Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Cockpit struts (WCP, SO)

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Option to Switch (Armada/WC3/KS)

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters

Starkey

Avenging Rooster
Do you guys like to fly with the cockpit fully visible, like in WC1, WC2, WC3, Armada, etc. or do you prefer a full screen combat view with those pop-up HUDs?

Personally, I think WC lost a little of its initial magic in WC4, when they "removed" the cockpit. And I´m not talking about "cockpit struts", I mean the real thing, like in the old games.

I had to go with the cockpits from the first games.

It always made it seem more " real " to me.

And now that I've FINALLY gotten my hands on KIlrathi Saga...I'll be able to revisit those ships of old.

I liked the bitmapped cockpits more than this interactive HUD. I has this 'classical' feeling.

Originally posted by Steelflight

...And now that I've FINALLY gotten my hands on KIlrathi Saga...I'll be able to revisit those ships of old.
...and to "drop" the WC 1/2 cockpits away at your pleasure.:cool:

full cockpit. it doesn't feel right without it

Originally posted by Steelflight
And now that I've FINALLY gotten my hands on KIlrathi Saga...I'll be able to revisit those ships of old.

congratulations!

One of the features that really immersed me into the WC games was having a visible cockpit in front of me. The WC3 cockpit views were the greatest ever. Especially the Hellcat V and Longbow ones.

Originally posted by Starkey
... I think WC lost a little of its initial magic in WC4, when they "removed" the cockpit.

I could not agree more!

Originally posted by Preacher
...and to "drop" the WC 1/2 cockpits away at your pleasure.:cool:

That'd be my favorite.. Armada/WC3 detailed cockpits.. that you can make invisible. Always great to fly the first few missions and show off the cockpits to others.. but after a while it gets more useful to have more screen real estate. Added the option to the poll.

I do believe Privateer stood apart from the other earlier cockpit games thoug. The cockpits there were really great. Some of them were also the most obtrusive ever.. really made it worth it to trade off certain ships. Visibility was an attribute you paid for just like extra gun hardpoints or speed. I also loved looking around the "cockpit room" each ship had. Man, that was great. I should fire up MyJEMM and visit it again!

I like the actual cockpits, too, but I also like having the option to turn it off if I want to.

It's amazing, I'm the only guy who voted for WCP/SO. Freelancer uses the same thing, it looks great.

Definitely cockpit for me. But only in singleplayer.
For multi player PvP space sims I'd of course use any advantage I can get including the bigger view screen or turning of an FF stick...

The few opportunities that I had to play Proving Grounds, I always played with the cockpit visible as a matter of principle (read: arrogance). Well, that and the fact that the Kilrathi cockpits in Armada were so incredibly cool.

My fave's are the WC1/WC2 cockpits... I guess I'm old school :) but I didn't like the very limited visibility the WC3 ones gave you (for some reason it bothered me a lot more than in WC1 or 2)...

I still mantain that what they did on WCP/WCSO was the best choice. I like the old style, but there are another matters. The same HUD for every ship makes it easy to go from one to another, and the cockpit struts give ships a "different" feeling. Imagine playing Freelancer if you had different HUDs for every pilotable ship. Not only it would be very difficult to do this stuff, but it would be harder to go from one ship to another.

WC1/2/Priv cockpits were possible because you had just a few piltoable ships (well, a lot on WC2). But when it comes to a game with a significant number of ships, it just gets too hard.

That's the whole point, though - that's why I like the original cockpits better. Because each ship felt completely different. You actually had to get used to the new cockpit. Every new ship you flew, it was great to see first the new take-off sequence and then the new interior graphics.

Actually, I think it's the other way around... Making every ship use the same generic HUD always seemed to me like a really cheap way of reducing the work needed to add extra ships.

And it's gotten worse as of late, since Freelancer's hundred pilotable ships not only do have the same HUDs, but also look a lot like each other, in groups (Sabre/Stiletto/Dagger, etc).

I think the next blockbuster space combat game will have a single model with 722 different paintjobs and stats, so that the publishers can put a big "722 different flyable ships!!!" sticker on the box. Bah.

--Eder

Originally posted by Delance
That's cool, but it somewhat restricts the number of pilotable ships in a game.

Unless there's a reason to fly each ship, that's just fine. And a reason shouldn't be that you can fly the level 22 ship because you reached level 22. Along the way, you should remember each ship and how it was cool and unique in its own way. The four ships in P1 had more character than the combined personality of all the ships in most modern games.

Back