Anyone good with dumbfires?

"Pseudo-autoslide" is actually a very popular move known as Shelton Slide. And, yes, if you don't perform it correctly (or, occasionally even if you do) you could end up kissing a Kilrathi.

My favorite thing is, Shelton Slide is the perfect way to side-step a whole world of uh-oh when you front, say, a handful of Gratha. I'm very glad they made it possible in the WCP engine. I missed skidding around in wc3.

one thing I would like to see...all ships with autoslide...let' be honest....if you kill your engines in space and start turning, as you clarified my previous post, you have to deal with inertia...once the engines are off, you're just sliding along. Besides...seeing a Cap Ship slide not only follows physics, but it looks cool as well (Don't stop there, cadet....the TCS Tinderbox is sliding towards your posit.....BOOM!!!)

Captain, we're going to need a cleanup crew...what a waste of perfectly good scrap metal....oh yeah, and it's a shame we lost the kid, too

I found the shelton slide to be really useful in priv cuz sometimes you'd end up flying missions that had oh say 5 or 6 talons and a few other ships buzzing around you and it can get ugly. But sliding right around them was great.

Yup. The Gratha are a good example of where it's useful to slide. In UE those guys can strip you down to your skin in about 3 seconds flat. Personally what I do is just punch the burners straight at them, kick off a dumbfire at about 12000k, then pull up/left/right/down depending on where the Gratha are going (hint: go AWAY from them). Then I throw it into a slide, put some shots into their bellies, burn straight "up" (back towards the centre of their formation), and slide in behind one. Pretty simple moves, but hey - for the newbies around, remember this.

Another neat move is "how to make a Scimitar turn a 180 when you WANT it to, not after". Two ways of doing this. The first is when there's a conventiently-placed fighter in front of you (don't try this one on older games, folks, WCP/SO engine only here), just bank off it at about a 45 degree angle while making a hard turn. You'll turn a lot faster. :D

The second and more reliable way (and it doesn't put a dent in yourself) is to always yaw and not pitch in a Scim. Just remember - the OPPOSITE goes for the Banshee and IIRC the Epee. The rule of thumb: Pitch for light fighters, yaw for the big ones.

Back