Yet another frustrated W98 user.

Sandy

Spaceman
I have been strongly urged to try out Wing Commander Privateer, and followed some boot advice to no avail. I hope you guys can help.

I have Privateer installed on a D: hard drive, my CD drive (which I shouldn't need, right?) is F:

Soundcard: onboard Creative SBPCI

Current startup files:

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE /FRAME=NONE
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

AUTOEXEC.BAT
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\SBPCI

@SET CLASSPATH=C:\PROGRA~1\PHOTOD~1.1\ADOBEC~1

SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;%PATH%

PATH=%PATH%;"C:\ProgramFiles\Mts"

mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

DOSSTART.BAT
C:\SBPCI\SBINIT

I'd edited the config.sys to read:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE 10240
and bypassed all other startups. I figured I'd tackle the sound later, if I could get the game running first. No such luck, since I only get as far as the "JEMM unloaded" message, or whatever it is.

So, 2 questions: can I run this game, and is it worth it?

[edited to add: I'm not fussed about the joystick (dexxa) loading unless it's completely necessary.]

Sandy, What country are you in? What graphic card do you have?

Silent Warrior is right you need to use either a boot disk or a icon which will boot you into DOS. I like to boot disk better. Do not try to edit your C:\autoexec.bat or c:\config.sys. It's looks like you are running Adobe photoshop and the setting to get P1 running may conflict with it.

I'm in the UK (hence 044 - country code for UK - and keybuk - UK keyboard layout). As for possible conflicts with Photoshop, I wouldn't have thought that I'd have to change the CLASSPATH environment variable in autoexec.bat to run this. I'd be surprised, in fact.

I've got no problems about editing autoexec.bat or config.sys - I'm an old hand at this, and remember doing it using EDLIN. (For any younger readers curious as to "what is this EDLIN of which you speak?" - Be afraid. Be very afraid...;) )
The graphics adapter is nVidia TNT2 M64 - if I need a Geforce 3 to run this, then this game is really ahead of its time...

Ah well - thanks for the support. This is a useful resource, and you guys are doing a great job.

11) Linking to, offering, requesting, or hinting at the existence or whereabouts of warez, abandonwarez or other illegal content, can result in immediate banning.

Originally posted by KrisV
11) Linking to, offering, requesting, or hinting at the existence or whereabouts of warez, abandonwarez or other illegal content, can result in immediate banning.

I read this and thought that it referred to my post where I talked about how I had mistakenly downloaded what I thought was freeware, in which I also clearly stated my intention to purchase a legit copy of the game as a matter of personal principle. I was prepared to argue the point but apologise for offence caused and transgressions etc.

Then I noticed that my post about Edlin had been edited.

Oh dear. I think it's fair to say that

• .<-----------------Joke

:confused:<-----------------Your head

Have a look at that Edlin page - we're talking about an extremely primitive and clunky text editor that was unpopular in its supposed heyday (mid to late 1980's) - and you'll see that the very idea of illegal copies of this app is ludicrous. And if you don't, then I can only surmise you love the letter of the law just a little too much.

By the way, how can you have a rule that prohibits "hinting at the existence of warez"? The rule itself not only hints at their existence, it explicitly names them!

Oh, I hadn't even seen your original post yet, which is in fact a whole lot worse. Thanks for pointing that out. Now, here's rule 11 once more.

Back