Did Commodore Blair die in 5?!?!?!?!!?

The whole system has always seemed kind of odd. It would have made more sense for Blair et al to be Navy fliers, instead of having two branches (and two chains of command) on one ship. Less chance for friction and bad morale. From the players POV, though their rarely was any of that, the first time you saw Space Forces and Navy differences really show up in the games was in WCIII, when Blair and Eisen talk about Hobbes.

IMO, it would make more sense for the pilots ff of carriers and cruisers to be Navy pilots and follow those ranks. Space Forces would consist of ground and Space Station based fighter craft that defend a given system. Unlike today where the US Air Force does not need the Navy to get to targets, though they need bases or at least refeuling, with the distances involved in space and the need for jumps, it would often be impractical for fighters to go from stationary bases to the front without carriers.

Of course despite the "flaws" of the ranking system, I still love the games. And it gives us something to talk about.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Tolwyn is a great example, don't know how that one slipped my mind. Man, it's been so long since I played WC4, I was really thinking that there were some friendly BW tanks on that planet as well that would have been BW Army, assuming there is such a thing. So much for my memory.

It's really too bad we never had to do air support for a full scale marine or army landing. It would be cool to see TC heavy ground forces ripping through an enemy base. That could make for some cool new missions, but would require more work on the atmospheric engine.

Back