The Hobbes we knew was dead already.

No disrespect, but if what you're saying is true, then Hobbes was never meant to meet Christopher Blair. If that is so, then why would the recall words be Blair's Kilrathi title, "The Heart of the Tiger"?

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Good point, WildWeasel. I agree though, that Thrakhath got a bit more than he bargained for, and I know the Behemoth project did not exist back then, but I only brought it up because in the end that gamble paid off, well, partially at least. The Kilrathi did foil Tolwyn`s plans, but there wasn`t much they could do about Paladin`s surprise, since it was meant to be introduced only if the Behemoth failed, which required Hobbes` true identity being revealed.
Also, Hobbes wasn`t the only Kilrathi Agent that caused a lot of trouble for the Kilrathi. Don`t forget Jazz.
BTW, I would have to admit that maybe, Hobbes could have been "reprogrammed" When Thrakhath was captured back in SO2, but that was a much more a chance encounter than possible, and it would also mean that Hobbes` original personality was the one we knew up until the time of the HOTT trasmission.

There are so many ways that we can look at the entire situation regarding Hobbes. Errors are bound to be found. I realize that the writers are human and entitled to mistakes. Therefore, I will no longer tear at this rip in the Wing Commander universe.

------------------
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Well, it could be that "The Heart of the Tiger" was chosen purely for the irony of it. Remember, Hobbes was coloured like a tiger. Thus, to reveal his true personality would have been to reveal... the Heart of the Tiger
smile.gif

Thrak couldn't have reprogrammed Hobbes in SO1. He didn't have the equipment, the time, or the expertise.

Hmm... a funny possibility - what if "The Heart of the Tiger" actually triggered the false personality, instead of revealing the true one? You know, "when I clap my hands, you will act like a chicken"
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
They may have had the time and the expertise to put an overlay in during the begining of Freedom Flight. Which one, is the question. It would be a somewhat tight timeline, though. I was saddened at the death of Hobbes, and thought the story seemed a tad thin (though I like the idea about Hobbes becoming an out of control experiment, it would make more sense, imo), but it added to the desperation they were trying to convey during WCIII. Almost all hope was gone, etc. I do wonder if Thrak was able to activate Hobbes during SO1 and had him screw with the Bonnie Heather and then return him to his mole status. Again though you have the question of time and expertise, which I think the Prince may have lacked.

I never did like the whole thing and thought it was pretty thin. I wish Hobbes would have still defected, but because he could not stand by and let his homeworld be destroyed. That would have seemed much more likely.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Hobbes was the "good" Kilrathi. It was his real self that wasn't so good. It would have been fortunate if back in WC2, Hobbes could've been accidentally killed. Then, Thrakhath could not have had a spy.

Quarto said:

Well, it could be that "The Heart of the Tiger" was chosen purely for the irony of it. Remember, Hobbes was coloured like a tiger. Thus, to reveal his true personality would have been to reveal... the Heart of the Tiger.

Hmmm... Well, in the WC3 novel, Hobbes' little hologram did say that while Blair possessed the Heart of the Tiger, Hobbes was the Heart of the Tiger. I dunno...
wink2.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Dralthi5: [Angel] What is your point, monsieur. There is one, non? [/Angel]
smile.gif

I fail to see how that invalidates my argument
smile.gif

Me too, 'cause I didn't mean to invalidate it.
wink2.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Q, I don't think Thrak would go through so much trouble for GK. The GK situation seemed to need a short-term plan to regain control. Thrak probably waited many years because he knew it would be more beneficial to have a defector in place for such an occasion as the end of the war, where Ralgha may have saved Kilrah itself by ensuring the destruction of the Behemoth and bringing a warning of the T-bomb operation.

Back