AD Sounds Off (On?) (April 5, 2008)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
AD has a tight present for all sound hounds everywhere: a complete collection of extracted comms from Wing Commander III Playstation! He used a program created by (who else) HCl to extract and convert all the comm messages, sound effects and Blair's deep thoughts into WAV files! The download is available in two versions: everything together here (ZIP, 41.3 MB) or just the Kilrathi files here (ZIP, 7.9 MB.) Good work!

--
Original update published on April 5, 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work, AD and HCL! :D

As a growing sound hound myself, this is a wonderful treat and archive. I know this will come in handy for a couple of little projects in development. So many neat sounds and effects make up the WC aural experience that one just doesn't fully appreciate the variety and effort put into the audio side until they're all set out like this. I'm sure there must still be a number of gems still waiting to be found within these audio veins.

For example, I was cutting up some source FMV clips from WC3 a while back and happened to be listening to them on my headphones instead of via the PC speakers and in the Blair/Rollins FUD scene at the 40-second mark, you can hear the following being announced over the tannoy:

"Chief Engineer Daniel to the keel mount control deck immediately"

I believe the PDF version of the script we have in the document archive has a list of the voiceovers -- and there are some gems.

Great work, AD and HCL! :D

As a growing sound hound myself, this is a wonderful treat and archive. I know this will come in handy for a couple of little projects in development. So many neat sounds and effects make up the WC aural experience that one just doesn't fully appreciate the variety and effort put into the audio side until they're all set out like this. I'm sure there must still be a number of gems still waiting to be found within these audio veins.

For example, I was cutting up some source FMV clips from WC3 a while back and happened to be listening to them on my headphones instead of via the PC speakers and in the Blair/Rollins FUD scene at the 40-second mark, you can hear the following being announced over the tannoy:

"Chief Engineer Daniel to the keel mount control deck immediately"

I can actually save sound files of all the movies too, but I didn't think they were worth putting in this audio pack because we're working on converting the video half of the files too.

That said, most of these comm audio files have a video half but a number of them that aren't Eisen or Rollins reuse the same video file for multiple audio files (like kilrathi or confed pilot comms)

Also a quick technical note, I'm sure HCl has his own version of a file extractor for WC3/4 psx. But I didn't use it. I converted the audio (which uses a *.tai file) using his audio converter, which I helped him test out.

A while back I got the people that work on multiex commander to create a custom script that allows their program to unpack the WC3 version of TRE files called *.LIB files. If had all the extracted files sitting on my harddrive for a long while now. THis includes *everything.* If anyone is interested in exploring the various IFF files for all the ships and any file associated with them (pilot profiles etc...) I can probably put something together.

I noticed the gun sounds are a little strange in that archive. Most are identical to the WC4 sounds, but some aren't and so i ripped them myself. I could post them somewhere if anyone's interested, i think it would be useful for fan projects.

I noticed the gun sounds are a little strange in that archive. Most are identical to the WC4 sounds, but some aren't and so i ripped them myself. I could post them somewhere if anyone's interested, i think it would be useful for fan projects.

Yeah, I wasn't that interested in the WC4 sounds at the time, but I think I might have them all on my PC too... I have to check.

On a related note, HCl and I actually completed a converter for the WC3 (and WC4) PSX videos... There's a few interesting possibilities here. I've converted them all to divx already. Right now we're trying to determine how different they are in quality to the 3DO version and whether it's worth progressing with those over the PSX files.

The PSX video isn't significantly higher resolution than the PC or anything but they have greater color depth and benefit from the same re-encoding that the 3DO version had (no more sticky pixels). The results are a much cleaner and slightly more vibrant image. There's a few other minor differences though in a few of the videos and of course there's the scenes missing from the PC version.

Oddly, the WC4 PSX videos are actually lower resolution than WC3 PSX. This might be to allow for that all the WC4 ones are in stereo whereas only the intro and a few select other WC3 scenes are in stereo.

Basically the conclusion is that for the most part there really isn't anything with WC4 PSX video and audio files that's significantly better than the PC version, hence why I haven't really focused on it yet.

Adding the WC4 PSX rumble effects to the PC version might be fun though.

The WC4 gun sounds i found are ok, but those from WC3 sound like they were extremely compressed or something

Back