Jumpoints

Yeah, but we only see it once in WC4 like you mentioned. And why should they show that the time stops? It was a critical scene with the deadzone, and there should be no pauses in it.
smile.gif

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited out a sentence in my post that said, "Please don't make a big-ass deal out of this." Don't make me regret it.
smile.gif

------------------
If i'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Dralthi5, I'm not making a big deal out of it. Just want to have a discusion.
biggrin.gif

It depends on the jump point.. some have time frozen and are virtually instantaneous.. some could take hours..

Earthworm: A point well taken. That jump could've been just unusual. I guess I'll have to withdraw my remark... I seem to be doing that a lot lately
smile.gif
. Incidentally, I did say that it made things more interesting. Why do people insist on misunderstanding me?

I'm a bit disappointed that nobody replied to the second half of my last post though.
frown.gif

OK, I'll replay to that post.
smile.gif

You could be right, in the first thre SW movies the space was completly empty except some asteroids. IIRC that was also the case in TPM (though I didn't see it in over 6 months) so it could be that the critics (I can't understand why would people listen to them anyhow) just didn't like that colorfull space.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who die for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Actually, it's not just space that they didn't like. The ships too, were knocked for their "submarine-like quality". Yet again, the irony of it was that spaceships are like that; in fact, they're even more cramped. And while technological improvements might change that a bit, we must remember that the role of the spaceship and of the submarine is essentially identical - keep air in, everything else out. And if anybody else says something stupid about all those airlock doors inside the 'Claw...
smile.gif

I for one found this far too ironic. Especially when some reviewers raved about how WC is stupid because in reality there is no sound in space... These same reviewers proclaimed TPM as a brilliant work of art...

Ah, well. I guess Chris Roberts really only made one mistake. Blair should have been nine years old, and he should have accidentally destroyed the entire Kilrathi fleet by burping.

Actually, it's not just space that they didn't like. The ships too, were knocked for their "submarine-like quality". Yet again, the irony of it was that spaceships are like that; in fact, they're even more cramped. And while technological improvements might change that a bit, we must remember that the role of the spaceship and of the submarine is essentially identical - keep air in, everything else out. And if anybody else says something stupid about all those airlock doors inside the 'Claw...

I loved the WW2 look of the movie. I don't know why most people didn't. Ships in a movie like TPM were much worse when you compare the two IMO (I actualy saw a review that said the ships in WC were riped off from SW).

I for one found this far too ironic. Especially when some reviewers raved about how WC is stupid because in reality there is no sound in space...

I'm sure we all know that when they're talking about sound in space they don't mean just hearing the explosions and lasers. They mean that the Kilrathi were looking for the Claw, and everybody on the Claw went silent so the Kilrathi can't hear them. Ignorant morons. It's never said in the movie, in that part that the Kilrathi are listening to them, and it's clearly stated in the movie novel that the Kilrathi are not listening to the Claw and that the beping sound during that scene was coming from the Claw's radars not a Kilrathi "sonar".

These same reviewers proclaimed TPM as a brilliant work of art...
I found TPM to be very bad. I loved the original SW movies, and I've played many SW space sims, but in TPM Lucas was trying to cash in on the success of the first three movies.

Ah, well. I guess Chris Roberts really only made one mistake. Blair should have been nine years old, and he should have accidentally destroyed the entire Kilrathi fleet by burping.

LOL!
biggrin.gif

CR should also include a pod-Rapier racing scene where the nine year old Blair was racing against the Kilrathi pod-Dralthi fighters. Flying through asteroids and later on a planet. Of course Blairs home made Rapier
smile.gif
didn't work to well so before Blair fired up the engines the Kilrathi already completed one level of the race, but Blair magicly catched up to the Kilrathi and won the race.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Earthworm: I'd like to think that Lucas was just a little out of practise.

As much as I'd hate to agree with my can't-see-the-point-of star-wars-and-why-it's-so-good friend, she's right and the plot was kinda iffy and now that I thik about it, someone else should have directed. Better yet, stop using actors.
smile.gif

I'd also like to use his opportunity to rag on my above mentioned friend and her un-natural infatuation with James Bond: JB movies collectively suck worse than TPM because in every single damn movie the story line is the same and the fight scenes (excepting those with guns) are usually really pretty lame. Especially in the early movies.

Too bad she'll never read this
smile.gif

Oh and everybody go down to there local library and look for Scientific American, Jan 2000 issue and read the article "Negative Energy, Wormholes and Warp Drive".

Now, don't get me wrong. As a matter of fact, I really liked TPM. But I think that it's unfair that things that apparently make the WC Movie "suck" also make TPM into a "work of art". Movie critics should be locked up in tiny little cells six feet under ground...

Yeah, I saw that "ships ripped off" review too, or something like it anyway. That just shows that the reviewer was desperate to find something wrong with the movie. Apparently, critics like to flock
smile.gif
. But personally, I always wondered how Queen Amidala's ship maintained it's beatiful polish even after sitting out on a dusty desert planet
smile.gif

As for the "listening" scene, that's natural. Even though they would have known the Kilrathi can't hear them, it would have been instinctive to keep quiet. A perfectly normal human reaction.

Steampunk: You have no idea how much I hate James Bond.

[Moderator mode] Let's just be careful here though. The moment this thread starts to resemble an SW vs. WC thread, I'll lock it down faster than a tachyon. [/Moderator mode]

Quatro says: As for the "listening" scene, that's natural. Even though they would have known the Kilrathi can't hear them, it would have been instinctive to keep quiet. A perfectly normal human reaction.

Actualy that's almost exactly how it's explained in the Movie novel. The crew on the bridge was chering because they thought they escaped the Kilrathi fleet, and than Palading yells to them to shut up, because the radar started beeping, and he said that the radar detected a Kilrathi destroyer. They all wait in silence as the destroyer passes above.

------------------
Gen. Patton

Earthworm: I thought the WW2 look was kind of cool, too.

It could have been worse. It could have been a WW1 look. Blair flying around with a pair of goggles and a scarf on.
biggrin.gif

------------------

James Bond doesn't suck. It's also not the best movie series around. However the recent crop of movies have been reasonably entertaining.
I did enjoy the WC Movie better than TPM though. Still both had their faults & their pros.
And don't listen to movie reviews. Good or bad they're all inaccurate - especially reviews that rubbish movies. The reviewers that you should believe are the people that shelled out their own money to watch the movie in question in their own time. Professional critics get paid to see movies as their job & get other special treatment. A sure way to get critics to rubbish your movie is to not invite them to a preview screening before the general public release.

------------------
Politician: "We're going to restore the state monopoly of workplace accident insurance."
Aide: "But it costs MORE than private insurance."
Politician: "That's because you're more likely to have more accidents with us running things."
The Politician by David Fletcher.

[This message has been edited by Penguin (edited February 10, 2000).]

Amen to that.
cool.gif

Movies are made for the public, not the critics.
tongue.gif
Why do we even need critics? They hate pretty much everything that the public enjoys.
mad.gif
I mean, who honestly listens to the critics?
rolleyes.gif

------------------

Just wanted to point this out... Submarines and space ships are designed to do completely different things. It was mentioned that they are designed to "keep air in", well it's more like this

Submarines: Designed to keep water OUT, the larger pressure is on the outside. The Submarine is designed to keep itself from imploding.

Space Ship: Designed to keep air IN, the larger pressure is inside. The space ship is designed to keep itself from exploding.

From an engineering standpoint these objectives are extremely different.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

TC: I was actually referring to the internal design. In case you haven't noticed, all those reviewers were ranting about the air-lock door all over the place.
Oh, and while they face the opposite forces, they both need bloody strong outer skin... It just has to be reinforced in the opposite direction
smile.gif

Dralthi5 said:
Earthworm: I thought the WW2 look was kind of cool, too.

Glad I'm not the only one.
biggrin.gif
That look was completly original, and although cool, and sci-fi looking it also was something familiar.

It could have been worse. It could have been a WW1 look. Blair flying around with a pair of goggles and a scarf on.
biggrin.gif

ROTFLOL!

------------------
Gen. Patton

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited February 10, 2000).]

Back