BREAKING: WC Prophecy on GOG

What is the 3dfx patch? It comes with nGlide, which is supposed to emulate 3dfx. If it is another patch, I'm willing to try if it will help.
3dfx used to be a brand name for the folks behind Voodoo graphics, the pioneers behind Glide which fell by the wayside as DirectX and Direct3D (mostly through business bullying by MS) became standard, till some aggravated coders created OpenGL, which literally stands for Open Glide. When a programming language is called Open, that should help you understand the nature of why it has had some success despite Direct3D's near-stranglehold on the industry.

It's the same graphic technology as we used to see but retooled for use on more modern systems. Glide has fell by the wayside for support since OpenGL has surpassed some of its limitations. However, that doesn't stop coders from using a wrapper tailored for an individual game.

The patch implemented by PopsiclePete and co is in OpenGL whereas GOG uses a Glide wrapper. Two avenues of some of the same graphics we experienced during Voodoo days. It all comes down to programming language, but that's out of my expertise.

While all true, i think his question would have been better served by just calling it the OpenGL patch as that is the file he will have to search for and install.

I have Win7 64 and able to run SO. I do have the 3dfx patch in it though, so it's not the vanilla GOG version.

I have the same OS and can confirm that SO runs with or without the patch, I've bought the GOG version merely to support the title but haven't tried it yet.

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum but I've loved playing WC for many many years.
I was very excited to hear that GOG had them available.
I just installed WCP Gold Edition from GOG and thanks to PopsiclePete's info the install went perfectly.
All went well unit I got to the 1st mission and the game would shutdown.
The fix for me was to open the launcher.exe and select the OpenGL Setup tab and deselect "HDR effect".
After which the game would run perfectly with WCP Enhancement + DVD movies.
Thanks,
Qrunner

Attachments

• Launcher.jpg
    Launcher.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 195
  • HDR effect.jpg
    HDR effect.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 206
The fix for me was to open the launcher.exe and select the OpenGL Setup tab and deselect "HDR effect".
Glad you got the game working ! :) HDR might not work with older video cards (and some Intel on-board video). You may also check that you have the lastest drivers installed for your video card and then try again.

We've been at a point for a while now that if a new WC game came out today, we'd have an influx of players who were born after Prophecy, Secret Ops or the WC Movie came out. If a new WC game were announced tomorrow, when it came out, there could be new players/CIC visitors then who were born after WC Arena came out...

We've been at a point for a while now that if a new WC game came out today, we'd have an influx of players who were born after Prophecy, Secret Ops or the WC Movie came out. If a new WC game were announced tomorrow, when it came out, there could be new players/CIC visitors then who were born after WC Arena came out...
I feel old....

The hi-res videos are upside-down and reversed when played in OpenGL. The VOB files play fine in VLC and the original, low-res movies play correctly if I swap out the wcphr.dll from the enhancement pack. Any ideas how to fix this?

Win 7 x64, Nvidia GTX 555

I feel I've read this thread up and down trying to get WCP/SO work properly and I must still be doing something wrong. Downloaded WCPSO from GOG, install went fine. I downloaded the enhancement pack and unzipped directly to the main folder. Also downloaded the OpenGL tool, configured the settings to desired and saved. Downloaded HD movie packs to 'Movie' folder in the main directory. Basically followed the steps shown on first page by PopcilePete. When I launch the game the movies seem low res and also 'zoomed in' ie. the Origin 'we create worlds' logo is barely visible at the bottom. Am I doing anything wrong or maybe missing a step?

Thanks!!!! :):):)

I feel I've read this thread up and down trying to get WCP/SO work properly and I must still be doing something wrong. Downloaded WCPSO from GOG, install went fine. I downloaded the enhancement pack and unzipped directly to the main folder. Also downloaded the OpenGL tool, configured the settings to desired and saved. Downloaded HD movie packs to 'Movie' folder in the main directory. Basically followed the steps shown on first page by PopcilePete. When I launch the game the movies seem low res and also 'zoomed in' ie. the Origin 'we create worlds' logo is barely visible at the bottom. Am I doing anything wrong or maybe missing a step?

Thanks!!!! :):):)

Ok the game is working fine now with the updated graphics...seems to be a bit 'fast' though. Movies are still causing a problem and they're the low res versions and not properly fitting on the screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have any idea what percentage of people can't get this working out of the box as it were? If people are still having issues I'm happy to work with Pete to update the patch.
I didn't use OpenGL much at the time; the GL code has a number of a lot of issues that should be addressed and may be causing compatibility issues. I'm pretty busy atm (read ridiculously so), but at the very least I could help Pete set up his launcher to detect which features are supported by the hardware.

BTW Open Graphics Library. Glide was the API specific to 3dfx.

Do we have any idea what percentage of people can't get this working out of the box as it were? If people are still having issues I'm happy to work with Pete to update the patch.

It's hard to gauge percentage, but it does seem to be a recurring issue that people need help troubleshooting.

I've stumbled upon a small and uncommon issue - I tried to do some Twitch.tv broadcasting of WCP and while the game itself can be captured using nVidia ShadowPlay alright by enabling Desktop Capture (as I'm using the OpenGL variant), I can't capture the DVD movies.

By the looks of it, the game is doing the playback in a video overlay window, but ShadowPlay can't capture it - instead viewers on Twitch see a grey screen..

I've stumbled upon a small and uncommon issue - I tried to do some Twitch.tv broadcasting of WCP and while the game itself can be captured using nVidia ShadowPlay alright by enabling Desktop Capture (as I'm using the OpenGL variant), I can't capture the DVD movies.

By the looks of it, the game is doing the playback in a video overlay window, but ShadowPlay can't capture it - instead viewers on Twitch see a grey screen..

As I recall that is the case, and HCl did it intentionally to maintain compatibility between each GL. Can you confirm that occurs when using Direct3D?

So I am having a strange issue. I installed the gog version, no problems there, tested it out, then went ahead with the upgrade. Now there are problems. When I load the game all I get is a black screen. I can tab around in the dark and guess my way into accessing movies and briefings. Those will play, but that is it. Anything in gameplay, including flight is a black screen. If I try and run it in glide mode, I get horribly low res video and then the movies in a seperate window. Any idea what is going on? Running Win8.11 x64.

And now I can't get Secret Ops to run at all. I tried the same setting as Prophecy in the OGL setup and nothing. Is there another patch it needs?

Back