I wont be here until April:( b'coz of my stupid exams!

Quarto said:
Well, that doesn't really disadvantage you in any way, since everybody else in your country went through the same thing.

The problem is, that not everybody else in my country does military service.
Anyway, I was comparing my situation to everybody else here, not my country.

Mad Hatter, I didn't mean to imply that military service is bad, I just meant to say that it's nice to have a choice in the matter. I actually considered NROTC, but my eyesight is too bad.

Well, anyway, having a few years of military service before school would probably be a good thing. The military is a great place to show responsibility and leadership, both qualities that are highly sought after in the job market.

As for someone getting arrested at OSU, that is unfortunate. However, that's not what LOAF is referring to. OU and UT have a little rivalry thing, and there is mutual hate between the two schools. In fact, OU/Texas weekend is the big holiday here. Watch the game on October 7. Not sure what time (will depend on how high each school is ranked) it will be on or the channel, but it will be national in the US. It's actually a pretty interesting rivallry. Supposedly some OU students went down to Austin and kidnapped the first Bevo, the Texas Longhorn mascot. They slaughtered him, and the horns are, I'm told, somewhere in our law school. I'm not sure if that is true, but its illustrates the relations between the two schools.

The problem is, that not everybody else in my country does military service.
Anyway, I was comparing my situation to everybody else here, not my country.
Hmm. Well, yeah, I guess compared to everybody else here, that's a disadvantage of sorts. But depending on what you plan to do (and I imagine that's one of the problems with being in the army - you don't really need to think about what you're going to do afterwards), it could also be an advantage.

I've done both Military Service and College. I have to agree that military service changes you. My grades prior to service were less than spectacular. After service and returning to school I graduated with a 3.5 average. I will also throw this in my service was completely voluntary. Obligatory service can create hardships for some simply because military service is not for everyone. Only for me was it beneficial. I think the US learned the hard way that mandatory service lessens the overall effectivness of a military, now it is strictly volunteer.

Well, with the potentially explosive situation my country is in now and for the past 52 years, I don`t really think volentery military service is really an option where I live.

I once thought about military service, then I watched a program on the Discovery Channel 'bout military training. It scared me...
wink2.gif
Just kidding, but it sure ain't for me.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back