balancing

Uh, yeah. For some reason, it didn't occur to me that Maj.Striker might be asking about the general WCP multiplayer patch rather than Standoff. The WCP MP patch is indeed pretty far along.

nice to hear that ^^ I guess this would be one of the greatest/ the greatest WC game/mod I ever saw...Wing Commander multiplayer...whoooohoo...

ok I got another "problem" with the game.
some ships really don't have enough afterburner energy (in MY opinion^^) for longer combats.
and with all the enemies boosting around me while can't really dodge their atacks by boosting too is a bit...hmmm...unfair.

You definately need to ration your supply...one thing that I find I used to do a lot but have eased myself off of is ABing across large distances to get to my next target...unless it is attacking something mission critical I'll fly at normal speed until I'm ready to engage...

The amount of afterburner fuel has been subjects to many debates and tweekings within the the team in the early days of Standoff, trying to get it "right"... believe me there has been lots of trial/errors/testing/canon checks/debates surrounding the afterburners in Standoff and we won't change it anymore, especially since the missions are now all made and balanced for the ships as they are now.

This being said, when you get used to it it's not a big problem; the general feeling we got after testing our missions for a while is that we simply got spoiled by the extraordinary amount of fuel the ships had in WCP/SO. Use your afterburner fuel wisely, save it only for when it's really necessary and you'll be fine. Standoff was designed to have a WC2 feel, and as far as I am concerned in WC2 it wasn't uncommon for me to come back from a mission with an empty fuel tank... and remember WC2 only had you fight a fraction of the enemies you have to face in Standoff.

Another method to conserve is to remember that when a kat ABs away don't slam yours on and chase them. Eventually they'll get to their turn distance and come at you head on or from a slight side angle. Just AB slide a little and rip them apart from their sides...works great on Krants, who always seem to be riding their burners...

Black-Wulf said:
ok I got another "problem" with the game.
some ships really don't have enough afterburner energy (in MY opinion^^) for longer combats.
and with all the enemies boosting around me while can't really dodge their atacks by boosting too is a bit...hmmm...unfair.

You have all my sympathies on that one being one of the people in the Standoff team that always voted for more fuel. Strip me of the missilies, but give me more AB... God I liked Starlancer in that aspect...
Especially as IMHO you could fly without AB in WC2, but you cannot in the vision engine.

I once survived half of the 8th wave, and then the entire 9th wave without any AB fuel... in the Epee. It wasn't easy, but it's definitely not impossible. So, there's no gameplay-based arguments that can be made in favour of increased AB fuel.

No, it was way back before the scoring system was even conceived, so no quick kills for me.

(besides, when you've got no burners, you concentrate on other things than quick kills :p)

that's right. but as you can see from my highscores I really WANT to have quick kills.
and with more AB that would be soooo easy :p
But it would be unfair to change the amount now.

A high score is relative - if nobody can get more than 300 points, then 300 is an impressive high score. So, increasing the AB fuel wouldn't help you one bit - you'd get a better score, but Sternenwind would still kick our asses, because he's clearly better than the rest of us ;).

(although, I haven't looked at the high score board for a while, and I just noticed that the only person to have a score higher than 10,000 in anything other than a Wraith is not Sternenwind - very impressive, Tigerhawk!)

yeah good old sternenwind...who is that? a WC god? is his highscore the highest score you can ever get? or his he still beatable?

Sure, his scores are beatable. They're hard to beat, but they definitely are beatable. You just have to keep on trying. My advice would be to focus on one ship at a time - the player ship, that is, not the enemy. Just keep on playing the game with one ship until you figure out how best to fly it.

And once you've done that...learn to damage enemies to about 80-95% of total then move on to the next target...that way you can rack up quick kills really fast and get your score higher faster...I've gotten to the higher waves with really low scores simply because I didn't take advantage of this part of the scoring system.

hmm...well I got qucik killing sprees without that trick, too, but think to get into sternenwinds range I should try this out.
oh wow I have just realised how often I played standoff just to get higher kills...:)
A big gratulation for this guys! that's a balancing issue, too...the fun factor, and thats is defenitely very high!

The 85-90% damage thing can be kind of difficult;l it depends on what you're flying. If you're using a Morningstar, you tend to horribly overkill a lot of fighters. Same with the Wraith - they have amazing firepower. But, if you're flying a Rapier, or even a Stilleto or Ferret, you'd have a lot more control over how much damage you can cause. But with those last two, just make sure he doesn't have a turret, because you'll probably end up getting blasted by it more than a few times and they REALLY don't have that much armor.

Back