Advent Children Update

Ah Baldur's Gate...now that was a game worth playing and enjoying it
Never played Planescape: Tormet
Fallout now that is an ever better game.....drink bottle caps as money, hey with the amount I drink every so once in a while, I would be a billionaire.....

Are we suppose to talking about the movie - Advent Children???

Interplay published the BEST CRPGs ever. RIP.
Fallout was pretty fucking good too. Actually, it was trully awesome. And no grinding of hundreds of cute bunnies or anything.

The biggest pet peevee I have with JRPGs is that they're too arbitrary and static. I mean, each character can use ONE type of weapon, with one linear upgrade path... there is little or noe interaction with the environment and non-quest npcs... In ultima 7 you could use any thing in the world. You could harvest grain, mill it and then use the flour to make bread, and then eat it.
In BG2 there was this HUGE city , with several districts filled with houses, stores, things made abit of sense.

Hell, I could ramble on for hours.

But JRPGs do have their qualities. I really enjoyed games like Skyes of Arcadia, Grandia2, Tales of Symphonya, Baten Kaitos...

I've already seen Final Fantasty VII: Advent Children thanks to LimeWire (OH NOES! ITS TEH FBI!!!1). The animation is beautiful and extraordinary, but...

The movie feels hollow and dead. And it's not because it's all CGI. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was all CGI but it was a pretty good movie. There was life to the characters, and you (or at least I did) genuinely cared about the characters. AC was an extraordinary, over-hyped let-down.

Pretty much, imagine that you see two people on stage. One is a graceful ballet dancer, the other is Stuart from Mad TV jumping up and down shreaking "LOOK AT WHAT I CAN DO!". The ballet dancer is TSW, Stuart is AC...

Edfilho said:
The biggest pet peevee I have with JRPGs is that they're too arbitrary and static. I mean, each character can use ONE type of weapon, with one linear upgrade path...
Hehe, I had the (somewhat questionable) pleasure of working on a Japanese-style RPG for a few months this year, and I very quickly came to understand why this works the way it works. You know those amazingly flashy special moves animations that characters use? The amount of effort that goes into them is incredible... and the idea of having multiple sets of animations for every character just so they could use different weapons is... well, great in theory, impossible in practice. That's what you get for making a game with a "cinematic" feel - the very same reasons that made us fly only Excaliburs on planetary missions in WC3 are the reasons why each character only uses one type of weapon in JRPGs.

I mean, for us, even shields were a problem - you have a character whose special moves involve a sword, and then suddenly somebody decides to add the possibility of using shields. Great, let's give him a shield... but wait - doesn't he hold his sword with two hands in that one animation? Crap :p.

(note that I'm not really trying to defend JRPGs, just to explain them)

Quarto said:
Hehe, I had the (somewhat questionable) pleasure of working on a Japanese-style RPG for a few months this year, and I very quickly came to understand why this works the way it works. You know those amazingly flashy special moves animations that characters use? The amount of effort that goes into them is incredible... and the idea of having multiple sets of animations for every character just so they could use different weapons is... well, great in theory, impossible in practice. That's what you get for making a game with a "cinematic" feel - the very same reasons that made us fly only Excaliburs on planetary missions in WC3 are the reasons why each character only uses one type of weapon in JRPGs.

I mean, for us, even shields were a problem - you have a character whose special moves involve a sword, and then suddenly somebody decides to add the possibility of using shields. Great, let's give him a shield... but wait - doesn't he hold his sword with two hands in that one animation? Crap :p.

Yeah, that makes sense... Although it doesnt fully explain the lack of weapons(Swinging a sword and a mace could for example use the same animation, correct me if I'm wrong)

Out of curiousity, which company/companies have you been working with, and what project have you been working on?

Dyret said:
Yeah, that makes sense... Although it doesnt fully explain the lack of weapons(Swinging a sword and a mace could for example use the same animation, correct me if I'm wrong)
In a few cases, yes... but swords are used for both slashing and stabbing. While the former can easily be adapted for maces, it would be kinda hard to stab someone with a mace :).

Out of curiousity, which company/companies have you been working with, and what project have you been working on?
I worked for a Polish company called Tannhauser Gate, on The Roots (PC/Xbox), and The Roots: Gates of Chaos (Nokia N-Gage). The former title, unfortunately, was not finished and never will be - in July, our publisher pulled out of the deal, and that essentially killed the company (basically: the entire production team, myself included, was fired; the management hoped that they could find a different publisher and re-hire at least a part of the team later, but they haven't had any luck with new publishers).

Quarto said:
In a few cases, yes... but swords are used for both slashing and stabbing. While the former can easily be adapted for maces, it would be kinda hard to stab someone with a mace :).

Yeah, hehe... Except for in Ultima 9/Underworld, where the avatar could kill about anything by stabbing it, even with the hand axe.:D

Quarto said:
I worked for a Polish company called Tannhauser Gate, on The Roots (PC/Xbox), and The Roots: Gates of Chaos (Nokia N-Gage). The former title, unfortunately, was not finished and never will be - in July, our publisher pulled out of the deal, and that essentially killed the company (basically: the entire production team, myself included, was fired; the management hoped that they could find a different publisher and re-hire at least a part of the team later, but they haven't had any luck with new publishers).

I'm sorry to hear that.:(

Quarto said:

I see, that makes a lot of sense. And ties with the really extra fun and tactical/strategical battles in, say, Baldur's Gate2: Throne of Bhaall being a lot more varied than most JRPGs. But I do like them. I really enjoy the card battle system in Baten Kaitos. But they're different concepts, jrgp battles are more abstract while CRPG battles are a lot closer to tactical combat simulations more grounded in "reality".

Some JPRGs have downright bizarre and evil strorylines. Some of them are good fun. I liked Vanguard Bandits for the PS1.

Has anyone actually seen Final Fantasy Advent Children?
My brother and I have seen it and loved it.
It puts "Final Fantasy - Spirits Within" to shame.....if you and when you guys see it you would completely understand....jaws will dropped.
I bet on my life savings on it.....hehehe

Dahan said:
if you and when you guys see it you would completely understand....jaws will dropped.
So, it's jaw-droppingly bad? :p

I bet on my life savings on it.....hehehe
Well, having seen a [completely nonsensical] trailer for it, I'd pretty much be willing to take that bet, except that I don't actually intend to see the movie, so I wouldn't be able to win :).

Dahan said:
Has anyone actually seen Final Fantasy Advent Children?

I've had it on DVD for about a month now. Its pretty and very active but its completely awful because its nothing more than what the Japanese call "fan service". It's a big, loud follow-up to a game thats eight years past. Advent Children suffers from a plot thinner than your average slasher movie - its an excuse to see characters in high res renders and nothing more. The fact that they resurrect the villian from the original series (and in such a shameful way) cheapens the entire story the game had.

It's a sad and ugly affair.

Dahan said:
It puts "Final Fantasy - Spirits Within" to shame.

Most people who complain about FF:TSW are Final Fantasy fans - which is not unlike snotty-nosed children complaining about being bored when brought to the Louvre.

I was not really concern about the story although in some small way I was
"The spirits within" did not have any relation to the proper Final Fantasy genre which Squaresoft made and they should have done it originally.
What I like about it was they made the movie in a quality which is worth watching not for the story but to see how far computer generated movies/characters have progress so far in the entertainment industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahan
if you and when you guys see it you would completely understand....jaws will dropped.

So, it's jaw-droppingly bad?

Jaw dropping as in damn the qaulity was awesome

Dahan said:
"The spirits within" did not have any relation to the proper Final Fantasy genre

And none of the games have any story relation to each other with the exception of the use of the name Cid and Chocobos. Whats your point?

Dahan said:
which Squaresoft made and they should have done it originally.

Yeah - too bad the movie was written and directed by the person who created the series in the first place. It's pratically the same arguement about the Wing Commander movie - just because you don't like it, doesn't mean hooey.

Dahan said:
Jaw dropping as in damn the qaulity was awesome

I've seen hand drawn animation that shitcans any CGI you or anyone else has ever seen.

hmmm
Are you taking it a bit too personally there LeHah
I just pointing out that I enjoyed the movie because the qaulity was very good and was better with the spirits within
the games had more relation to each other other than cid and chocobo?
if i remember correctly the use of the spirit powers calling forth giant magical beast is seen in almost all final fantasy games.....

Dahan said:
I just pointing out that I enjoyed the movie because the qaulity was very good and was better with the spirits within

Please re-read what I posted about the general public that bitches about the first FF movie.

Dahan said:
the games had more relation to each other other than cid and chocobo? if i remember correctly the use of the spirit powers calling forth giant magical beast is seen in almost all final fantasy games.

You also do that in pretty much ANY RPG; summoners have been around for almost as long as the fantastical.

If you're going to say that Spirits Within went too far away from the source material that the original series was about - you can lay blame to FFVI, FFVII and FFVIII - all of which came before the movie and featured ever-growing emphasis on sci-fi babble and technology.

Dahan said:
What I like about it was they made the movie in a quality which is worth watching not for the story but to see how far computer generated movies/characters have progress so far in the entertainment industry

ARGH! So what you're saying is the movie is the best ever because it's the most shallow tech demo you've ever seen?

Back