Firekkans

are you joking? Please tell me if I'm loosing or not, because I absolutely HAVE to beat SM-2!

Wow... why would I be joking? You beat that mission and I believe you have 1 mission left. That would be covering the Claw's retreat from the system. It's actually impossible to lose the series you're currently playing in other ways that dying. So you really don't have to worry about it. Live and you move onto the last mission.

TC

Originally posted by $tormin
RAM THEM UNTIL THEY GIVE UP*
*non sexual reference for those of you with diseased minds
Only someone with a diseased mind would see a reference in that in the first place. :)

Ah, yes SM2. It always seemed funny to me that Confed would take off straight after gaining a new ally. The game did portray the campaign's victory as all fluffy and light, but the I guess Freedom Flight shows the 'reality' of the situation. True, there's not much Confed can do against five sector fleets concentrated on one system, but they should at least have mopped up the systems which were left undefended.

Tactically speaking, abandoning all your sectors like that is a very bad military move. Why couldn't Confed take all those systems? Not enough occupation forces?

Eh? Maniac was even more of a maniac than he was in the rest of the series in the Secret Missions. Or have you forgot how he lost it in Operation Thor's Hammer? Or how he told Blair how he wanted to reload his missiles with ESK-5 explosives in the Antares Quadrant? :)

I MEANT that he WAS more of a maniac in the SM missions. Sorry for the confusion there... :)

Tactics to save the Firekkans

How about mining the SHIT out of the orbit around Firekka. Maybe sealing the jumppoints? Or mining the hell out of those jumppoints?

Perhaps have many tankers with mines in order to replace destroyed mines from all the Killie ships coming through!

I never played SM2 so excuse me for the question, but what is the technology level of the Firekkans ?
I mean if they are too primitive, of course we HAVE to save them, but they will do poor allies...

[Edited by Sadic on 05-26-2001 at 07:30]

They're very primitive -- their only spacecraft are Draymans we sold them <G>

As for mining orbit... stop to think -- that'd be a very, very stupid thing to do; although it might stop the Kilrathi from landing, it'd be very very painfull when all of the mines do what all orbiting objects eventually must...

You could set em up with a remote detonator (something that should be standard anyway) and either when your done with the mines, or they start to fall out of the sky, you just make em go boom.

Mines would be no problem when it comes to de-orbiting - they're small enough to burn up completely, especially since the explosive charge would (presumably) ignite long before they could do any harm. However, they are certainly not a solution, because it would take far too many mines.

A better alternative would be to mine the jump points. This too, however, is not an option. Remember, all those Kilrathi fleets entered the system so quickly that Confed barely had time to react. There was no time whatsoever for defense - a retreat followed by a counter-offensive was not just the only sensible option, but actually the only option.

All in all, it is very difficult to fault Confed strategy during Firekka. The situation was that the entire Kilrathi fleet was in the Firekka system. Confed could have done the same. This, however, would have triggered a confrontation bigger than even MacAuliffe, but with us at a disadvantage, since they would be in defensive positions. This battle would have ended the Kilrathi War - but the risk of the wrong ending was too high. And, if we reject the 'entire fleet' option, Confed's 'disrupt the ceremony while advancing into Kilrathi space elsewhere' tactic was the only way to go. Even for the Firekkans, this was the healthiest possible option.

Mines wouldn't really *stop* an invasion -- they'd just slow it down... they won't destroy huge Kilrathi fleets, simply require the use of a minesweeper.

Still, giant fields of explosives around a planet really can't be good for it.

well, with the help of the Tiger's Claw, the Firekkans were able to kick out the Kats themselves' :)

Not quite... the Kilrathi had to retreat -- the failure of the Sivar ceremony and the advancing Confed fleets on other fronts meant that they couldn't hold the reletively worthless Firekka system...

that's why I said, "thanks to the Tiger's Claw", who's pilots helped eliminate some of the heavier ships in the system.

Back