Halo News!

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
Dundradal said:
Are we not all fans of another game where a pilot of uncanny skill survives more than a decade fighting a generic race that decides the human race must be eliminated?
Hehe, I know, I was just teasing :p. Though it has to be said, Halo did a really awful job at introducing itself. I remember the first time I read through Claw Marks, and found myself hugely impressed by the game's depth. WC1 itself had a rather generic storyline as you point out - but the manual did a fantastic job hiding this from the player. Halo didn't do this at all - the way Halo's manual described the Covenant is nothing short of cringe-worthy. That was probably the reason I never bothered playing further than that bit where you drive that buggy through a tunnel - the manual, the intro, and the game up until that point gave me no reason whatsoever to expect anything interesting later.
 

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
Bandit LOAF said:
|-o-| isn't censored, but this is a Wing Commander forum -- go talk about TIE Fighters somewhere else.

Tau Four... Mission Critical... Forum Under Attack!
 

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Quarto said:
Hehe, I know, I was just teasing :p. Though it has to be said, Halo did a really awful job at introducing itself. I remember the first time I read through Claw Marks, and found myself hugely impressed by the game's depth. WC1 itself had a rather generic storyline as you point out - but the manual did a fantastic job hiding this from the player. Halo didn't do this at all - the way Halo's manual described the Covenant is nothing short of cringe-worthy. That was probably the reason I never bothered playing further than that bit where you drive that buggy through a tunnel - the manual, the intro, and the game up until that point gave me no reason whatsoever to expect anything interesting later.

Hehe. Yeah the manual was pretty lacking and just starting out as the POA jumps to Halo with little about what had just happened (The Fall of Reach). Until I read the novels I shared some of your thoughts.

Ah yes, the "not a natural formation" tunnel Cortana mentions (one of the worst lines in a game I mean obviously it's not a natural formation we're on a giant space ring!)
 

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
Dundradal said:
Hehe. Yeah the manual was pretty lacking and just starting out as the POA jumps to Halo with little about what had just happened (The Fall of Reach). Until I read the novels I shared some of your thoughts.
Well, is the book based on the game, or the game based on the book? :p This cross-media stuff is really getting increasingly annoying - one of the great things about the WC novels was that you didn't have to read any of them to understand the games. They were a bonus, not required reading.
 

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Quarto said:
Well, is the book based on the game, or the game based on the book? :p This cross-media stuff is really getting increasingly annoying - one of the great things about the WC novels was that you didn't have to read any of them to understand the games. They were a bonus, not required reading.

The book ends right at the beginning of the game. You do not need to read the novels to understand the games. Very few of the events mentioned in the novels are shown in the games, off the top of my head the only mention that jumps to mind in the original Halo is at the very beginning when Captain Keyes mentions Reach in the opening cut scene. The second novel covers the game is so-so, it is mostly nice because it shows you what the other humans on Halo were up to. First Strike simply bridges the time between Halo and Halo 2. None of the events mentioned in it are brought up during Halo 2, which annoys a lot of people because everyone wants to know what happened to the remaining Spartan IIs. Ghosts of Onyx comes out at the end of this month and will almost certainly answer that question.

I consider them a bonus similar to the WC novels in that they add depth to the universe, but they are not required reading.
 

Delance

Victory, you say?
This is amazing. Thanks to LOAF for sharing this incredible finding, and for the CIC for hosting it.
 

Quarto

Unknown Enemy
Dundradal said:
The book ends right at the beginning of the game. You do not need to read the novels to understand the games.
Right, but you had mentioned in your previous post that until you read the novels, you agreed with some of what I said about Halo's storyline, which, IMO, implies that you do in fact need the novels to enjoy Halo, because without them, the first game is just another boring FPS.
 

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
I didn't read them until after I had played both games and enjoyed the games immensely. After having read them and the newly released HGN I found Halo story to be as indepth as Marathon's with a much larger fanbase.
 

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
I've seen them around but I've never really been into books based on video games. Excepting Wing Commander of course but the two I found were a fluke and I've never seen them in any stores since.
 

Vinman

Vice Admiral
Youngblood said:
I must admit i didnt know there were any novels:eek:
a few years ago my roommate (a big football player and a massive nerd) showed me his halo novels and told me to read them and I guess I said no too many times because one time I came back to my room and he had disassembled my bed :D
 

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Ghosts of Onyx ships in a week...the teaser chapter that is floating around just raises more questions than it answers...
 

Ace Rimmer

Spaceman
Good news!...I made a mistake! “Halo 3” and “Halo Wars” are two completely different games! That’s 2 new “Halo” games at once!
 

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
There probably shouldn't have been much confusion over this. When they announced it over a month ago, they said Halo Wars was a real-time strategy spinoff being developed by a different studio.
 
Top