Defiance's Eyecandy Thread

DefianceIndustries

Rear Admiral
Hello all,

I've been lurking around these forums for a good many years and figured I should probably properly introduce myself. But because it's rude to show up in someone's playground without bringing a toy I figured I'd share some of the wingnut work I've been doing of late.

Confed_Eisen_BG_SM.png

So some questions for the community. I notice there seems to be a bit of a lack of Nephilim ships so I figured I'd take a stab at them. I'm looking for feedback on the basic models - I'll get around to texturing them later, but based on their descriptions, they are at least partially bio-organic (the line art makes them look positively Geiger-esque) but I sort of took it (maybe too far) with the spines? Dunno. Like I said was hoping for a little constructive criticism. I'm also trying to keep it within a lower poly limit since I plan on converting them for anyone to use in FS2 or do a mod of my own someday if time permits.

Here's a first cut of the Orca:
Orca_profile_05-07.png
Orca_top offset_05-07.png

And the Leviathan. I wanted to make it look a bit less like a zeppelin.

leviathan_side_05-11.png

leviathan_top_05-11.png

leviathan_stern_05-11.png

Anyway Thanks in advance for any feedback you might have.

Welcome! It's always good to see a friendly ship!

Those Confed models look great!

I'm not sure I recall many, or any, others taking a stab at modeling the Nephilim ships. They look pretty good so far!

Your Nephilim ships look pretty decent so far. One thing I will point out is that most of the Nephilim capital ships are septagonal (as opposed to octagonal) in form; no doubt this was done to enhance how "alien" they looked in the game. It's probably another reason why not many folks have taken a stab at them; seven way symmetry is not offered all that often by most 3D modelling programs in my experience.

Thanks Dundradal! Glad to be here.

Capi - Oops I forgot about the models being heptagonal. On a lark though, I fired up blender, you can make a heptagon by creating a new circle and then reducing the number of vertices to 7. It would explain some of the issues I had positioning the turrets and missile batteries on the Orca. Great, thanks...now I'm going to have to go back and remodel the hulls...:p

There aren't many that have created Nep ships, though it isn't zero. The Empire at War mod had new models and I know there was someone creating those ships some years back including one based sololy on an Arena cockpit VDU silhouette.

Edit: JasonRocZ is who I was thinking of, though Dark Sentinel did some models as well.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to the forums!
I'd love to see some cool Nephilem ships again, so I am looking forward to what you will come up with. Those models you posted look like a great start!
For me the round shapes have always been a problem when I modelled stuff in 3D. (I also have to admit I am not a great 3D modeler anyway, so I am always happy to see somebody modeling WC ships since I cannot do it myself. :) )

When you walk in the sea and an eel bites your knee that's:
Moray_beaut.jpg
Moray_side.jpg
Moray_top.jpg

I swear I'll get around to texturing these guys sometime next week I hope. at least a good start on it.

@DefianceIndustries one of the modder on the Homeworld 2 mod, love your work. We love to add you on the team, your files don't have have to be that limited in polycount for homeworld since we can slice the mesh into several parts but it does help for fighter size ships to be in low count. The files are best to operate in obj, dae, or 3ds format so I can easily edit them in Max. Do you also have a steam account so we can you add to the team.

I also use Blender when building models for the Freespace Open engine, on which "Wing Commander Saga - The Darkest Dawn" is based. It a great program.

Would it be ok for you if someone ported your models for WCS once they're finished?

You may want to try and track down some of the Prophecy concept art done by Syd Mead, like this one:
http://banditloaf.tumblr.com/image/26042818854
(I wonder who's this is?)
There was some art for the capital ships knocking around a while back - a quick google search has not revealed them to me, but I'm not digging too deep right now.

I always assumed the geometry of the Nephilim ships was an engine limitation - I imagine they would be more circular/less polygonal if it were possible on hardware of the day. Pretty sure FS2Open can handle something a little more complex these days! And I would make the spines animated and bendy. Like tentacles. (I loved the design of the Neph. comm relay - looked kinda like a big space jellyfish)

That picture was part of the box art in that folding box. I remember being blown away by that picture. Really alien and organic looking.

I also use Blender when building models for the Freespace Open engine, on which "Wing Commander Saga - The Darkest Dawn" is based. It a great program.

Would it be ok for you if someone ported your models for WCS once they're finished?

The original idea was to import them into FS2 open, so sure I'd be happy to share them with folks who are way better with making POFs than I am. I always thought that the end of Secret Ops left a bunch of tantalizing questions begging for a sequel.

If I ever finish Sivar's Hand (which reminds me that I have to finish the last story chapter) and you have some ship models in the FS2 engine by then I might try and create a small "Cats vs. Bugs" mission... :D

The original idea was to import them into FS2 open, so sure I'd be happy to share them with folks who are way better with making POFs than I am. I always thought that the end of Secret Ops left a bunch of tantalizing questions begging for a sequel.

Excellent. :)

If I ever finish Sivar's Hand (which reminds me that I have to finish the last story chapter) and you have some ship models in the FS2 engine by then I might try and create a small "Cats vs. Bugs" mission... :D
That sounds like an interesting idea. So far we've seen Confeds and the UBW's (in Unkown Enemy) point-of-view on the Nephilim war, but not really from the Kilrathi's point-of-view.

Orca: Take 2. After listening to some feedback this version looks a bit less like a cactus and is a lot more tentical-ly. It's also Heptagonal as opposed to octagonal which actually helped a bunch. This model is also more similar to the line art version and less like the in-game model (and the poly count is about double).

Orca2_LineArt_Copy.png

Profile:
Orca2_Profile.png

Top View:
Orca2_Top.png

Back