balancing

We can't actually do anything to improve the AI in Standoff, so I'm afraid it'd be pointless to discuss it in this forum. :p

I had espected that, but I wanted to come back to topic "balancing", even though there would be potential in AI balancing but as you said, there can't be done anything against that, so who cares about that? ;)

ChrisReid said:
I never had that happen to me, but I did used to get beat from behind by my wingmen in Wing Commander 2 occasionally.

I remember seeing a lot of coments about it over the net when prophecy just came out.

ChrisReid said:
How often did this ever actually happen? If the point here is to claim Prophecy had a less advanced AI than other WC games, then this isn't a valid point. In older games you could have your wingmen form up and then kill them by running parallel to your carrier.

Uh? I don't remember mentioning any of my complaints about the AI were unique on Prophecy. And it actually happens very often in a denser asteroid field.

ChrisReid said:
This is another case of not being unique to Prophecy at all. Prophecy uses pretty much the same Rookie-Nightmare system as Wing Commander 3 and on. As far back as the first Wing Commander, elite Drakhai pilots simply had more shields. I just don't think you can make a case here that Prophecy has bad AI relative to the things we're talking about.

Again, when I compared the AI to previous wc games?

The AI itself is ok, but not great. There is ceratinly room fro improvement. But being the AI unmodable afaik, this discussion is quite pointless.

KillerWave said:
I remember seeing a lot of coments about it over the net when prophecy just came out.

It has happened to me before as well. Not very often however, I usually see the plasma rounds and the general direction they are going in and try to avoid that area for a bit. It's always an annoying surprise when one nails you out of no where...

KillerWave said:
Uh? I don't remember mentioning any of my complaints about the AI were unique on Prophecy.

Again, when I compared the AI to previous wc games?

This all goes back to the thing I originally replied to when we started talking about this:

KillerWave said:
Makes me believe wcp designers gave the player such big missiles loadout because the AI wasn't good enough to pose a threat on a small number basis.

Sounds to me like you're saying that the larger missile loadouts in Prophecy compared to previous games were because the AI can't compete on a more even basis like it does in the earlier Wing Commander games.

I thought the bigger missile loadouts were because the player had to kill a bajillion enemies in each mission so they made it easier on the player by doubling the ordnance he can carry.

I imagine that's certainly an element, but it isn't some shocking new change - I'm willing to bet that the increase in missile loadout size is a fairly even curve rather than some sudden jolt in Prophecy. Even the game where the primary mode of play involved shooting down one enemy fighter, Armada, saw a significant increase in loadout size from its predecessor.

Bandit LOAF said:
I imagine that's certainly an element, but it isn't some shocking new change - I'm willing to bet that the increase in missile loadout size is a fairly even curve rather than some sudden jolt in Prophecy. Even the game where the primary mode of play involved shooting down one enemy fighter, Armada, saw a significant increase in loadout size from its predecessor.

I imagine that that was also for similar reasons to what PopsiclePete said about ship balance in multiplayer.

I NEVER compared the AI to previous wc games. That got misunderstood somewhere along the line.

I don't know, maybe I got spoiled by newer games, where technology and programing possibilities are better than it once was. I still don't think the AI is enough to pose much threat on a one-on-one situation.

Pete comented the loadout was set with multiplayer on mind. A possibility that, when I consider it, seems quite probable. Thats something I'm anxious to try. Looking foward to when coop campaigns are possible.

You do have a point, Loaf. In WC1, the two top fighters (Rapier II and Raptor) carried five missiles each, while in WC3, the Arrow carried eight, the Excalibur twelve, and the Longbow sixteen. In Prophecy, the Vanpire carries sixteen regular missiles plus four MIRV's, the Tigershark carries eight regular missiles plus eighteen Dragonflies, and the bombers carry a crapload each. I think it's all the mines and Dragonflies/Mosquitoes that they carry that make the bombers feel like they have way too much ordnance.

loel!
another question: would it be possible to have a standoff multiplayer patch like some guys are developing it for standard prophecy?

Ijuin said:
You do have a point, Loaf. In WC1, the two top fighters (Rapier II and Raptor) carried five missiles each, while in WC3, the Arrow carried eight, the Excalibur twelve, and the Longbow sixteen. In Prophecy, the Vanpire carries sixteen regular missiles plus four MIRV's, the Tigershark carries eight regular missiles plus eighteen Dragonflies, and the bombers carry a crapload each. I think it's all the mines and Dragonflies/Mosquitoes that they carry that make the bombers feel like they have way too much ordnance.

You should note that the rocket pods are fairly small in size. Although, I think they did over do it with the # of mines you can carry. I rarely used them and even when I did it was the occasional, hope the guy behind me flies right into it type of situation and it worked rarely in that aspect.

Yeah, you have all those mines (18 in the Shrike and 36 in the Devastator), but there are no mining missions. What gives?

Going back to the multiplayer thing.. filling a region of space with mines can be a fairly interesting/effective tactic when playing with other people. If you have a team with a couple Shrikes or Devastators, you can really cover a small region quite well.

Quarto said:
Nope, no idea - but definitely not soon.

Not soon for a Standoff multiplayer game. The Prophecy multiplayer patch is pretty far along, but we are held for HCl's time and ability to complete a user interface that makes it possible for anyone to launch their own games.

Back