Behemoth Kilrah Mission Completed?

karloch

Spaceman
Hi guys,

I'm new here, but I have been a Wing Commander fan since I played (and finished of course) the Amiga version (Wing Commander 1). I have a little question, I have used the search function of the forum to look topics about the Behemoth, but none of them seems to talk about this.

I know as everyone that the Behemoth mission cannot be completed but I discovered so much time ago a little curiosity. At the Behemoth Kilrah mission, select an Arrow as ship. The head to the Behemoth rendesvouz point. Then turn on your afterburners and head directly to the next nav point (Kilrah jump point); maybe neccessary to put all energy to the engines. Then, when the autopilot indicator go on, use it. You will be with your wingman at the jump point. No cutscene of the Behemoth being destroyed has been seen, neither Angel dying. Then follow the flight plan and return to the Victory (the music of failed mission sounds). Then you will be at the Victory, ask for the landing permission and then comes the curiosity of this, Rollings tell you:

"Team efforts has cleaned the perimeter, sir. We're still in bussiness. You are clear to land."

Does not it mean that the mission has been completed? Of course, you land and everything is just like the behemoth was destroyed and you (Blair) saw the Angel video... But you actually didn't! Some comment to this?

Greetings!

So much for dynamic campaign, I suppose :rolleyes:

Well, this is just software in the end, they can not test everything right? At least the game didn't crush because of that...

Murray said:
So much for dynamic campaign, I suppose :rolleyes:

What's that supposed to mean? That WC3 doesn't have a dynamic campaign? There's plenty of back and forth, but the game still has major plot points.

That would have been a great easter egg. Behemoth wiping out Kilrah and the game ending a cd early.

Also, if you're in an arrow, you can kill Thrakhath in that mission. Arm all FF missiles, and, as soon as the angel scene is complete, punch your burners for Thrakhath. As soon as he's within missile range, drop all four full salvos, and then burner straight back to the victory. There's about a 50% chance that Thrakhath will buy it, and you stand a good chance of getting within ACLS range of victory before she jumps out. If you time it really good, you'll be viewing the auto-landing sequence and the victory will jump out, leaving your arrow trailing through space, but it still counts you as having landed.

P.S. Even if you nail Thrakhath, you have to deal with him again at Kilrah.

ChrisReid said:
What's that supposed to mean? That WC3 doesn't have a dynamic campaign? There's plenty of back and forth, but the game still has major plot points.

It means, WC3 has dynamic campaign (at least in terms of missions) but there is a limit how dynamic it is. You still have to follow the static story line.

There is more fun about the Behemoth Kilrah mission... in the PSX version.

In PSX version of WC3, just do as I told. Go to behemoth rendesvouz point and turn on your arrow's afterburners. Then, go to the nav point of Jump Point. Then, instead of returning to Victory, head back for the Behemoth point!!

Then... tada!! The Behemoth is in perfect and clear shape, and the most important, there is no kilrathi fighters attacking it!! The way is clean, and even the Autopilot indicator is enabled. But when you switch it on, damm, the Behemoth doesn't follow you. So I return to Behemoth place and try to fly near him to sync autopilot nav computer. And about 60 secs over it... it is destroyed! Without any kilrathi fighter on the field! So, the Patakhans actually are not able to touch the Behemoth, it is destroyed by a time-programmed function.

Oh well, if you don't wait and use the autopilot with the Behemoth field clear of enemies, and return to the victory, Rollins will tell you the very same: "We are still on bussiness".

The first time that I read that, I was thinking that I would be able at least to see the Behemoth jumping to Kilrah. ^^

Murray said:
Well, this is just software in the end, they can not test everything right? At least the game didn't crush because of that...

Yeah, I guess that they cannot test everything, but indeed they recorded the Rollins message for a possible "Mission Complete".

I think that this is just as overmortal said, an eastern egg. So the guys of Origin said... "Ey guy, ok ok, you completed the behemoth mission, but you have to follow the base plot".

I don't know if it's possible to kill Thrakhath and get away in the PSX version. I killed him fairly quickly (<20 sec.) before and right after you destroy his ship the Victory jumps out. So I guess the Victory's departure is event programmed as well.

:confused: hmm... I guess I'll have to test this again...

karloch said:
"Team efforts has cleaned the perimeter, sir. We're still in bussiness. You are clear to land."
That's Rollins' default mission failure speech in the Loki system. I gave the Behemoth the "Finger of Death" in the second mission, just to see what happens, and that's what I got (same as mission failed in Loki 1).

Specter said:
I don't know if it's possible to kill Thrakhath and get away in the PSX version. I killed him fairly quickly (<20 sec.) before and right after you destroy his ship the Victory jumps out. So I guess the Victory's departure is event programmed as well.

:confused: hmm... I guess I'll have to test this again...

In the DOS version of WC3, you can spam Thrak with missiles, kill him, and still land. In the Kilrathi Saga version, as soon as he dies the Victory jumps out, no matter how long remains on the countdown.

It's possible the console versions use the same mission success/failure conditions that the KS version does, and Thrak's death is a losing condition, like not landing on time. Not having any consoles, though, I don't know for sure.

You can defeat Thrakhath and land on the Victory in the 3DO version. You get ample time to do so. Although, the first time that event happened, I took my sweet time, hunting all Kilrathi in the area and I got left behind and ended up facing that lone cruiser (or was it a carrier? can't remember).

Wedge009 said:
That's Rollins' default mission failure speech in the Loki system. I gave the Behemoth the "Finger of Death" in the second mission, just to see what happens, and that's what I got (same as mission failed in Loki 1).
What do you mean by "Finger of Death"?

I was a little saddened by the lack of aces in WC4. Except for that one guy, who's everywhere, who says "So you Border World dogs think you want a piece of the man?" :(

WCIV is full of aces -- it's got 'Drakhai' style unnamed aces *and* Lexington pilots (Excel, etc.)... and then main characters you have to shoot down, too (Maniac, Vagabond, Seether).

Yeah, the unnamed aces are that one guy who says the quote I quoth above. They were referred to by their ship of choice. They had other quotes and I know the UBW aces said different things but that one just sticks out.

I never considered Vagabond & Co. to be aces but, now that you've mentioned it, you're right. Those are aces. Seether was the lamest ace in WC history....

Speaking of aces, who was that guy who got the #1 ranking in Confed history? He was from way back during the early years of the Kilrathi War, right?

Back