Anyone good with dumbfires?

They should have dumbfires that seek out enemy ships on their own, that way you would'nt have to aim them.

Man, dumbfires are NICE! :D LOVE them! ^_^

In the good old days of WC1, I used to nail Salthi with just one side hit. Since the first time I did it by dumb luck, I was so thrilled that started to practice until nailing Salthi with DFs became one of my prime sources of fun in the game!

In WC3, when the DF became MUCH more powerful than other missiles, I rejoiced! I was only able to survive some missions thanks to them, like the one Tolwyn orders you to make a looong patrol, crawling with heavy fighters, flying a Hellcat. The DFs were the added firepower I needed for this. I simply can't do well with those puny guided missiles that almost never hit, and when they do hit, they don't cause much damage, anyway... (Yes, I'm a heavy damage freak, and almost always use the "Full Guns" option when I'm not firing missiles! ;) )

Firing DFs on the nose is by far my favorite tactic. I use it mainly against aces, like Trakhath, Hobbes, Seether, etc. (Incidentally, when playing Colony Wars - Vengeance, I did the same by killing Cron's fighter with a TORPEDO! :p ).

You can take out several fighters at once with a Temblor bomb if you can keep one of them targeted long enough for it to lock.

But then you kinda lose the game, so it's not really worth it, no?

*edit*
BTW, that bit about the liquid-filled Sky Lab was really, really cool. I'd never heard about that before. Thanks, LOAF.

The only time I really used DFs was against capships. In wc3 they can almost half the damage power of a torpedo so a salvo of them can seriously damage most capships.

same with a banshee in wc4, I can understand that they would be more powerful but in those 2 games they are almost 50% of the damage potential

I actually, I don't think you can fit an Arrow with dumbfires. Something about dumbfires being to 'heavy' of a rocket, or somesuch. But you could dumbfire up a Banshee, though, right? I always loved the second mission in WC4 where you take out a Longbow (which I always loaded with at least four dumbfires) and do a one-pass run on that cap ship. Kaboom.

Third mission (Hellespont 2a/b). If you approach the frigate in the second mission, it jumps out and you fail.

As far as I know, you can only fit Arrows with heatseekers and imrecs in WC3.

Otherwide, it would be strange for a light fighter to have a greater payload than a medium one (8 for the Arrow, 6 for the Hellcat).

Hey, eight Javelins beats six Spiculums any day of the week. Especially since they have such a mean payload (and the rear-only lock isn't an issue, unless you're a newbie with no skills)

Sycrusian said:
As far as I know, you can only fit Arrows with heatseekers and imrecs in WC3.

Otherwide, it would be strange for a light fighter to have a greater payload than a medium one (8 for the Arrow, 6 for the Hellcat).

The Arrows with 8 missiles were configured as point defense fighters.

Dumbfires

Actually, when it comes to dumbfires I'm somewhat of a crack shot. WC1 was DF-paradise for me. Any mission where I didn't have to save them had a few less threatening Jalthis, that's for sure. Burn up to them, point-blank with a DF. Can't really miss, lol.

At range with a DF? You've got to be kidding. Though today on Unknown Enemy I think I may have broken some kind of record with DF kills. I pulled about 4 or 5 slide-DF kills it wasn't even funny. I even got a Salthi with a backslide 180 and a DUMBFIRE.

overmortal said:
What you fail to take into consideration is that added maneuverability will probably mean lower speed. While the inverse is true for fighters in most WC games, you must take into consideration that a missile would need to slow down to keep from sliding past a target while trying to follow a last-ditch juking maneuver. While increased turning would supposedly make last-ditch escapes more difficult, the slower missile speed required to prevent "skidding" (see: Shelton Slide) would make the missile easier to outrun, or give the pilot more time to release extra countermeasures. Or, shoot down the missile.

And, as LOAF said, you'd run into too many missiles with misfiring parts, which would ultimately lead to pilot casualties.

No, the best missile is the one fired from a good position in the first place, where only limited amounts of maneuvering are required to intersect a target.

I remember this from an old game manual I have (Cinemaware's Wings for the Amiga 500)...whereas you could maneuver a wing of WWI era craft within a square mile, a modern jet at combat speed needs 5-10 miles to make a turn.

I mean, you can make a very high speed missile with a WWI fighter's turn space, but you'd need an insanely strong structure in order to keep the missile from disintegrating under the insane centripetal force.

The reason a ww1 plane could maneruver so "quickly" was because they were a *lot* slower than modern fighters. It had nothing to do with structure and everything to do with the fact that you can make an exact 90 degree turn easily at walking speed and not so easily driving 55 in a car. Unless you find some way to get super-duper traction in space (I dare say impossible, considering you're generally not touching anything in space and there's relatively no gravity), you're going to have inertia to deal with, and inertia doesn't intend on being ignored.

Right, which is why some of my pseudo-autoslide moves (flying a Scimitar, which has a distinct lack of autoslide) work so bloody well. Sure if I muck up my 180 the guy ends up piling into my windscreen, but whatcha gonna do? :p

Back