Any ideas for the CCG

DarthMole

Spaceman
Does anyone here think that the CCG is too... simple? I've been experimenting on the CCG's rules and stuff, but I don't have any ideas for combat yet. Any suggestions?

That's right. Sorry CCG fans, but I found it rather amusing when the CCG forum was pulled down because of the lack of posting. :)

Too simple?
Hmm, i found it rather unbalanced than simple. I never ever finsihed a game by destroying an enemy carrier, only by lack of powerpoints. If it would be allowed fro bombers to launch their torpedoes after the defending fighters have been destroyed (but in the same round, not waiting till the next turn, where you enemy certainly has fighters again) then it may be a bit more balanced.
What do you mean with "simple" anyway?

The biggest problem of all is firstly getting the CCG. I asked all my trading cards dealers with no sucess, and I don't really trust ebay!

That torp firing phase seems like a good idea, Mekt. And what I meant by simple is that there aren't any complications (like timing problems) and no luck factor. I mean, just because you have a missle doesn't mean your ship is stronger. You have to make it hit first. And I'm planning to make a deck builder program, similar to the one Magic: The Gathering has right now, and maybe, play online with others who have the deck builder. So what do you guys think?

Originally posted by DarthMole
And I'm planning to make a deck builder program, similar to the one Magic: The Gathering has right now, and maybe, play online with others who have the deck builder. So what do you guys think?
AN EXCELLENT IDEA!!! :cool:

I loved Magic: The Gathering while I was still playing (wish I was still playing, as a matter of fact), but I've heard those Magic videogame adaptations weren't so great (the MicroProse one at least, the other one was a lot better I was told)...

My "white small creatures" was a hell of a deck !
White Knights, Orders of Leitbur, Crusades, Blessings, Balance... WHOA!
Never got it completed though. :-(
I was also building up a big creature deck, with Serra Angels, Seraphs, Reverse Damages...
My last creation was a rapid red destruction deck with Lighting Bolts, Incinerates and Ball Lightnings who was quite succesful... :D

But back to topic: if you could make a deck builder for WC CCG though, it would certainly get some fans on the CIC, I believe!

Finally, someone who has some MTG experience! Do you have any suggestions on how to improve gameplay? A friend of mine and I tested a couple of ideas, and we came up with this: having a random stack of "events" on each nav point instead of having players put modifiers on them. Every time a battle occurs on a nav point, an event would be revealed and do an effect. We also tried coin flipping to determine missle and decoy effectiveness, adding a shield rating to armor, and multiple rounds of combat. But we're having trouble integrating maneuvers and battle damage. We're thinking of removing them altogether...

The idea of having a deck of virtual cards and playing online is EXTREMELY pleasing to me! :D I vote for no confidence in Chancellor Val--- uh, I mean, I vote we get this card thing up and running! I never played the game, sadly, despite me having good cards, and the game's rules were REALLY easy.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
One word: Homarids.

Card Title: Homarid Warrior
Color: Blue
Type: Summon Homarid
Cost: 4B
Pow/Tgh: 3/3
Card Text: U: Homarid Warrior cannot be the target of spells or effects until end of turn and does not untap during your next untap phase. Tap Homarid Warrior.
Rarity: Common 1

Card Name: Homarid Spawning Bed
Casting Cost: 2B
Card Type: Enchantment
Card Text: 1UU: Sacrifice a blue creature to put X Camarid tokens into play, where X is the casting cost of the sacrificed creature. Treat these tokens as 1/1 blue creatures.
Artist: Douglas Shuler
Rarity: Uncommon 3

But what LOAF is thinking about:

Homarid
Fallen Empires Common
2U Summon Homarid
2/2
"Put a tide counter on Homarid when it is brought into play and during your upkeep. If there is one tide counter on Homarid, it gets -1/-1. If there are three tide counters on Homarid, it gets +1/+1. When there are four tide counters on Homarid, remove them all."

http://www.geocities.com/timessquare/alley/3697/1/042098homarid.html[/i]

Huh? If there are no counters on Homarid and it's Tuesday afternoon, he's got protection from purple, otherwise on every 5th turn he's unblockable?
No, Homarid isn't that hard to figure out. Simply, Homarid is 1/1 upon casting. Next turn he's 2/2, then 3/3, 2/2, then back to 1/1 again and the whole thing starts over again. Homarid's biological clock runs on 4 turn cycles, and he's quite cranky (and vulnerable) the first turn you summon him. If you can ever get Homarid to live until the third/seventh/eleventh...turn, you'll have a rather beefy 3/3 blue critter for only 2U. The only real problem is the first/fifth/ninth...turn when you have a little 1/1 lobster that can't live through a Flare.

In my opinion, Homarid isn't too good for what you pay. True, a 3/3 blue creature for 2U is a steal, but I don't like all that piddling around with lunar phases to wait for that golden opportunity every four turns. Soldevi Heretic and Sea Troll are a little more reliable than Homarid, but Homarid's verbose text can be a good thing.

If you're playing against a newbie, they'll never be able to remember how Homarid works. When you play Homarid against a newbie, they'll surely ask you what the card does. Don't tell them, just hand them the card and let them read it themselves. Your opponent will probably forget exactly how big Homarid is at most times, and will have to waste much of their thought just trying to keep track of how big it is. I've seen more than one careless mistake made against my Homarids (yes, I've used them). There are a few cards like Sunken City that are good for pumping up any blue creature, as well as many cards that work well on just about any old creature. Today I will instead list some cards I've used with Homarid just to drive absent-minded opponents nuts. Confusing and bewildering thy opponent is a good thing:

And some combos with it:

Tidal Influence
Here's the text on Tidal Influence (think to yourself about Homarid's text while you read this): "Put a tide counter on Tidal Influence when it is brought into play and during your upkeep. If there is one tide counter on Tidal Influence, all blue creatures get -2/-0. If there are three tide counters on Tidal Influence, all blue creatures get +2/+0. When there are four tide counters on Tidal Influence, remove them all. You may not put Tidal Influence into play if there is another Tidal Influence in play." HAHAHA. Tide counter this every turn, take this counter off of here to do that, this makes that bigger while that makes this smaller.....HAHAHA. If you play your cards right, this combo could allow you to have a 5/3 Homarid every fourth turn.

Freyalise's Winds
This silly (and potentially deadly) Ice Age enchantment not only slows most games down to a crawl, but it also adds a fairly confusing aspect to the game where anything that taps gets tokens on it that doesn't allow said tapped permanent to untap as normal. If you like irritating your opponent, Freyalise's Winds is tops in my book.
Time Warp/Time Walk
Are those tide counters going to be unfavorable for you at a bad time? Simply take a extra turn so the tide goes out and your Homarid gets bigger before your opponent has time to react.

Ice Cauldron
He he he. Right after you play the first Ice Cauldron your opponent has ever seen, put Homarid underneath the Ice Cauldron...just for giggles. As long as you're not playing against Rain Man, you will have a tactical advantage over your opponent.

Any old memories coming back, LOAF? :)

[Edited by mpanty on 06-07-2001 at 14:27]

There's actually some more Homarids in one of the later expansions... I need to go buy those somewhere.

Well? Is there a chance someone can write up a Java script or something for a over-the-net WC CCG game?

Back