• No cockpit (WC4, WCP, SO)

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Cockpit struts (WCP, SO)

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Option to Switch (Armada/WC3/KS)

Votes: 5 10.4%

• Total voters
Originally posted by Quarto
That's the whole point, though - that's why I like the original cockpits better. Because each ship felt completely different. You actually had to get used to the new cockpit. Every new ship you flew, it was great to see first the new take-off sequence and then the new interior graphics.

Exactly! It made me feel as if I was truly "mastering" a brand new space craft. Like I said before, it helped immerse me. When WC4 came around and I first played it, I was like "This (as in the HUD) is bland. From Hellcat to Longbow. The only difference is I'm going s l o w e r .

At least in WC3 it was like "Whoa! I'm in a bomber! This thing sure has mass! The cockpit is cluttered and has a yoke! Just like an old school bomber!"

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Unless there's a reason to fly each ship, that's just fine. And a reason shouldn't be that you can fly the level 22 ship because you reached level 22. Along the way, you should remember each ship and how it was cool and unique in its own way. The four ships in P1 had more character than the combined personality of all the ships in most modern games.

Yeah, but the point of having a lot of ships is to experiment with different designs. It shouldn't be "what's the best heavy fighter", but in fact "what's the ship I want to fly now".

FreeLancer has too much generic stuff. The Luger A is the same thing as the Dragoon 2. One is from the bundersomething, the other from the outcasts.

Yeah, I have to admit.. I don't think I flew all 18 ships in Privateer 2..
Exactly. I had to upgrade once or twice before I could afford the most expensive (and best at everything) ship, but that still amounted only to 4 out of 18 ships. And I don't even remember their names or how they looked.

The view of the Centurion, the cluttered feel of the Tarsus and the Orion, and the roominess of the Galaxy. That cockpit was more like a bridge! I could feel the presence of a co-pilot in the other seat.

Originally posted by mpanty
... I didn't like the very limited visibility the WC3 ones gave you (for some reason it bothered me a lot more than in WC1 or 2)...
It prolly bothered you more because in 1 & 2 you DIDN'T have the option to drop 'em away. Once you HAD the option, then (of course) having 'em there *did* limit yer visibility...

the cockpits in WC1 and 2 had more color,detail,lights,switches,like a las vegas slot machine.
I thought they looked the best, never played Privateer,purchased it, but too many problems trying to get it installed and running :(

better yet try MY cockpits! they're 3d with a lot more detail, and use hires textures for the actual readouts.

The four ships in P1 had more character than the combined personality of all the ships in most modern games.
\
Damn RIGHT! P1 kicked ass! power to the immersion!

I loved the cockpit frames! My favored cockpit of all times was the Dralthi cockpit from SM2 - Crusade. I loved those descriptions of the displays written in tapes strapped over the panel!!! :D

Back