Action Stations

I agree with LeHah, people go from poster to lurker and back again many times. I was a lurker for a good many years, but only became active again in the last 2 or 3 years after many years being part of this great place. Even if people don't post, most people who come to love the CIC come to check the front page regularly, because the guys here always have news to post every day, so there's never a time when the site is not being updated in some way.

Well, why not run with it........

Mass Drivers do appear to shoot fairly large chunks...

Like Raptor (still around?) says, could be that there is no ammo limitation because of just the opposite. Maybe the actual projectiles are very small. Even a tiny one would do tremendous damage at ultra velocity. The large chunk effect could be some sort of visual trick of the eye similar to footage of nighttime tracer rounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tv9831kOxc

Silence is golden, McGruff.

There's nothing wrong with posting to old threads if you're contributing to the topic.

Like Raptor (still around?) says,

He sends in an HTL chapter every other month or so still.

could be that there is no ammo limitation because of just the opposite. Maybe the actual projectiles are very small. Even a tiny one would do tremendous damage at ultra velocity. The large chunk effect could be some sort of visual trick of the eye similar to footage of nighttime tracer rounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tv9831kOxc

Mass driver round sizes range quite a bit. Some quotes from End Run:

68) "To either side of the approach deck were two mass driver cannons, medium caliber at least."

117) "The landing craft laser guns and mass driver mini cannons kicked into point defense even as he turned back in towards the marine ships."

170) "Others were armed with mass driver scatter guns, which fired five hundred naillike flechettes in a single burst. "

232) "He swept up over the ship, seeing where several dozen heavy mass driver hits had scorched the ship's hull."

The sizes could just be relative, but it seems like the physical cannons have a good size barrel diameter in some cases.

So players don't have to worry about running out of ammo. The novels state that the Mass Driver have a limited ammo supply though as far as I know the amount of Mass Driver ammo the fighters carry is never stated.

NECROTHREADAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..AHem, excuse me. Adding to this whole scintilating navel battles of WW2 motif that was going, I'm not escially sure who would win in straight up fight, an Iowa, or the Yamato. The Yamato has got superior armor, and that 18in batterycould do some serious damage. Iowa, on the other hand, still has powerful guns, in those 16inchers, plus the Iowa is faster, more agile, and has vastly superior radar-fire control systems. I think Iowa would come out on top.(It also helps that we built four of them:p)

The Montana class would have made for an interesting fight as well, had they ever been built/faced a Yamato. Bigger, slower, but more heavily armed and armored...

Plus my poor state of New Hampshire would have had a warship.

At least the Granite State is getting a Virginia SSN. Don't take our state for granite.

Har.

The Montana class would have made for an interesting fight as well, had they ever been built/faced a Yamato. Bigger, slower, but more heavily armed and armored...

Plus my poor state of New Hampshire would have had a warship.

At least the Granite State is getting a Virginia SSN. Don't take our state for granite.

Har.

Actually New Hampshire already had a battleship named in her honor. She's actually had a few in her name.

And the Iowas were more than a match for the Yamatos. Their broadsides are actually slightly more powerful than the Yamatos.

Always good to see a friendly ship as well....granite stater myself as well.

Back