Kilrathi game?

Farbourne

Rear Admiral
Question for LOAF or anyone familiar with Origin/EA's development proposals.

Was there ever any thought given to making a Wing Commander game from the Kilrathi standpoint? Either a classic space sim or anything different (like a FPS or adventure game)?

There was a period a number of years ago when making games from the "enemy"'s point of view was gaining some traction--TIE fighter is an obvious example, there was some role playing strategy game where you designed dungeons to kill heroes, you can play as the Oakland Raiders in Madden, etc.

We got a taste of what it was like to fly cat fighters against Confed's hottest hardware in SM2 when you had to take a Dralthi II up against Rapiers. I was just wondering if there was ever discussion of making an entire game that centered on the Kilrathi.

I don't know of any such project; I'm sure the idea was thrown around (especially after TIE Fighter), but doing something on the same level as the 'main' games except with Kilrathi would be more risk for less benefit.

Both of the multiplayer spinoffs, though, let you fly as a cat -- Armada and Arena both divide evenly between Terran and Kilrathi. There were a number of cancelled projects that would have done the same thing in the same way: both Privateer Onlines, the RTS and the FPS.

Dissapointing that you forgot Dungeon Keeper's name! Overlord (more recently) follows a similar vein but without the dungeon building.

Isn't Madden a Hockey game, I'm not sure I see how an "enemy" works in that context. Then again, Dungeon Keeper isnt really an enemies perspective spin off either.

That all said, I think that a Kilrathi based game a la Tie Fighter would have been interesting, provided the story was suitably enthralling - different sector battles could be explored etc.

Dissapointing that you forgot Dungeon Keeper's name! Overlord (more recently) follows a similar vein but without the dungeon building.

Isn't Madden a Hockey game, I'm not sure I see how an "enemy" works in that context. Then again, Dungeon Keeper isnt really an enemies perspective spin off either.

That all said, I think that a Kilrathi based game a la Tie Fighter would have been interesting, provided the story was suitably enthralling - different sector battles could be explored etc.

Madden is an NFL game. And the enemy thing, well, I guess he just doesn't like the Raiders. I think it was a joke.

One of the fan projects remade wing commander 1 from the Kilrathi point of view. It wasn't exactly a polished professional release, but it was very cool, and pretty challenging, to fly the early Kilrathi fighters against the Confed.

Yes, the Raider's comment was tongue-in-cheek. For many years, the Raiders had the reputation as the "bad guys" or the villains of the NFL.

It always seemed to me like there was lots of interesting story to mine and explore with a Kilrathi-themed game. The Kilrathi culture is so different from Terran culture, with a premium on warrior ideals and a curious type of "honor".

Pah - I'll take the Pancake over the Scimitar any day I tell you. The shape is a true blessing for head on attacks if you are properly aligned. My only wish would be for more intuitive cockpit instruments.

The life of a Kilrathi pilot is short and worthless, like Goombas. They go out to World 1-1 (or in the Kat's case, a Dralthi) and get their asses fried. Not a very lengthy game.

I think a Kilrathi game is a great idea. I always liked things that showed the opposite side of the war. I'd take a Salthi over a Ferret or Hornet any day.

Back