Blair’s parents

Blaster

Rear Admiral
Unless I’m mistaken Blair’s parents died when he was a child, but in the Academy TV show he sometimes records messages while talking to someone he calls “dad” and he mentions his mother at least once. I’m guessing these people are Blair’s adoptive parents but is this ever specifically stated?

Howdy!
Yes -- this was actually something plotted out but never addressed on the show, though you can find a few references to it in the series itself.

The story was going to be that Blair's adopted father, his uncle, was an anti-war senator -- he's described in the series bible (available at the CIC). This is mentioned in the first episode, where Blair writes home about how he knows his 'dad' disagreed with his decision to join the military.

Blair's biological father, though, was a war hero -- and you see his 'ghost' in one episode, which talks about the family's tradition of service. Those two concepts probably don't make much sense without the background that never really got stated properly that the two characters are different people...

Why was that show cancelled!? It was damn good by Saturday morning cartoon standards, and wasn't it on during the height of WC popularity?

Regarding the letter home, I think I remember him writing it while actually in transit during a jump between systems. The novels and games always make the process to be instantaneous - where you suddenly get hit with brief nausea delirium and find yourself at the new destination. Hardly time to write a letter.

The USA Network dropped their entire cartoon block that year -- 1996-7 was pretty much the end of syndicated cartoons in general, for reasons entirely unrelated to Wing Commander.

Why was that show cancelled!? It was damn good by Saturday morning cartoon standards, and wasn't it on during the height of WC popularity?

Regarding the letter home, I think I remember him writing it while actually in transit during a jump between systems. The novels and games always make the process to be instantaneous - where you suddenly get hit with brief nausea delirium and find yourself at the new destination. Hardly time to write a letter.

USA network cancelled *all* their cartoons after WC: Academy's first season. So the WC show got shelved along with everything else despite it getting the most ratings of all their animated programs. In general, most networks were getting out of the saturday morning cartoons and such at the time.

Not only Saturday/Sunday morning -- channels dropped their morning and afternoon animation blocks en masse, too, in favor of more affordable and more popular Oprah-style talk shows. After 1996, the only broadcast network doing animated stuff at all was the WB, which did everything either in-house or by adapting Japanese shows.

It was too bad, because WCA was really good. Not only because it was WC, it was really enjoyable. Some of the best bits of WC story are there.

Thanks for the answer. It’s interesting to know that Blair went against his uncle’s wishes to join confed. I wonder how he reacted to his nephew becoming a war hero.

Other episodes get into the concept of long jumps more. There are special cases where the transit can take quite a while.

Back