armada2

revilo

Spaceman
if some fan were to make "wing commander armada 2" would you play it? what would you like it to be like? would you rather have it turn based, or real time? what would you want in it?

I want it to be like Conquest: Frontier Wars... IN SPACE!/B]

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH (damn I need to take my pills...)

Was it a total flop in the USA ?
I mean, here in France, it has been bombed ... Well, I don't know if one store dared to sell it...

It it was any good, I'd play it, no question. What it should have is: the possibility to play for the Kilrathi (like in Armada 1), if possible, make the sides even (unlike Armada 1) and the possbility ti build more than fighers, mines, shipyards and forts. Destroyer, cruiser, dreadnought and carrier, that's what we want ot build and use! :)
And of course, the most modern multiplayer features. :D

make the sides even (unlike Armada 1)

You mean eliminate the Uber-Wraith, which costs less than heavy fighters, yet can 1 on 1 take out anything??

Destroyer, cruiser, dreadnought and carrier, that's what we want ot build and use!

Yup. We all wanna have our strike missions. Maybe also make it so all of our 'off-screen' fighters don't die off randomly to a crappy 'auto fight' routine? I lost something like 6 wraiths to 9 Dralthi. That's just wrong.

Yes, the auto-fighter routine wasn't too good.

The Wraith is one example of uneveness (does this word exist?), though I have to say that I found most Kilrathi ships to be quite inferior to their Confed counterpart, except the Shok'lar which was really good. And the Kilrathi fighters also cost more in the campaign mode (wow, no, IIRC the Dralthi cost 1 less than the Arrow).

Let's see... Ho hum, turn based and real time combat... where have i heard of that before... oh yes dozens of "Space Conquest" type games... My fave would be "Star Trek: Birth Of The Federation" its battle system wasn't bad, but it wasnt' good either. anyway, IF armada2 WOULD come out, it should be more realistic. 1 Midway= 252 Fighters (Asst):D + Marine assault capability! For $(put your price here) Have a workable Plasma cannon ship killer!

Conquest is just like a cross between Armada...and Armada! <G> Except you can't pilot fighters. Or build fighters. Or control fighters...

You can control the carriers, though! ^_-

I eagerly await the completion of WC Saga. And WC Invasion. And WC Unknown Enemy...anyone wanna do a WCM mod for Total Annihilation? *cricket chirp* Thought not. :D

guys, just so you get a heads up, after we finish WC:U the Vegastrike team intends to make an Armada 2 game using our engine....

I have great affection towards WC:Armada, since there was a rather dark period in which it was the only WC game I had. I had my copies of WC2 and 3 out on loan and I don't think I had 4 or any of the other games yet. I found two copies of Armada sitting in a bargain bin at my local Toy Works and went home, very happy.

My only real complaint about that game is you had to freaking edit the bootdisk yourself, and I somehow lost the manual 3 days after buying it.

Originally posted by Darkmage
guys, just so you get a heads up, after we finish WC:U the Vegastrike team intends to make an Armada 2 game using our engine....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh, you mean WC Armada. Carry on. :D;;;

thanks for the input guys. (even though you really strayed off the topic...)

anyways, yeah, i was thinking about making a wing commander strategy game...i have a bunch of ideas in my head but wasnt sure whether the actual game would be interesting or not. when i get home from vacation in a week i'll start up a website with details and stuff.

i think i can pull it off, except the flight engine, which i'll figure out later on.

darkmage - sorry i didnt know you guys were planning armada2, would you mind if i went ahead and started my project?

Originally posted by revilo
thanks for the input guys. (even though you really strayed off the topic...)

anyways, yeah, i was thinking about making a wing commander strategy game...i have a bunch of ideas in my head but wasnt sure whether the actual game would be interesting or not. when i get home from vacation in a week i'll start up a website with details and stuff.

i think i can pull it off, except the flight engine, which i'll figure out later on.

darkmage - sorry i didnt know you guys were planning armada2, would you mind if i went ahead and started my project?
I've got the beginnings of such a project already. I can send screenshots if you want. It's basically a combination of WC:armada and Civilization. And would be multiplayer. Much of the GUI is already in place. I'd be happy to email you the source code or screenshots if you're interested. I haven't worked on it since Flight Commander(which could theoretically be used as the combat engine) has been more of a priority recently.

Thanks,
Eddie.

Here are the screenshots

carrier.jpg

planet.jpg

And some of the main screen

main1.jpg

main2.jpg

I'd love to pass on my code to someone who can take over.
For me, trying to do 2 projects at the same time is just too much.

eddie! you da man! BTW I won't tell you guys what to do, it's not as if I were the god of wc modding, that's a really l33t interface, I wonder... we could get the VS engine ready for it in a VERY short time, all we'd do is make the strategy engine output some xml directly into the VS engine, it'd take maybe 30 mins to code.... BTW for asthetic value, I'd make the jumplines blue, and the navpoints a darker green and darker red.

Back