Action Stations

Ben

Spaceman
I read it, it was a pretty good book, but I thought it was supposed to tell us of why Tolwyn came out like he did, and in mind it never did that. I did like the backround of the war though.. Hrmm. On to the next book. Wing Commander The Movie... I shall rent it and read it...

Ben

/me wonders what happenned to Hans (I figure he died) Turner and the others...

Don't worry..

I will read the whole series.

TC, how can Hans be alive; by the impression given to us in this first book, him and this girl were ona Kilrathi planet about to go kill some Kilrathi with "1000 to 1 odds" or something like that. What about Skip? Vance? etc. I always thought Paladin went through the whole war, where's he at? This book left it high and dry, the Kilrathi was making an advcance and Confed was gonna change the tide according to Skip if they get the right motivation or info or technology, but thats it... Alright so next is Wing Commander the movie (according to how things went in the univrse) then Fleet Actions I think...

Another question, it said our boys at intel were taking the torpedo that went through shields and would probably mass produce them. It was brought up several times in the book that Kilrathi cap ships have very limited armor. That should have changed the tide rather easily. Also, where was this weapon in the game?! This torpedo that can go to shields would be very useful against a Fralthi or a Snakier. I think it is referred to capmiss in Wing Commander 3 as all the ships die from 1 hit of that missle, but confed was supposed to start cranking em out too. Where did they go!?

Ben

Kruger gets off the planet eventually and Vance ends up transfering to Intel...

The torpedoes were developed by Confed, they just weren't very important in the WC1 era because fighter weapons had become powerful enough to batter down capship shields. They become important again in WC2.

Palidin does go through the whole war... During 2634 he's attached to CIS. His records during this time are classified.

They were still important in WC1... the 'Claws Broadswords used them. As did capships for capship to capship fighting.

Yeah, wasn't that weird? A 1 person fighter taking down a capital ship with neutron blaster? I'm glad they made the torpedo more significant.

That's only in-game. 'Realistically', I think you would need to co-ordinate several fighters, perhaps several squadrons, in a systematic battering of the shields, then vital areas such as bridge, engine, hangar bays, weapon stores (if you know where they are), etc.

[Then again, a single-pilot fighter took down the Death Star. :)]

Originally posted by Wedge009
That's only in-game. 'Realistically', I think you would need to co-ordinate several fighters, perhaps several squadrons, in a systematic battering of the shields, then vital areas such as bridge, engine, hangar bays, weapon stores (if you know where they are), etc.

[Then again, a single-pilot fighter took down the Death Star. :)]

Not to forget Hunter who destroyed that Fralthi in FF with one missile. IIRC, he fired it in an engine exhaust port...

Well, I didn't forget since I've never read FF. ;) But that doesn't seem very plausible. Those engine nacelles on capships can be huge - if they were a weak spot, everyone would have figured it out very quickly.

I just re-read that scene and it stays: He fires (one) IR missile(s) into the engines and the Fralthi is dust thereafter. In my German copy it is not entirely clear if he launches multiple or a single IR missile, since it is full of typos.

But, you know, he is hero, he can destroy a cruiser wiht a single lucky hit... :)

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
I just re-read that scene and it stays: He fires (one) IR missile(s) into the engines and the Fralthi is dust thereafter. In my German copy it is not entirely clear if he launches multiple or a single IR missile, since it is full of typos.

But, you know, he is hero, he can destroy a cruiser wiht a single lucky hit... :)

During ww2 the cruiser yotamoto was detroyed by 1 luck hit down its smock stack ner its ammo.

Originally posted by Battler Hawke
During ww2 the cruiser yotamoto was detroyed by 1 luck hit down its smock stack ner its ammo.
I did a Google search for 'Yotamoto' and it came up blank ;)

If I can recall correctly (that history paper I took in my first year at university was a *long* time ago) Yamamoto was the Admiral. The battleship was called Yamato.

Best, Raptor

Originally posted by Raptor
If I can recall correctly (that history paper I took in my first year at university was a *long* time ago) Yamamoto was the Admiral. The battleship was called Yamato.

Best, Raptor

Thanx it's been some time since I for got the ships name.;)

Back