Did Commodore Blair die in 5?!?!?!?!!?

colblair64, here's a little tip. See the four pics above your posts. When you want to update or edit one your posts, Clcik on the third picture above it. This will let you edit that post, while double posting.

------------------
Meson

Wing Commander is more than just a game. It is a lifestyle.

Actually, Earthworm, Bear and Tolwyn were already in the Navy (note that they graduated from the Academy and held naval ranks). Tolwyn just flew a fighter for the McAuliffe engagement.

A better example, perhaps, would be that Spyder transferred from the Marines to the Space Force.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Nope, they both were in the Space Forces. I know Bear's rank in ER is given as Lt. Commander, but that could be an example of Forstchenizm. Just like Angels rank is a Commander, or Lt. Commander in the movie books Bear's navy rank s a mistake.

Note that the Terran Naval academy from which Tolwyn graduated isn't just for Navy personel.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited September 19, 2000).]

Ah, then that would explain that. A simple Forstchenism (hey, I've coined a new term!). But Tolwyn was always in the Navy, right?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited September 19, 2000).]

Nope, at the academy he was trained as a fighter pilot, and flying fighters is what he did in the first years of the war.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited September 19, 2000).]

Depends, at the end of AS, he said he'll take a job of commanding a light frigate, though something could have happened and he didn't do that. Anyhow, in some later battles over McAuliffe he flew fighters.

Tolwyn became a Light Frigate captain after Action Stations, and we don't know that he ever went back to flying fighters -- he *planned* the McAuliffe/Enyo Engagements as a naval Captain, he did not actually fly the Raptors. (Of course, if you want to get technical, Tolwyn does end up flying again at least once... defending the Tiger's Claw in a Scimitar in 2654).

The various military branches in Wing Commander are quite not equal to the branches today -- there is a lot more dependence on eachother.

Like in reality, both the Space (Air) Force and the Navy fly fighters -- unlike reality, however, both fly fighters off of Naval carriers... something the Air Force today would certainly not do.

You see a lot of transfering between the various services -- Marines to Space Forces, Space Forces to Navy, and so forth... something you definately wouldn't see today.

Pilots recieve their basic flight training and earn their wings before graduation (from the TCSA in Houston (a five year program) in the case of Tolwyn or the TCSNA on Hilthros (a four year program) in the case of Blair and company), and then go to a very short advanced training (on Luna, in the case of TCSA graduates) or flight school on Sirius (in the case of TCSNA graduates). Some cadets then go on to a command school (the Wing Commander Academy).

(Another fun note... there is a Terran Confederation Army, we just never see it).

And stop saying 'Forstchenism'.

This was partly my criteria for basing Space Force on Marines. In real life, the Air Force usually does NOT fly off carriers. However, Marines do for the most part. But, i dont know enough about the sieres to see the seperation between marines and space force. Basically you cant switch branches because of the education taught during training. But, this is just opinion.

About the confed army thing, could you explain? This certainly piques my interest.

There's really not much to know about the Confed Army. Not much has been said about them. It seems they're used for long term planetary fighting, the Marines being used for quick attacks (and sometimes the longer-term fights).

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

When have we ever seen naval pilots in WC? I'm sure there have been quite a few times, but thinking back to different pilots, all I can remember are pilots with Space Force rankings, unless some of the captians and lieutenants are actually naval, not space force officers.

Pretty much the only reference to the Confed Army is in Fleet Action, right?

In space, though, I'd think they'd be pretty useless, except for long-term occupational or defense forces, perhaps.

------------------

TC said:
There's really not much to know about the Confed Army. Not much has been said about them. It seems they're used for long term planetary fighting, the Marines being used for quick attacks (and sometimes the longer-term fights).

We don't know much about them, but I think we have seen armies in action in WC4. I'm guessing whenever there are tanks on a planet, it is probably the work of army, not marine personnel. I could be wrong, but from what we've seen of the marines they really aren't equipped to transport anything more than troops. The army must have a good deal of large troop transports with loads of shuttles for moving divisions of men and heavy weapons.

The army is also referred to in the Victory Streak in the military ratings/ranks section.

[This message has been edited by Wolf Dog (edited September 20, 2000).]

opps, my bad for replying when i meant to edit

[This message has been edited by Wolf Dog (edited September 20, 2000).]

The 1st Battalion had M-77 ground assault vehicles. I assume those are pretty much like tanks.

------------------

Well... hmmm... The first Navy flier I can think of (using the topic of this thread) would be Commodore Blair. Commodore is a Navy Rank (O7).

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

colblair64: to answer your question in less then 400 words...

You see Blair is..erm was in the military and people in the military die someties. Now don't you think that if he were alive they wouldn't have said he was dead? I know it seems odd and all but what can you do?
There are people; myself icluded. That dn't want to think he's dead. *singing* we love you Blair, oh yes we do.....
If it makes you feel better I can go on about how he will always be alive in our hearts.
Truth be nown. He's hiding out in swutzerland. Preparing for the next threat.

--------
Close cover before striking midget.

*Ensign* Tolwyn would be a good example of a Navy flier (G)

Anyway, we know that the Marines do have some assault vehicles... and that the tanks seen in WCIV belonged to mercenaries.

According to the WC3 novel, the Space Force is just a extension of the Navy, which... seems... odd... to... me.

------------------

Back