You have been Slashdotted !!!

Imagine if PA linked you.

But how bad was it? The web tracker was showing just about 2.5 times as much hits as normal, but it sounds like it was much worse.

Um... I'm trying to download some Winamp skins (prophecyamp2 and wc1ampv11) with quite limited success. Is that related to this (meaning: Will the files download soon), or is it a lasting thing?

PA linked to us in August 2003. But we were fine, and we were fine when games.slashdot.org linked us before. And we're fine now. The problem this time was that nobody cut the links to the FTP and trimmed the front page in order to fortify the server. We can take 10,000 slashdotters visiting in the span of two hours, but we can't maintain the server when they all find the Files, Music and WCAs. So our public stats will show several times our regular traffic.. but there's probably a good five to ten thousand people who didn't get counted or got turned away because of this situation.

All right, because PA should link you again, this is big gaming news. BTW, what did they linked you about last year?

I believe it was about WCP:GBA.

(Penny Arcade has a lot of readers, but Slashdot is the gold standard...)

Bandit LOAF said:
I believe it was about WCP:GBA.

Just prior to DragonCon, Hades, Justin and I went to a party that Gabe and Tycho were throwing. So we pulled out some GBAs and demonstrated it for them right there and they seemed to like it a lot. Tycho knew a whole lot about Wing Commander and was pretty interested in how we were keeping the community alive. We gave him a CIC pen and he mentioned us in their news.

They should make a cartoon about this, about the guy who got the great idea of closing Origin.

Delance said:
They should make a cartoon about this, about the guy who got the great idea of closing Origin.

It'd just be some normal guy holding a wad of cash - selling Origin's campus is probably going to make EA a whole lot of money (G)

Back