Iceman vs. Seether

The way I would look at this debate, speaking from a purely speculative standpoint anyway, is that Iceman was so good that they probably used some of his genes in the GE program that augmented Seether's abilities. :)

Death said:
Games aren't made just for the hardcore gamers that have the time to work out all the little details of kicking ass, but to also get the less-dedicated folks.

That sounds like the "comic book vs. hardcover novel" debate. True, games should be fun, and not finicking around with parameters, option bars and a manual as big as a phonebook (did I hear "Smart" just now?). But games - and even action games - can also be an intellectual challenge, too.

I'd even say, games are most successful when the hit the balance between emotional involvement, interface friendliness, and intellectual challenge. Unlike many other games today that put eye candy first, WC is exactly that because of its focus on story (well, erm, most of the time) and memorable characters.

What irks me a little is just that old "you can be the hero" motif. Look at today's movies - Spiderman was really successful because his character had believable flaws, Catwoman was a flop because she didn't have any. Gamers today want to identify with their characters, and the more they feel that those guys in the games are just as imperfect, the better. (Uh-oh, stop me before I go off on the Sims again)

Even having this discussion seems to prove the point: Blair is out of the picture, because Iceman and Seether are seen as the aces; Blair is almost too normal.

Sylvester said:
You know thats why we don't have the rank of Field Marshall in the US Army?

In WWII, General Marshall had to create a term for a five star general, and he didn't want to be called "Field Marshall Marshall" so the term "General of the Armies" was used.

Thanks Josh, you learn something new every day. Fortunate that I stopped at PFC.

F4U Corsair said:
My B... damn lousy 16 bit graphics ;)

Um, WC1 was 256-color VGA. That's 8-bit graphics. Iceman never appeared in any games that had higher bit depths. :)

criticalmass said:
Catwoman was a flop because she didn't have any [flaws].

No, Catwoman was a flop because it sucked. The character concept was a side-issue. :p

Death said:
Um, WC1 was 256-color VGA. That's 8-bit graphics. Iceman never appeared in any games that had higher bit depths. :)

LOL sorry, I judged it based on the system it was on, Your right, my bad... well unless of course you count Super Wing Commander... which I doubt ne1 does.

Super Wing Commander was kinda wierd though... I expected it to be 3D but it was also Pixilated, Dont get me wrong I loved every minutes of the advancement, but... well I dont know... I expected what they gave us in WC3, guess I expected too much huh?

And how about some of the COncordia? Im tryin to do a blueprint design and a model, but i need to see the full ship not just a profile.

Back