Annoying Iason arguement

Originally posted by WildWeasel
If you don't accept it, then keep it to yourself. We don't want to hear your bitching.

...yet you don't mind upping your post count responding to said bitching, do ya?...;)

Contrary to pouular opinion, most people are not so much asses as they are sheep. (Why they are mistaken for asses escapes me, seeing that sheep are shorter and much fluffier, but I digress).

Originally posted by Preacher
1) To further your own analogy, both presidents would also have to have WIVES with the same name (as one another), and both would have face the same CRISIS, with the same rogue NATION, and have the conflict end in BOTH of their untimely demises, in exactly the SAME way, etc. etc.... As I said before, "what're the odds on that?...". (BTW, the first president's name wasn't "G. Dubbs", so THERE!... )

I don't understand *this* at all -- they're two people with the same job, possibly (probably?) related. Their ships were both on the front lines and, as was common during the war, both were attacked. They were attacked by different types of ships in entirely different situations... in fact, the latter doesn't even forces of the Kilrathi Empire...

(We have, incidentally, had two sets of Presidents with the same names...)

2) I hardly think "naive" is a name to get riled up over...Nice try, though--heheh.... Yes, "everything" is for profit when you're selling a product to customers. That's a given. However, some things are more "only" for profit (I believe it's referred to as being "gratuitous") than others, and both WCM-based books are prime examples...

And why is that? Having helped with both False Colors and the WC novels I can tell you that Peter Telep took *far* more care than Andrew Keith did in getting his facts straight. I helped Telep directly -- he sent me a list of characters and ships and so forth and asked for information from the games. I gave all that to him and mailed him a copy of WC1 and its documentation. A lot of this ended up appearing in his book.

I helped False Colors after it had been written -- the woman assigned to write it came to me for help with Kilrathi words... in the course of talking to her, I found out that Keith had not bothered to look up the names for any characters -- Doomsday was "Andre Dumas" instead of "Etienne Montclair" and Sparks was "Janet Sparkovski" instead of "Janet McCullough". (Neither character had had their full names mentioned in the novels before, only in the games).

Both books were ordered for the same reason -- to make money. But Telep certainly made getting his facts straight a labor of love, and it's rather disgusting to see people who have absolutely no reason for doing so assume otherwise. So you didn't like the book -- that doesn't make it an evil book conspiracy that can't have anything good relating to it.

Think of the diff 'twixt the NFL, which we all (americans) love, and the odious "XFL" of last year. THAT's the difference: One is old, storied, revered, and is still here after all these years, for the love of the game (even though they do make a tidy profit). The other is (WAS, thank God!) there ONLY in a bald-faced bid to make a lotta $$, and it showed; they had no love of the game, and people knew it, which is why it tanked (and went broke doing it--Muhahahaha)...

I will not argue that the games are better than the movie -- I will not argue that the NFL is better than the XFL. I will simply point out that the NFL being better than the XFL doesn't mean the XFL never happened.

3) If it IS the same guy, then he should've known better (or at least drank more black coffee); shame on him...

Read your handbook again -- it uses lots of amazing WC facts... there's a reference to the first episode of the animated series in Blair and Maniac's pilot reviews... the WCP map appears several times... he makes sure to mention that the Skipper is a prototype (something not implied at all by the movie), and gives the Iason a refit circa 2629.

4) As to your (ahem), "signoff" in this post, it says more about YOU than it does about the person yer speakin' ABOUT... (Nice language, BTW...)

I wasn't the one who implied that everyone who disagreed with me was stupid for doing so.

If people still accept like a bunch of lemmings, whatever is spoon fed to them (which apparently they do), though, it shows that the point hasn't been gotten across YET, don't it?... If being "a fool" somehow causes 1 or 2 people to wake up & smell the coffee, well, then, I'm cool with it.

But no one called you a fool for thinking what you thought -- they're calling you a fool for telling other people they're idiots because of what they think. I also don't understand this "bunch of lemmings" bit -- no one is forcing anyone to be fans of anything...

Originally posted by Mav23
not really, 'CAUSE THE WC MOVIE WASN'T IN THE SAME HISTORY AS THE GAMES! and don't even start LOAF

You leave me very little choice. </FrederickTatum>

Originally posted by Eder
Ok, so Blair is (or at least used to be) the main character in the series, and the Claw is probably the most stylish carrier ever, but come on... did they really have to cram a game, two expansion packs, a TV series, and a movie into such a small period of time?

Personally, I think part of this "Maverick, Maniac, Academy..." mess could be explained a lot more clearly if the Claw had just lasted for another 5 years or so... and if they had an extra Todd Marshall on board... geez, now that's a scary idea. *g*

And two novels! Timeline-wise, there's plenty of space -- but Tiger's Claw (understandably, I guess) saw a *lot* of action between '54 and '56.

Originally posted by Saturnyne
heh... I still manage to think that the movie should not be tied into the games... after all, if the movie can be tied into the games, isn't it cool how Maniac and Blair were buds at the academy, but introduce themselves for the first time on the Tiger's Claw in WC1? Now THAT'S talent!

Blair and Maniac were friends since the Academy starting with the Wing Commander 1/2 official guide in 1991... it's been referenced in all the Blair novels and was the subject of the Wing Commander Academy TV show. But it didn't seem to bother anyone until the movie came out...

Sorry, but I really see NO need that the games, novels and the movie have to harmonize with each other perfectly...but at least those *fights* here in the CZ help me to get background information "from different points of view", so thanks for everyone participating :D

furthermore, those *fights* are *very* entertaining in most cases, so don't hesitate to start "the next round" :D

BTW, who can explain to me why Blair and Maniac start as 2nd Lt.'s in WC1, but are already 1st Lt.'s when arriving on the "Tiger Claw" in the WC Movie...and don't try to tell me the "Tiger Claw" and the "Tiger's Claw" were two different ships...

Originally posted by Jochen
BTW, who can explain to me why Blair and Maniac start as 2nd Lt.'s in WC1, but are already 1st Lt.'s when arriving on the "Tiger Claw" in the WC Movie...

The movie (like Action Stations or the KS manual) gives pilots Naval ranks.

Originally posted by Eder
Ok, so Blair is (or at least used to be) the main character in the series, and the Claw is probably the most stylish carrier ever, but come on... did they really have to cram a game, two expansion packs, a TV series, and a movie into such a small period of time? ;)

Personally, I think part of this "Maverick, Maniac, Academy..." mess could be explained a lot more clearly if the Claw had just lasted for another 5 years or so... and if they had an extra Todd Marshall on board... geez, now that's a scary idea. *g*

Not that there's anything wrong with the first WC1 conversation with Maniac being a joke between him and Maverick... except for those people who tend to find "inconsistencies" throughout the whole damn series :rolleyes:

--Eder
what do u mean probably it is.
2 marshalls yes it is.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

I helped False Colors after it had been written -- the woman assigned to write it came to me for help with Kilrathi words... in the course of talking to her, I found out that Keith had not bothered to look up the names for any characters -- Doomsday was "Andre Dumas" instead of "Etienne Montclair" and Sparks was "Janet Sparkovski" instead of "Janet McCullough". (Neither character had had their full names mentioned in the novels before, only in the games).
Gee, I'm glad you made sure those mistakes were avoided Bandit, otherwise someone might have claimed that "Andre Dumas" and "Etienne Montclair" were two different pilots with the same callsign, "Janet Sparkovski" and "Janet McCullough" two different chief techs with the same nickame, and that all these people lived happily in the same universe... <g>

Originally posted by mpanty

Gee, I'm glad you made sure those mistakes were avoided Bandit, otherwise someone might have claimed that "Andre Dumas" and "Etienne Montclair" were two different pilots with the same callsign, "Janet Sparkovski" and "Janet McCullough" two different chief techs with the same nickame, and that all these people lived happily in the same universe... <g>

If you're playing that game where I ban you for being stupid, you're close to winning.

Originally posted by Meson

... yet you're not? :confused:

Well, if you hadn't made the replies you made to my posts, I wouldn't have been able to mark down those two posts of mine....

Let's just say that if "no one wanted to hear" what I have to say, they wouldn't keep spitting out replies, as you've so obviously done. Perhaps if you ignored those you don't care to hear from, they'd eventually go away... :)

I wasn't the one who implied that everyone who disagreed with me was stupid for doing so.[/B]

Nor did I. Lemmings stands for folx who believe everything they see/hear without question. I'm just looking for folx to wake up and question what they believe. If it withstands the scrutiny of questioning, fine. But don't believe it is so "just 'cuz LOAF sez so". If we lived our national life like that (for example), we'd still be underlings to the Brits.

Blair and Maniac were friends since the Academy starting with the Wing Commander 1/2 official guide in 1991... it's been referenced in all the Blair novels and was the subject of the Wing Commander Academy TV show. But it didn't seem to bother anyone until the movie came out... [/B]

Well, calling them "friends" seems a bit of a stretch. The playguide for WC1&2, and also the gameplay from WC3, makes it pretty clear that they were classmates, colleagues, acquaintances, and sometime rivals, yes, but friends?... Nah. Too much competition and bluster on Maniac's part, which chafed against Blair's rules & reg's personality.

The neverending debate.

Preacher: We say "because LOAF says so" because he knows a hell of a lot about WC. He's our resident expert. You wouldn't try to argue physics with Stephen Hawking, would you? Eh, you probably would :)D), but I wouldn't.

About the Iason, at first I didn't like the idea of two Andropolouses, but now it sort of makes sense. The Andropolouses seem to me sort of like this big military dynasty. We have the one who died in '29, the younger one who died on the Iason later on, Guthrig, and the pilot who died on the Claw. I dunno.

Hey, I wonder if anyone's ever written up a thorough history of the WCU in an essay form, so as to place all these seemingly conflicting stories into perspective. We have all these sundry bits of information, and I'd like to see how one would fit them all together.

Nor did I. Lemmings stands for folx who believe everything they see/hear without question. I'm just looking for folx to wake up and question what they believe. If it withstands the scrutiny of questioning, fine. But don't believe it is so "just 'cuz LOAF sez so". If we lived our national life like that (for example), we'd still be underlings to the Brits.

It just seems to me that whenever anyone decides to stop bothering to argue this point (and the simple fact that many, many people proves you are *not* an amazing moral crusader) they decide that simply disagreeing with everybody means they're somehow morally superior... it ain't so.

Lemmings is also a kick-@$$ game. Anyone here palyed Lemmings Revolution? That rocks.

Back