Class files
Some data files for
random name generation
some planet pictures
a few ship pictures
To run, change to the directory where you extracted the files
and type

java GameFrame

You must put the java executable in your path.

you'll need to get the Java Runtime Environment version 1.3
or greater
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/jre/
and the JAXP java XML parser.
http://java.sun.com/xml/downloads/javaxmlpack.html
You'll need to put the .jar files from the xml pack in your
java ext directory.

This is really in hopes of finding a java developer willing
to take over. Java is a great language for beginning programmers,
so I hope someone will become inspired enough to fly with this, I'd be
happy to answer questions about the source. It's primarily uses
java's swing gui library, and RMI to deal with multiplayer issues,
in case any programmers out there are interested.

Re: the vega strike XML generator: Go for it, java could spawn a vega strike process. And since it's in java, the linux guys should be able to play as well.

It's nowhere near finished, but is enough for anyone interested in working on a multiplayer WC strategy game to get a good jump start.

I've always had my personal day dreaming of an Armada 2. I've never played the original one (I remember way back in the day seeing it for $10 at Sams) and I had great visions of a fully functional online WC universe, with so many (expensive and time consuming) parts of the game that make it open ended. I mean, it involved a controled universe, factions/clans owning star bases and even planets, a built in 3D modeler for custom ship design (this is crazy, I know), and the local police would be controled by the game designers from the main planet in the center of the universe, and as people expand and colonize sectors beyond the center of the universe, the police control lessens.

Again, it's just my personal day dreaming... I was thinking this game wouldn't be around for at least 20 years :)

I forgot another part. Extremely open ended, complicated, and detailed design of ship systems, including sensors, weapons, and custom equipment parts for whatever purposes you would need them for!

I wanted people to be able to build their own circuits, in order to customize, create new tricks, all sorts of things. Real world and non-real world knowledge could come in handy :)

Firebird, we'd all appreciate it if you'd edit your post for this sort of thing in the future. You can do that up to 2 hours after posting.
Thanks!

Oh yeah. Sorry.

I remember skimming a small argument on the U R A WC Junkie if... thread about racking up posts and getting a better rank. Thanks for not assuming the same intent on my part, I just naturally hit reply again to do some more info.

dear eddieb,

i still don't know what to do, could you be more explicit?

i extracted it all to a folderthen i don't know what to do.
please help...

Extract all files to a folder, make sure you have the Java Runtime installed (which should put the location of the java executable in your path, right? NOTE: The MS Java VM won't do), open a Command Prompt (MS-DOS prompt in Win9x/Me), goto the directory where you put your files, and type
'java GameFrame'.

Originally posted by Unforgiven
Extract all files to a folder, make sure you have the Java Runtime installed (which should put the location of the java executable in your path, right? NOTE: The MS Java VM won't do), open a Command Prompt (MS-DOS prompt in Win9x/Me), goto the directory where you put your files, and type
'java GameFrame'.

This is largely right. You also need the second download mentioned. Find all the *.jar files in the second download. Copy them to the Java Runtime's ext directory. This is likely located in c:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3something\lib\ext\

Let's make sure you got the first step right... that is installing java. Type java -version at the command prompt and make sure it prints out something sensible, like version 1.3 something.

this is what happened

Exception in "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:GameFrame

i've extracted the 2nd zip to the place you stated after installing java to the original location

what next?
oh yes, command prompt: at the folder i extracted the Confederation.zip i typed java gameframe

this is right, right?

It's case sensitive. It must be GameFrame, not gameframe

do a dir and make sure you have GameFrame.class in your directory.

darn skippy

eddieb, you really are da man. this is the way that the used and abused wing commander community should operate. i have one of the few remaining active privateer sites that actually gets hits on the web, and i would be honored to host the files to download, with your permission. heck, i could make it so you got some form of payment (not too much) when people download the sucker. my page is linked under my profile if you wanna check it out.

after...

eddie, also, i tried running the game, and it did get going, but i came up with the option of being either 'server' or 'client'. when i tried being client, it asked for me to put in an IP address, of which i didn't have someone else's address to test it, and when i tried being server, it asked for how many players, and what name i wanted to be called, then the dos prompt came up with some pages long error message. is there no 1-player option yet?

Re: after...

Originally posted by rogue_nova
eddie, also, i tried running the game, and it did get going, but i came up with the option of being either 'server' or 'client'. when i tried being client, it asked for me to put in an IP address, of which i didn't have someone else's address to test it, and when i tried being server, it asked for how many players, and what name i wanted to be called, then the dos prompt came up with some pages long error message. is there no 1-player option yet?

To give it a go, just run two copies on one machine. Start a server first, it will tell you the IP address to use, when you use the client. You could do hotseat this way. Anyone is free to use the code for non-commercial purposes, so don't charge for this little demo.

Whoops, you guys who are trying this will also need to change the beginning of confederation.xml to the following.

<!DOCTYPE Confederation [
]>
Just edit it in notepad.

Keep in mind it's just a demo, and is plenty full of bugs, and very little functionality is implemented. But it gives an idea of where the design could go.
This thread started because someone wanted to start an armada2 project... I thought this would help them out. My real project is Flight Commander.

Eddie.

so is there someone in the wings who is gonna run w/ this?? i would really like to see what unfolds w/ it, especially in singleplayer.

Back