Epee Gripes.

The Epee is one of the best fighters ever. It's not all about aiming at a target and sitting on space bar. Once you realize that, you shouldn't have any problem flying it. :p

Are you serious? Climbing into the epee cockpit, was like climbing into your own coffin.

I've decided I like the Epee. At least the one in Standoff. Damn shame we don't get to fly it in the campaign... but then, the campaign is supposed to be *hard*. Being able to pick the Epee would likely make it easier than intended.

Those of you who have not tried flying Standoff's Epee - you should!

I've decided I like the Epee. At least the one in Standoff. Damn shame we don't get to fly it in the campaign... but then, the campaign is supposed to be *hard*. Being able to pick the Epee would likely make it easier than intended.

Those of you who have not tried flying Standoff's Epee - you should!

As great as standoff is, it does NOT do the Epee its justice, play WC2, then you'll see how bad it is.

As great as standoff is, it does NOT do the Epee its justice, play WC2, then you'll see how bad it is.

Oh, I've played WC2 - and I agree, the Epee was horrid. Simply horrid. A deathtrap of a fighter if ever there was one. I'd take the Scimitar, Hellcat, or Crossbow for most any mission over the Epee. Let alone the Ferret, which I swear was as tough and resilient as your average heavy fighter. You simply could not indulge in ANY aggressive tactics in an Epee whatsoever. Flying the WC2 Epee into combat is akin to riding a plywood motorcycle soaked with nitroglycerine through a slalom course while 10,000 NASCAR fans are gleefully flicking cigarettes and molotov cocktails at you.

Oh c'mon Toast, it ain't THAT bad...

V Kent

Okay, well, sure, I guess I'm exaggerating. But I still think it quite possible that the highest-ranking Kilrathi aces were fed a steady diet of WC2 Epees during their careers. Oh what a difference the engine makes...

Well, the renowned Confed pilot Daredevil was shot down by three Jalkehis while piloting an Epee...as was Colonel Lombard, though he had to fight against seven Jalkehis. :) (both from the WCA manual)

Well, the renowned Confed pilot Daredevil was shot down by three Jalkehis while piloting an Epee...as was Colonel Lombard, though he had to fight against seven Jalkehis. :) (both from the WCA manual)

Both these incidents are more due the enemy's strength and pilot overconfidence then a flaw in the Epee. Taking on three heavy fighters at once in a light fighter is a bad idea. Taking on seven heavy fighters at once in a light fighter is insanity.

Both these incidents are more due the enemy's strength and pilot overconfidence then a flaw in the Epee. Taking on three heavy fighters at once in a light fighter is a bad idea. Taking on seven heavy fighters at once in a light fighter is insanity.

True, but sometimes we have no choice. The Kilrathi generally had numerical superiority, so sometimes there was no helping it. Given that by WC2, the Kilrathi had wised up and put rear turrets on ALL their frontline heavy fighters (or at least, Grikath and Jalkehi; even if Jalthi and Gratha are still in service, we don't fight against them in WC2, and we don't see any of the Armada heavies in WC2 either), the Epee didn't have many favorable match-ups left.

It would also mean that every mission in Standoff is complete insanity, even if it's not strictly canon.

Well yes the missions in Standoff are complete insanity. That's the idea--a carrier with only one squadron of out-of-date fighters trying to hold off an invasion because the only alternative is to let the invaders take over the whole system.

Oh, I wasn't trying to point out a flaw of the Epee, I am one of her supporters. I thought it just fitting to Toast's previous post:

(...)But I still think it quite possible that the highest-ranking Kilrathi aces were fed a steady diet of WC2 Epees during their careers.

Anyway, I would take on three Jalkehis in an Epee anytime. Seven, well, I'd try.

Seven Jalkehis in one epee. I'd say that was a miricale the likes of which will never be seen again.

It's a miracle that a single Epee was shot down by 7 Jalkehis? You do have even more faith in the Epee's capabilities. :D

Well yes the missions in Standoff are complete insanity. That's the idea--a carrier with only one squadron of out-of-date fighters trying to hold off an invasion because the only alternative is to let the invaders take over the whole system.

Yes, my point exactly - under other circumstances it would be insane, but the alternative at the time is completely unpalatable.

Oh, I wasn't trying to point out a flaw of the Epee, I am one of her supporters. I thought it just fitting to Toast's previous post:

Anyway, I would take on three Jalkehis in an Epee anytime. Seven, well, I'd try.

It's a miracle that a single Epee was shot down by 7 Jalkehis? You do have even more faith in the Epee's capabilities. :D

I meant it the other way around. An epee being able to take down 7 Jalkehis and living to tell about it, is pretty much a miricale.

The trick is to attack the side of the enemy fighters when you are in an Epee. When you have that down, and learn how to do several evasive monuevers. You can "pwn" the Kilrathi any day anytime.

The Epee was welcome after having that Broadsword. Even though the Broadsword was also awesome to fly.

I meant it the other way around. An epee being able to take down 7 Jalkehis and living to tell about it, is pretty much a miricale.

I know but you have misunderstood my original post: Colonel Lombard was shot down while fighting 7 Jalkehis. He didn't shoot down 7 while flying an Epee. :)

Back