Halo News!

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Just thought people might want to check out the latest expansions to the Halo universe. check it out over at bungie.net pretty great stuff. Halo Wars trailer over at HBO looks amazing.

Interesting news indeed. A Halo RTS doesn't really interest me all that much although I'm sure it will be well done. (I'm kind of interested to see how that will play out on the xbox 360). The partnership with Peter Jackson to produce another Halo related title sounds very intriguing though but at this point basically nothing is known about the title.

Yeah, the flood does really *really* suck... when will the game companies figure out that *nobody* enjoys killing countless little spider/bug things.

The flood is much more than just a mindless killing machine. "I am a Momument to all your Sins." The Gravemind. They are quite a curveball that was thrown into Halo and with more and more Halo stuff coming out (New Novel Ghosts of Onyx at end of October) it should be interesting to learn more about the nature of the flood.

Flood suck? Hardly. Some of the best "Oh Shi---" moments I've ever had are while combating the Flood. There's something distinctly creepy about the whole thing - and that makes for quite enjoyable gameplay.

Howard Day said:
Flood suck? Hardly. Some of the best "Oh Shi---" moments I've ever had are while combating the Flood. There's something distinctly creepy about the whole thing - and that makes for quite enjoyable gameplay.
Yes, one of the things that saved Halo from being a totally repetetive game was the flood. But for story they seemed just like the cliched "technologically inferior race with lots of numbers that is a parasite" thing.

Lt.Death100 said:
Yes, one of the things that saved Halo from being a totally repetetive game was the flood.

Really? I thought the flood was pretty repeditive... just send wave after wave of the same enemies at you --not to mention that the flood was introduced during the library level. IMO the thing that saved halo from being completely repeditive were the excellent outdoor sections.

hurleybird said:
Really? I thought the flood was pretty repeditive... just send wave after wave of the same enemies at you --not to mention that the flood was introduced during the library level. IMO the thing that saved halo from being completely repeditive were the excellent outdoor sections.
The flood was a real challenge to players because of the sheer amount of them. If I remember correctly there was nothing else really on that level at the time. Plus the outdoor sections are what was really repetitive. Of course different people put different emphasis on different things so I know you're going to disagree so lets just agree to disagree ok? :)

Lt.Death100 said:
If I remember correctly there was nothing else really on that level at the time.

Actually I think that was because of the flood.;)

I'll try to explain why I hate the flood when I get back from school.

Lt.Death100 said:
The flood was a real challenge to players because of the sheer amount of them. If I remember correctly there was nothing else really on that level at the time. Plus the outdoor sections are what was really repetitive. Of course different people put different emphasis on different things so I know you're going to disagree so lets just agree to disagree ok? :)

Heh... sure. Weird, we have completely different views on Halo :)

Lt.Death100 said:
Yes, one of the things that saved Halo from being a totally repetetive game was the flood. But for story they seemed just like the cliched "technologically inferior race with lots of numbers that is a parasite" thing.

Sweet mother. I HIGHLY recommend you check out the Halo Story Page maintained by Jillybean. The story is much more complex than think. If there is one thing Bungie has consistently done right it is the story. All its prior titles are very story driven, as most of the older members here will tell you my other game passion besides WC is Marathon from Bungie.

I would not call the Flood technologically inferior. They are able to learn knowledge from the host bodies they occupy. That's why in the original Halo 343 Guilty Spark makes note in thel Library level that the flood are repairing the Pillar of Autumn to make an escape. The Halo Graphic Novel also shows a lot about flood "culture" they are seen on the Infinite Succor to pile bodies together in order to create "graveminds" to aid in their cause. They created patrols and recon forces in the novel The Flood. They are much more than a parasite with seemingly endless numbers.

Dyret said:
Actually I think that was because of the flood.

The Library level only has 343 GS, the Chief, the flood and sentinels on it. There is also one other human on it but he dies prior to the MC arriving. The flood are in the Library because they are trying to prevent a reclaimer from retreiving the index and activating Halo's primary weapon. No other humans or members of the Covenant had penetrated into that part of Installation 04 yet.

Howard Day said:

How can anyone ever forget the first encounter with the Flood in Halo? The music. That god damn sound and then hundreds of little popping airbags running at you from everywhere.

Nothing worse than being in a battle then all of the sudden being bitchslapped from behind by a combat form.

I can't wait to see what comes of Gravemind and Cortana in Halo 3. Can anyone say rampant AI in cohoots with a massively intelligent viral entity? Durandal (not me, Rampant AI from Marathon series) would be so proud of his sister.

Also, for anyone who hasn't watched the Halo Wars trailer yet. Wow. Looks really good, although granted it's not in the game engine (which is new, because all previous Halo trailers from Bungie use the game's engine to produce them) it looks amazing. Seeing Spartans in their Mk IV armor (no it's not the new armor seen on the cover of Ghosts of Onyx) was pretty cool. They should be devastating on the battlefield. "They want a war, we'll give them a war"

Dundradal said:
Sweet mother. I HIGHLY recommend you check out the Halo Story Page maintained by Jillybean. The story is much more complex than think. If there is one thing Bungie has consistently done right it is the story.
Hehe, we are talking about the game where you play some kind of super-soldier on a last-ditch mission to save the universe from "the Covenant", a generic group of random alien races that, for no particular reason, decided that mankind must be annihilated, right? :p

My favorite thing about the Flood is that I just totally didn't see them coming at ALL. I was completely blindsided (blindsighted?).

Quarto said:
"the Covenant", a generic group of random alien races that, for no particular reason, decided that mankind must be annihilated, right? :p

Evil aliens have the pesky habit of seldom giving any adequate reasoning to their decisions to destroy mankind. That said, "the Covenant" seems a popular name for villain right now.

Delance said:
Evil aliens have the pesky habit of seldom giving any adequate reasoning to their decisions to destroy mankind.

Like the Kilrathi, and the Nephilim. Despite that, Wing Commander still has an awesome story. Halo has an 'ok' story, IMO.

Quarto said:
Hehe, we are talking about the game where you play some kind of super-soldier on a last-ditch mission to save the universe from "the Covenant", a generic group of random alien races that, for no particular reason, decided that mankind must be annihilated, right? :p

Are we not all fans of another game where a pilot of uncanny skill survives more than a decade fighting a generic race that decides the human race must be eliminated?

I see the Halo story very much comparable in terms of depth and scope. The novels are not unlike the WC ones, in that they introduce/expand on characters that make for a much richer environment. Think Richards and Bondarevsky and Dr. Halsey and the other Spartan IIs.

I think the story is much deeper and more complex. To point to my favorite Bungie product check out the Marathon Story Page. One of the most indepth stories ever created for a game IMO.

Mav23 said:
My favorite thing about the Flood is that I just totally didn't see them coming at ALL. I was completely blindsided (blindsighted?).

That is the greatest thing about them. No one saw them coming.

Dundradal said:
That is the greatest thing about them. No one saw them coming.

I honestly thought the attack of the flood was kind of anticlimatic. The whole episode was trying so hard to get "something horrible is going to happen" across, and the whole thing just scared the crap out of me, and then suddenly a bunch of inflated seafood like creatures came bouncing against me in a very non-scary fashion. I was kinda dissapointed then, since I had expected something far worse, but then I thought: Hey, at least it's an original idea. The "host creatures" were pretty neat, but it all came down to two episodes of extremely boring and repetive space-prawn popping.

The downed Covenant cruiser could have been good, but the way they killed off Captain Keyes seemed so cheap. "Hey, you know the guy you were supposed to save? WELL, HE'S A GREEN GOOEY BLOB NOW, HAHAHA!"
Stupid way to kill off one of the games greatest characters.

The final episode more than made up for the crappiness og the others, though, and you could even forgive the flood for existing. And lets just face it: A handfull of space-prawns bringing down one of the super-armored Covenant-creatures is plain awesome!

Flood aside, Halo is the greatest FPS since the original Unreal, and I just can't wait to see the movie, or to play the other games in the series.

Back