Kilrathi/WWII Parallels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ijuin

Admiral
It has been said a number of times that the Confederation/Kilrathi war parallels the Pacific theater of WWII with the Confederation as the USA and the Kilrathi as Japan (Chris Roberts himself mentioned the WWII parallel I believe). So far I know of the following specific events being paralleled:

Battle of McAullife = Attack on Pearl Harbor

Battle of Vukar Tag = Battle of Midway

T-Bombing of Kilrah = Nuclear bombing of Hiroshima

Can anybody think of any more events?

Both are such huge events that you can probably draw dozens and dozens of parallels depending on how deep you'd like to go. Recall that there were two nuclear bombs at the end of World War 2.. and there were also two Temblor Bombs in WC3. Other semi-important events like the Tarawa Kilrah raid could be compared to the Dolittle firebombing perhaps. And the whole concept of the transports-turned-jeep-carriers thing is also taken from WW2.

Chris(Reid not Roberts:D) is right.There are a lot of simmilar facts in wars.

I dont think Chris (Roberts not Reid:D ) wanted to make future version of WW2.There are similarities (in StarWars too) with WW2 only in the battles!Lasers instead of Bullets and Torpedo runs just like WW2`s bombers etc.

In WWII there was a US Naval Fighter called the Hellcat. And a US Air Force Fighte called the Thunderbolt.

Thats right.And nowdays there is a Fighter Called Hornet (F/A-18) :)

IN WW2 there was also a"Midway" carrier.That doesnt mean anything .......:cool:

Eh, what I want to know is whether the Arrow is actually named after the Avro Arrow, or if it's just because of its shape. The Avro Arrow would have been a very appropriate source, given that the Arrow was the first WC fighter to break the 2000 kps barrier. But then it was slowed down in WC3 :(.

The HMS Victory was a 18th century Warship.

Plus there's the WAH-64 Apache Longbow.

There was a Royal Navy Fighter called the Vampire fighter during the late 40's and 50's

Well, Quarto, we can guess anything but we cant actually know!:(

And TopGun, There are lots of fighters and Carriers with the same names with the WC carriers and Fighters....Whats the point??

Flag raising at Iwo Jima.....Flag raising at end of WC1

both had large scale kamikaze actions

Originally posted by Aries
Flag raising at Iwo Jima.....Flag raising at end of WC1

both had large scale kamikaze actions

I know this is off the subject but, wasn't that the coolest ending at the end of WC1?

Originally posted by Stryker
I know this is off the subject but, wasn't that the coolest ending at the end of WC1?

it's better than the death or losing scenes but only cause that one is the winning scene. you want a cool ending...Kilrah blowing up.

While Chris Roberts may have had the WWII/Kilrathi War parallel rattling around in the back of his head, Forstchen took it and made it blatantly obvious in his books (not that this is necessarily a bad thing). "Action Stations" in particular was an almost ver-batim reinterpretation of Pearl Harbor in a futuristic setting. One particularly clever thing he did was take the WC concept of needing a torpedo to defeat phase shields and make it a parallel of the torpedo Japan specially developed to operate in the shallow waters of Pearl Harbor itself. Prior to the attack, plane-launched torpedos sank too deep to effectively attack a fleet in port at Pearl.

Wow, I must've missed the part about the Kilrathi being involved in World War II. I knew that I shouldn't have slept through all those history classes...

Originally posted by Stryker

NO! it was a without meaning ending.SM1 and SM2 endings are better :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back