Drayman firepower

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i looked into that maual art, and apparently the centurion can take a belly turret!
surprise surprise...

tho i donno how good it would be to actually have in game.

-scheherazade

The Centurion with a belly turret?
::eek:
Wow!

"maybe we can seriously make a campaign of it, and actaully let people play the campaign for the first time :D"
You have my support!
::D

Unregistered said:
so i looked into that maual art, and apparently the centurion can take a belly turret!
tho i donno how good it would be to actually have in game.
Not good at all, unless it replaced (rather than complimented) the rear turret. Two turrets on the Centurion would make it too good.

LOAF said:
By a great coincidence I just found out that I'm going to get a look at the Privateer 3 (last version) script tonight! Hopefully that'll be available in the archive in the coming weeks.
hellcatv said:
Then perhaps we'll have another campaign to work with ;-)
feel free to share it if you like
This would be really really cool. It would be great to have an entirely new campaign, and we would be afforded a little more freedom in interpreting ships (at least without people getting bitter) than with the original stuff. Something to look forward to once the original is nailed down.

Maybe in that campaign we can belly mount a turret on the centurion.. it'll be an old ship by then, it could probably use it ;)

MamiyaOtaru said:
Maybe in that campaign we can belly mount a turret on the centurion.. it'll be an old ship by then, it could probably use it ;)

Interesting...
New ships that replaces the old ones (like the MiG-29 and the MiG-21, the F-35 and the F-16 etc.), and mid-life improvements (F-15A, C, E)...
But this will be a great thing only if the new ships and/or models won't be available all together and all from the beginning...

A wothy idea, MamiyaOtaru!

A first-hand report: take it as it is.
Yesterday I've amassed the necessary credits to buy a Drayman.
Thanks God I've saved before this unholy act.
To make it short: the Drayman has a cargo hold that is 5 time the cargo hold of the Tarsus (500 Vs. 100) but the firepower, the power generator, the shield generator and so on are the same of the Tarsus, if not worse.
The cost of a Tarsus is, more or less, 20000 cr.
The cost of a Drayman is, more or less, 1200000 cr.
Like 60 Tarsus.
(The cargo hold of 60 Tarsus? 6000...)
Globally: the Drayman is a very very very low cost-effective ship...

I would up the cargo significantly - the Drayman isn't supposed to be a U-Haul truck to the Tarsus' minivan... it's an oil tanker to the Tarsus' minivan.

Thought it could upgrade to shield level 8 and reactor level 8... I'll have to double check (level 9 is for paradigms)

Wow!
Far beyond my wildest dream!
Well, if it's true that in the V1.0 the Paradigm will be an NPC' ship, a "honest" privateer like me what kind of capital ship will buy?! The Drayman, of course!
::)

"well we'd prefer to keep it as close to the original as possible"

Except you're adding repulsor beams, and auto-tracking weapons, and a host of other things that were never in the original game...

overmortal said:
Furthermore, chances are I outmass and outweigh you, unless you're a very fat person.

Like that matters on the internet....

Sorry, now you stooped lower than him.

I'm a bit curious...

As I'm familiar with the antics in Freelancer, and the many MechWarrior games...
I wonder if the Drayman could fall into the category of "Capable of having, but doesn't necessarily have."
In Freelancer, the freighters are, for the most part, capable of having 6-8 turrets, but most of the loadouts only have 1-3 turrets.
In the MechWarrior games, most of the BattleMechs are capable of having a lot of armor, and enough heat sinks to keep from shutting down everytime they fire their weapons, but most have paper thin armor, and only enough heat sinks to allow only one or two weapons to be fired at a time.

So...
Could it be that the Drayman was (is) capable of carrying weapons, but just never had them installed?

But then, again...
I don't recall any of the Cargo ships in Privateer 2 having weapons, either.

This thread was 4 months old before it was ressurected for some reason. I beleive that there were at least ten versions of the game between now and then, 4 of which were released to the public (beta8, beta9, 1.0 Pre-release 5, and 1.0 Final). AFAIK the Drayman has remained untouched throughout that time.

IMO a Drayman with 6 turrets would be insanely powerful, seeing as how you can mount Tachyons or Plasmas on all 6 of those turrets. But, if you want to edit the game and get a Drayman with 6 turrets, feel free. Since the default Drayman does not have 6 turrets 4 months after this discussion, I assume the devlopers intend it to be how it is.

Understandable.

I realize that they are being completely faithful to the original game.

I'm still curious, though.
The Drayman has/had bulges that appear similar to those that house weapons on the Paradigm, IIRC.
That has always made me wonder if the Drayman should've/could've had weapons, but simply wasn't given them?

I can understand the reasoning for their not having them.
It would basically give pirates access to a Paradigm-like attack ship.
Which would make the game entirely unbalanced.

I was just curious to find out if Roberts had originally designed it to have weapons, and then came to his senses.

And, for the record, I prefer "remakes" and "mods" to be as faithful as possible.
(I got railroaded into doing "Privateer: The Reckoning" in the form it ended up in.)

"I realize that they are being completely faithful to the original game."

But that's just it, they're not. There is plenty of equipment and there are plenty of upgrades in this game that never existed in the original Privateer.

That said, for them to refuse to modify the Drayman on the grounds of keeping it Canon is silly. Now, if they just plain don't think it's a good idea, that's another thing. "Authenticity", however, can't be claimed.

Well at least I don't mind at all if they have tried to make Remake a bit more versatile than the original.

Auto-tracking weapons for impatient people who can't aim seem silly, though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back