Halo News!

Dyret said:
Flood aside, Halo is the greatest FPS since the original Unreal, and I just can't wait to see the movie, or to play the other games in the series.

I can think of many FPSes that are better than both Unreal and Halo.

Half Life 1&2
Unreal Tournament GOTY
Far Cry
Fear
Dues Ex
System Shock 2
Elite Force 1&2
Soldier of Fortune
Call of Duty 1&2
Duke Nukem 3D
Dark Forces series minus JA
Chronicles of Riddick
Painkiller
and more....

Unreal was great for its time, but was easily bested by Half Life and most FPS made after HL. HL fundamentally changed FPS games for the better, to be smarter and more story driven.

As for Halo, the AI was great, the story was ok, and the outdoor enviroments and vehicles were pretty cool, but the main strike against it will always be repeditive level design. having to pass whats obviously the same room-hallway-bridge combination half a doven times in a row was stupidely annoying, and having what seemed like two-thirds of the game copy-pasted dropped the games standing from 'great' to merely 'ok' in my books.

I have only one problem with Halo Wars...It's only for the xbox 360...

My personal opinion is that it would be more popular if they released it also for PC...oh well...time to wait for a xbox 360 emulator.

I think what he means is that RTS games generally are better with a mouse.

Then why would he be waiting for an X-Box 360 emulator (the concept of which I was making fun of)? It'll still have the same interface.

(I think such things depend *entirely* on the game, anyway -- there's a gerat port of Dune 2 for the Sega Genesis...)

I'm sorry but Far Cry is terrible. At least on x360. I'm still mad I bought it.

I'm not sure I'd want something called 'Far Cry' on my gamercard. The X-Box 360 has taught me to only play games that I'm absolutely sure I want other people to know I've played. Badges of honor, of a sort.

hurleybird said:
I can think of many FPSes that are better than both Unreal and Halo.

I would agree that Deus Ex and SS2 are better... but they're not really pure FPS.

Bandit LOAF said:
Then why would he be waiting for an X-Box 360 emulator (the concept of which I was making fun of)? It'll still have the same interface.

Well, the entire concept of waiting for a 360 emulator is pretty funny, given how little headway we have of even creating a functional Xbox1 emulator. However, that's not to say that if a theoretical 360 emulator did exist that you wouldn't be able to benefit from improved controls. For example, I'm able to use a keyboard+mouse setup for Golden Eye and Perfect Dark through the emulator that I use, and it's far superior to using a gamepad IMHO.

Anyways, if Halo Wars ends up being a popular game (which I'm sure it will) we'll probably see it ported to Vista eventually.

Bandit LOAF said:
I'm not sure I'd want something called 'Far Cry' on my gamercard. The X-Box 360 has taught me to only play games that I'm absolutely sure I want other people to know I've played. Badges of honor, of a sort.

I usually don't go all willy nilly when it comes to video games, usually just buying games I'm confident will be good from the get go. However I had a lapse of judgment (and a period of intense boredom) one day at Target, and remembering all the good things I had heard about Far Cry, I decided to get the X360 version. Then I played it and died a little on the inside.

Mav23 said:
I usually don't go all willy nilly when it comes to video games, usually just buying games I'm confident will be good from the get go. However I had a lapse of judgment (and a period of intense boredom) one day at Target, and remembering all the good things I had heard about Far Cry, I decided to get the X360 version. Then I played it and died a little on the inside.

What is the multiplayer like, Mav? I played Farcry for the original xbox and although the single player story was mind numbingly boring, the split screen multiplayer was pretty fun. Never played it online though.

Haven't played online or any multiplayer yet. Me and my friends tried to trudge through the single player for about half an hour before agreeing to banish the game to the shoebox.

Actualy I was making fun of the idea of a xbox 360 emulator...There probably never will be one untill twenty years from now.

Heh. Sarcasm can be hard to convey over internet forums. A '~~~' or /jk might help though :)

*edit*

Why the heck is l-o-l censored?

|-o-| isn't censored, but this is a Wing Commander forum -- go talk about TIE Fighters somewhere else.

Bandit LOAF said:
|-o-| isn't censored, but this is a Wing Commander forum -- go talk about TIE Fighters somewhere else.

Heh no, It's 'l' 'o' 'l' that is censored... aka "laughing out loud" ...thats funny though.

Back