Hello everyone

Originally posted by =Gemini=

I doubt that. That's quite an illogical comment. If you need me to be more specific, I was referring to members of the crew that worked on the script and/or storyline, not the little boys who had to hold up the sound microphones all day long.

As was I. Chris Roberts doesn't *care* that Hobbes apparantly got named for two different reasons, mentioned in two different products (though he wrote neither). An author in the universe has confused the Confederation and Concordia classes. LOAF can tell you the story of how he saved False Colors by making sure he actually used the character's established names instead of making new stupid ones. There's a reason some of the designers and authors actually come and ask the fans for help and information. Authors don't need to remember stupid details about things and know stuff from products that were released a dozen years before in another language because they can almost always just make up something new. Crazy rabid fans, however, know these things.

Originally posted by TC
Chris Roberts doesn't *care* that Hobbes apparently got named for two different reasons...
Uh, which were? (I only remember the 'philosopher' explanation in WC2)

Originally posted by TC
An author in the universe has confused the Confederation and Concordia classes.
Who? How?

Originally posted by TC
LOAF can tell you the story of how he saved False Colors by making sure he actually used the character's established names instead of making new stupid ones.
Oh, do tell!

Originally posted by Wedge009
Uh, which were? (I only remember the 'philosopher' explanation in WC2)

The Heart of the Tiger novel implies the comic character and definately discusses a different situation:

Many officers were reluctant to fly with a Kilrathi wingman, but Blair always found Ralgha cheerful, competent, and capable: a fine pilot and an excellent comrade. He was the one to bestow the nickname "Hobbes" on the renegade Kilrathi after encountering the name in an ancient piece of Terran folk art in a fellow pilots collection.

Who? How?

Blair's familiarity with the Lexington in The Price of Freedom.

Oh, do tell!

I'm sure LOAF will.

Originally posted by TC
The Heart of the Tiger novel implies the comic character and definitely discusses a different situation...
Oh well, it happens.

Originally posted by TC
Blair's familiarity with the Lexington in The Price of Freedom.
Isn't that more a case of confusing ships rather than ship classes?

Originally posted by TC
I'm sure LOAF will.
Well, yeah, it was directed to him. :)

Originally posted by Wedge009
Isn't that more a case of confusing ships rather than ship classes?

No, it's very obvious that he thinks the lexington is the same class as the concordia... which is a case of confusing classes because the information he was given cited it as a concordia class, I assume.

Really it's not a big deal, I just noted the first two continuity problems that popped into my head.

Keep in mind that I haven't read the novels. :)

It didn't matter if he confused them or not - we'd still have two Concordias to contend with. And wouldn't it be worse if the Lexington was called a Confederation-class, since it's clearly not when you look at WC2 and WC4?

It isn't called a Confederation class. It's called a Concordia class. Blair keeps saying how the layout's the same as the Concordia and how his quarters look like Angel's did on the old Concordia and all kinds of stuff like that. I'm not sure why anything I said had anything to do with saying there shouldn't be some class or another... Anyway... that wasn't the point of what I was saying... I, personally, don't care that it's wrong, though it's annoying when I read the book.

Originally posted by TC
It isn't called a Confederation class. It's called a Concordia class.
I know the Lexington is a Concordia-class... so the author didn't make up the class name? See what I mean by there being too many Concordias?

As to why Blair kept thinking the quarters etc kept reminding him of the TCS Concordia, I suppose interior ship design couldn't have been that much different, even between classes. It could also just be Blair reminiscing too much or his old-fogie brain mucking up on him. :)

Didn't they same thing about the Princeton?
something like "The Princeton was the same class as the Lexington and the Concordia, so Blair quickly found himself at the Wing Commander's quarters".

And then the officer who came to take command from the border worlds asked Blair to direct traffick since no one alse had seen much time aboard a Concordia before.

In universe explanations are easy. It just has a remarkably similar deck plan for some reason, possibly part of the Concordia class designs were reused in the Confederation class or somesuch...

Yes, I thought the interior set of the ship(s) in WC4, was not as favorable as the Victory in WC3

Maybe the same 'tower' areas are used on multiple ships... which would also explain the Midway and the Murphy... :)

Uh, explain what? I thought the original connection was between the Confederation class and the Concordia (and possibly Ranger) class.

Ok, I'm confused now. I thought there wasn't a Confederation-class. And what is The Murphy? That wouldn't be the 2nd Supercarrier after the Midway because it says in the manual that the 2nd one was going to be named "Sea"-something (I can't remember exactly and I don't have the books near me).

Ok, I'm confused now. I thought there wasn't a Confederation-class. And what is The Murphy? That wouldn't be the 2nd Supercarrier after the Midway because it says in the manual that the 2nd one was going to be named "Sea"-something (I can't remember exactly and I don't have the books near me).

The Murphy-class are the Confed destroyers you see in Secret Ops. If you look closely, you'll see that their bridge design is very similar to that of the Midway.

There is a Confederation-class... it's the type of dreadnought the TCS Concordia from WC2 (CVS-65) is.

The second Midway-class heavy carrier is the TCS Mistral Sea.

Uh, explain what? I thought the original connection was between the Confederation class and the Concordia (and possibly Ranger) class.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say, so I'll just re-explain the whole thing for the benefit of all.

The two Confed carriers in Wing Commander IV (Lexington and Princeton) are Concordia-class. This is stated in a movie segment in the Speradon series (Wilford orders you to capture 'a Concordia-class carrier').

The carrier in Wing Commander II (Concordia, CVS-65) is a Confederation-class dreadnought. This is stated in the Joan's 2664 update.

The Wing Commander IV novel heavily implies that the Lexington (Concordia class) is of the same class as the Concordia (Confederation class), claiming that they have the same deck layouts. The 'real' reason for this is that the author saw 'Concordia-class' in the script and assumed they were supposed to be the same type of ship (presumably the *script writer* also intended this...).

The explanation I made up was that perhaps the 'tower' thing (on the side of the Concordia, in the center of the Confederation) was a modular component and therefore possesed the same deck plans.

The Ranger class simply used the same 3D model as the Lexington and Princeton (scaled differently) -- it has no 'in-universe' connection.

Good job as always, LOAF. :)

Originally posted by =Gemini=
That wouldn't be the 2nd Supercarrier after the Midway...
It should also be noted that the 'supercarrier' and 'megacarrier' terms are not in any way official - they're just catchy names. In any case, the Vesuvius-class carriers were the 'supercarriers', the Midway-class the 'megacarriers'. Just to clarify. :)

Back