You Know What?

Concordia

Swabbie
Banned
You know what my biggest problem is?

I'm a compulsive talker. When I get stressed, I talk, type whatever. I go on and on and on. And the more stressed I get, the more I talk.

This aggravates everybody, which stresses me out, which actually makes me talk more. I can be quiet when the time counts (meaning I'll get in serious trouble if I don't shut up), but if I was always under such pressure to be quiet, I'd simply snap. I'd either explode, and go into an angry tirade and yell and scream at that person. If I was in a job that required me to be quiet all the time, I'd either quit the job, or get myself fired. Since I'd be passed over for promotions all the time.

I don't know how to NOT talk. It's like HAVING to speak. An urgency to talk. You feel like you have to talk. It's so frustrating. I really can't control it... if I could just *not* talk, I would have a long time ago. I would be a hell of a lot more popular now.

There are other times I just want to be quiet and relaxed. You know, those days you just feel tired and burnt out? Well, I just want quiet, and that's the day you find someone who won't shut up, someone like me. I can't stand it when that happens. I usually come off like the biggest a**hole. One day, I'm talking my brains out, and the other day, I'm really quiet, and a person goes up to me and talks, and I either bite their head off, or avoid them like the plague. There was one case where I actually took off INTO A SPRINT to get away from them!!!

Any advice?

-Concordia

Hehehe.

Well, you could always write a book. Heck, you may get lucky and make a best-seller. At the very least you get your thoughts out.

I bet you're a fast talker too, aren't ya? You could try doing what us hick southerner's do and talk with a deadly slow drawl. By the time you finish your first sentence of your rant, you're too bored to continue.

Originally posted by t.c.cgi
Hehehe.

Well, you could always write a book. Heck, you may get lucky and make a best-seller. At the very least you get your thoughts out.

I bet you're a fast talker too, aren't ya? You could try doing what us hick southerner's do and talk with a deadly slow drawl. By the time you finish your first sentence of your rant, you're too bored to continue.

Yes, I talk at a mile a minute. Remember, I'm a pilot. This comes in useful when I'm talking to ATC. I talk about as fast as the controllers do. The fast-talking ones. To an untrained-ear it sounds like rapid-machine gun fire.

I don't talk much slower when I'm talking at a leisurely pace.

I'm doing between 240 and 270 when talking normally. At least when reading audibly. When I'm at a full-throttle rapid-speaking mode, I'm throwing out 5 or 6 words a second... that's about 300-360 words per minute.

I try and talk slower, but I inevitably speed up. Especially when I'm on a roll.

It actually enables me to get away with some things I've said over the years.

A girl rambled on and on about a boyfriend or something, and I, having heard enough, simply put my books away and fell asleep. She said "hello!" and was really angry. I told her "I'm taking a nap while you ramble, when you're done feel free to wake me up". She was furious and I was amazed she didn't hit me.

I ended up being famous for that line. "When you're done wake me up". A girl even painted it on her shirt.

-Concordia

Originally posted by Concordia
I try and talk slower, but I inevitably speed up.
Ah, you'll make an excellent public speaker, then. That way, people wouldn't have a chance to get bored with your speeches. ;)

Originally posted by Concordia
She was furious and I was amazed she didn't hit me.
Hmm, I'd be furious too...

Back