I'm a new spacewoman on these forums.

nicewitch

Veteran Spaceman
I just got through playing WCI, WCIII, and WCIV. I got these games from my local Vintage Stock store (they got all kinds of video games and movies and DVDs). I thought these games were pretty good. In WCI, Blair meets Maniac on the Tiger's Claw but in WCA, he meets him at the Confed Academy which I didn't understand. For the most part I liked these games; if you want to know how they could've been better, then read my other topics on the General Forum.

The Wing Commander Academy continuity is separate, and a bit different, from the game continuity (and the movie continuity is different from both), so you need not spend too much effort trying to make them fit together, because they don't.

Well, I guess some guys here would disagree about that Ijuin. You can fit some of the parts together that don't make much sense at first glance.
I agree that your approach is probably the one that could help someone new to the franchise to stay sane, though....

It's not a matter of personal opinion. The movie, games, books and cartoon are all part of the same continuity. Star*Soldier solidifes how the events from all these sources occur on specific dates throughout the timeline. https://www.wcnews.com/news/2012/07/08/every-wingnut-needs-star-soldier There's actually even items from the Movie and other sources mentioned within the WC Arena game itself.

In WCI, Blair meets Maniac on the Tiger's Claw but in WCA, he meets him at the Confed Academy which I didn't understand.

Blair does not meet Maniac on the Tiger's Claw, even in WC1. Everyone character has a "nice to meet you" scene for the player's benefit, but the game documentation explains that they both went to the Academy together (and they knew each other there).

Last edited by a moderator:
Like any good sci-fi universe, Wing Commander has had its share of inconsistencies...for example, there are no fewer than three different origin stories for Blair (leading to his changing attitudes towards Maniac). They only become issues if you're a fanatic trying to resolve them all with one another, or if you enjoy the thrill of a lively canonicity debate, or if you're trying to write a pencil-and-paper role-playing game system.

Like any good sci-fi universe, Wing Commander has had its share of inconsistencies...for example, there are no fewer than three different origin stories for Blair (leading to his changing attitudes towards Maniac). They only become issues if you're a fanatic trying to resolve them all with one another, or if you enjoy the thrill of a lively canonicity debate, or if you're trying to write a pencil-and-paper role-playing game system.

But we all read Star Soldier, right? :) Right there in black and white: Page 42. Awkward? Sure, but there's not really much to debate.

Because of recent heavy losses in battle against the Kilrathi, the 201st Plebe class of the Confederation’s Space Naval Academy replaces the regular flight crew aboard the refurbished Tiger’s Claw, Commodore Geoffrey Tolwyn commanding. The cadets are supposed to complete their course of instruction while performing routine patrols and flight training. But, in war, anything can happen...

Aided by Pilgrim terrorists, a Kilrathi fleet destroys the Confederation’s Pegasus Station and secures a path straight to Earth. Human ships rush from the front line to defend the homeworld. The Tiger’s Claw, the only ship between the Kilrathi fleet and Sol, fights desperately to delay the enemy advance. Using intelligence gathered by the Tiger’s Claw, Commodore Tolwyn turns the tables on the Kilrathi, surprising them and eliminating the entire fleet as it arrives in the Sol System.

Terran Intelligence reports that the Kilrathi High Command is directing war efforts from Venice System. Reconnaissance patrols identify Kilrathi ships and boldly give chase, uncovering an Imperial starbase. Terran patrols are lost, but not before relaying their coordinates back to HQ.

Well at any rate, welcome to the awesomeness that is Wing Commander!

Its a brilliant franchise and if you dont have them try the Wing Commander 1 & 2 from GOG.com as they also include the secret and special missions you can try out also.

Enjoy being here and look around at the extra material such as StarSoldier that I'm about to read now myself :)

But we all read Star Soldier, right? :) Right there in black and white: Page 42. Awkward? Sure, but there's not really much to debate.

No, no...I said origin story. In one version (Academy), his birth parents are alive (his dad is some high ranking official - Blair frequently sends him e-mail) and he was raised on Earth. In another (the movie), his parents were both killed at Peron shortly after his birth and he was raised on Nephele II. That one was hard to resolve...

Well at any rate, welcome to the awesomeness that is Wing Commander!

Nicewitch is our annual troll (You got caught in 6 minutes this time you moron, Concordia/Miranyx100/dumbass) They are a crazy person who has been posting on and off for about a decade now. They always make a big deal out of being a girl and then post these moronic threads. Just ignore them. They go away after a week or so.

We actually had a good laugh last night in #wingnut looking back at some of the classic moments from this idiot.

Set George Washington to stun and load the super polymer missiles!

Anyone notice that nicewitch has switched to male it his/her/it’s profile now.

No, no...I said origin story. In one version (Academy), his birth parents are alive (his dad is some high ranking official - Blair frequently sends him e-mail) and he was raised on Earth. In another (the movie), his parents were both killed at Peron shortly after his birth and he was raised on Nephele II. That one was hard to resolve...

That one is actually pretty easy to resolve. He’s sending messages to his adopted parents in the TV show and he spent part of his childhood on Nephele II and part on Earth.
https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/blair’s-parents.19778/

Last edited by a moderator:
For the most part I liked these games; if you want to know how they could've been better, then read my other topics on the General Forum.

No thanks, I like them just as they are.

Just a touch arrogant to say you know better, don't you think?

I think this is the only time I've ever seen Dund not welcome a 'friendly' ship :D

Maybe nicewitch/concordia/whatever is in transition? Attention seekers desperate for same. I've read some of the old threads and this guy/girl/thing person exhibits all the qualities of a spoiled child. Best to do what you normally do with a spoiled brat.

Ignore them.

Back