Animated WC movie

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I'll probably get flamed for this but here's my idea.
I've been thinking that it might be cool if someone made a WC movie in CG animation. I'm not talking about something like Final Fantasy: TSW, or anything cutesified like Finding Nemo or Toy Story. I'd like to see something like the cinematics in Diablo 2 or Warcraft 3, and I'll say it before anyone else does and take the heat " Hey, and maybe Blizzard can make it along with a new WC game, Woohoo!" ;)
Seriously, though, I really like the style and look of the CG animations in a lot of Blizzard's games. They don't try to make it as realistic as possible, ala FF, or simplify the look like many of the Pixar flicks. They have an interesting look that's more like an oil painting rather than the traditional look of a film, CG or real.
I think it would be cool to see a film made in this style, and even better if it were a WC film, but ultimately it would probably be a major gamble that would probably go against a WC film, rather than aid it.
But, just so you know here's how I'd do it:
I'd take End Run, dropping the opening part and refering to it in the exposition of the story rather than give it screen time. This way you can jump straight into the story and introduce Bear and the Tarawa, because the story focuses on them for the main part of the story. Then if a franchise springs up you could carry on with Fleet Action and maybe make up a few more before Bear takes over the Coventry during WC3. They should hire professional voice actors, not known actors, for the voice work, having Donald Sutherland and James Woods doing voices in FF really detracted from accepting the realism of the characters because I recognized their voices and automatically attach there likeness to the role, which doesn't tend to fit the screen appearance. For this reason they should cast people who work in animation, there face is largely unknown and therefore doesn't pop up with their voice like James Woods might. You could cast Mark Hamill in some roles, because next to Blair his voice over work is very very good, though Blair should not appear in the film, at least not until a franchise is established, with his name in the mix it may be to closely associated with the WCM.
Then it should be produced quietly under a pseudonym until it's cut and ready to test, that way there is less time for negative preconceptions to germinate, and when it's already to go you hype the hell out of it. Because if there's one thing reality TV has taught me, it's that you can get people to watch dog crap on stick dry for twenty-two episodes if you put enough commercials out there for it. :cool:

Sounds too hard. And I think Corsair's animated WC movie looks really incredible.

No it doesn't.
Besides, I bet there would be loads of people at Pixar or Dreamworks that would like to do a serious film, and not hiring known actors would simplify the budget.
I think it would be interesting to see what would come of the $20mil they sunk into WCM, if they had used it in a CG animated film like this, hey maybe even if the Blizzard cinematics guys did it on the low down. :)

The Final Fantasy movie, certainly the best WC-analog when it comes to CGI films, cost $115 million dollars. The various Pixar and Dreamworks productions (cartoon-ish CGI movies that actually made money) cost more. CGI is *not* the budget alternative to live action or animated films... it's just popular (or not, in the case of every 'serious' CGI film attempted to date...)..

Bandit LOAF said:
The Final Fantasy movie, certainly the best WC-analog when it comes to CGI films, cost $115 million dollars. The various Pixar and Dreamworks productions (cartoon-ish CGI movies that actually made money) cost more. CGI is *not* the budget alternative to live action or animated films... it's just popular (or not, in the case of every 'serious' CGI film attempted to date...)..

What LOAF says is very very true. CGI full featured movies are extremely difficult to make and very very expensive. Compare the 115 million dollar budget of FF to the 10-20 million dollar budget of the actual Wing Commander movie...if CGI was cheaper then I assure you Chris Roberts would have used it...an actual model was cheaper thus that's what he used.

Yup - Chris Roberts claims he wanted to do a lot of things in CGI (the Kilrathi, for instance) but just couldn't afford it.

No it doesn't.

Ahk, you hurt me with your words Shaggy.

But seriously, fully CGI productions are extremely expensive, and certainly not something that could even be concieved of as a $20 million dollar side project for Blizzard or any studio for that matter...

With that said I would love to see a well done Wing Commander 3D television series or movie, and I would love even more to work on it.

But again; it's extremely unfeasible.

You may want to check out the TV series "Roghnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles" which is pretty much all out on DVD. You may like it.

Yeah, the guys use lightwave to do the Roughneck series. Pretty impressive. If someone could do that good of a job with WC I'd be drooling at the mouth to watch... Corsair, what is your project that you're doing? What program you using? 3d max? Lightwave? Maya? I personally use C4d to model and texture my ships (WC 1 only so far). I may move towards animations but my skills there are a bit lacking when compared to "good" artists.

Yeah, the guys use lightwave to do the Roughneck series. Pretty impressive.

Yep, well, they did. It was done by Foundation Imaging for Sony, but the series got canned. It's even more impressive when you consider that it was done several years ago, and on a television series budget...

Corsair, what is your project that you're doing?

Check it out

Would be better off forgetting computer animation and get ahold of an Anime company. THe cost a fraction of what US films cost. I think I read that Pocahantas costed Disney 80 million, and Ghost in the Shell, which came out the same time, costed 8 million.
Anime uses less frames a second though, that would kind of make the combat scenes a little chunky. (Though Marcoss Plus was a beautiful movie though).

I definatly wouldn't care to see Wing Commander in anime. Hell, even the Clone Wars miniseries, which wasn't even anime, was too iffy for me.

I am just talking about cost. I actually enjoyed the Roughnecks films, I only have two or three of them, and on VHS, I am want to get them on DVD. IT just costs less to do things like that in Japan. Anime just wouldn't be WC though would it lol.

I'm sure they could pull off anime WC - there's plenty of more serious anime out there (there are, however, no good anime fans - they're all huge idiots).

Jacob said:
I'm sure you would know, since you like to ASSume many things.

There are many people who enjoy anime. Then there are people who buy body-pillows - those are the fans. And God help us all.

Oh, yeah, I'm not implying that everyone who likes anime is awful... just the hard core fans who spend their times complaining about how horrible it is that anyone would ever dare translate anime to English (G) I mean, there's lots of anime I really like... but there's a really bad fan culture out there.

Back