Freespace series

Since i recently got a labtop computer i've been looking into space combat pc games beside wing commander like Starlancer,Freelancer,Freespace. As i have been following WC Saga and knew that the team would be using the Freespace 2 engine i went and brought the freespace 2 to fimilar myself with the engine. Now i know it's not required to play WC Saga when it's released but after playing fs2 i've been wondering what other games are in the Freespace series other than '2' of course.

yeah. it's like Descent, Descent II, Descent 3, then Descent: Freespace. then Freespace 2 i think. but im 100% sure. i liked Descent. II was ok but it felt the same as the first. never played three or freespace. but i did play freespace 2. oh. then there's the expansion Descent II: Vertigo Series

Descent was great, im only just starting to play Freespace 2 - mainly I got it for the Saga mod too (as i did Nexus).

anybody remember Terminal Velocity?

the gamplay wasnt that great, but for the time the graphics were outstanding, I think it's what MS repackaged as one of the first Win95 games - Fury 3

In my mind, while Decent and Freespace 1 was listed as Decent Freespace: The Great War, the Decent series and the Freespace series seem to be rather seperate universes (different technologies, different factions, different politics, etc.).

So, in the Freespace series, you have Freespace 1: The Great War, an add on to Freespace one called Silent Enemy which was really quite well done, and then Freespace 2. If you google Hard Light Productions, they have many, many fan and creator-made missions, campaigns, and mods that you can download legally for free. The most popular of these are Inferno, Derelict, and the Babylon project, with many others already completed or actively in progress.

In short, if you want to know about Freespace, visit Hard Light Productions. If you want to know about WC, this is the place to be.

Here's a question...are there any really decent mods currently out for Freespace 1 or 2? The ability to use the engines to make custom mods is nice...you'd think someone would be able to come up with a decent game.

I played The Babylon Project a while back; it was fun, but I prefer I've Found Her. It seems the FS community is more concerned with making pseudo-sequels and fan missions than original content.

I remeber Descent without such fond memories. I think I first played it when I was around 7, and played it solidly for a whole day, only stopping to eat, sleep, and go to the toilet. The next day I had the worst headache I have ever had in my whole life, it hurt to move. It took about a week to wear off fully, any sudden movement caused me gradually decreacing levels of pain. I have never played a game as obsessivley as I've played decsent since. At least not one with as many flashing lights anyway.

I have not played Freespace 1 or 2 for ages and I remember going tothe Voltare (not sure of the spelling) website and download a campagin here and there.
What was the most popular mod/campaign for the two Freespace games??

Dahan said:
I have not played Freespace 1 or 2 for ages and I remember going tothe Voltare (not sure of the spelling) website and download a campagin here and there.
What was the most popular mod/campaign for the two Freespace games??

I kinda like "The Babylon Project"...

Thanks I had a look at it.
I dont exactly need Freespace 2 to run the Babylon project do I?
I think I need it

No, they have a standalone release, just like the Saga team is planning... You'll have to download the campaigns seperatly, though...

hmm makes sense...didnt expect it to be that big...200 odd so meg, damn lucky i got ADSL
you don't know what is happening with WC Saga? had a look at their site, did say much about their release and all

Freespace 2 is a really great quality program if you want something to never work and crash your computer/give you runtime errors any time you start the game.

LeHah said:
Freespace 2 is a really great quality program if you want something to never work and crash your computer/give you runtime errors any time you start the game.

Sounds like you're running it on Win2K.:p

LeHah said:

Never had that happen to me. But to be honest I've only played it occassionally...

Speaking of descent, I didn't really get into it that much. My friend got that game when he got his first PC so I played it a couple of times. I wasn't all that impressed. It was neat but I kept getting turned upside down and such (at the time, it seemed clunky to me). Nothing compared to the fun of my Wing Commander games. :)

Dyret said:
Sounds like you're running it on Win2K.:p

I forget what OS I was running at the time when I had it. Possibly ME, God help me - but myself and two friends tried to get it to work on three seperate computers, all with the same effect.

Maj.Striker said:
Never had that happen to me. But to be honest I've only played it occassionally...

I must admit to thinking about popping it in to trying it again, but between work and DVD collecting and writing and finally reading again and internet stuff and telling Goku to shut up, I've been too busy to do it.

Back