Yans

So... just because something was never mentioned in the game or previous sources, that item doesn't exist or does't belong in the universe? In that case, I guess Anakin Skywalker never had a mother - he just showed up one day and became Darth Vader. Or Obi-Wan never had any master other than Yoda.

ofcourse the item can be added to the story, however this should have been consulted with the producer. and been built into a timeline of some sort. to avoid contradicting their own story. also, the starwars story had already been written in the books.

Mace said:
ofcourse the item can be added to the story, however this should have been consulted with the producer. and been built into a timeline of some sort. to avoid contradicting their own story.

You don't seem to understand what several people have said and resaid here. What will it take to get this information into your head? You're obviously not comprehending what people are telling you. All the novels were written with full consultations with Origin and "producers." Everything in the novels was built into the timeline in a way to avoid contradicting anything in the games. The whole premise of entire novels was sometimes to set the scene for what happened between two games. This was done in full cooperation with Origin and the people who made the Wing Commander games. How many times will we have to say it? What you're saying should have been done was already done with every novel. Should I repeat myself again? Origin was involved in the creation of the novels. Things in the novels were changed after consulting with Origin so that the games and books worked together better. How many ways can we say the same thing? Everything that came out in the novels was fine with these so-called producers. You're spouting about nothing.

Mace said:
ofcourse the item can be added to the story, however this should have been consulted with the producer. and been built into a timeline of some sort. to avoid contradicting their own story. also, the starwars story had already been written in the books.

Are you even reading my posts? Or anyone else's? The books are OFFICIAL. They consulted with Origin, and Origin okayed the additions.

Speaking of Star Wars, Anakin Skywalker's mother was never described in the books. If you're talking about the EU books, the "Black Fleet Crisis" novels describe Luke following up on his other's origins... and never do they hint at Naboo. Therefore, following your original line of thought, adding Shmi and the 'virgin birth' for Anakin is somethign that shouldn't have happened since it was never previously described anywhere else, and Lucas only came up with the idea relatively recently, from what I recall.

I do not disagree with you on that point. my initial statement was that it would be strange to have created a universe, and let an author simply come up with a war and a new previously unknown alien race as a historical event, that is all.

anakin having a mother does not contradict anything in the books, it was added in,
also killing her makes a good explenation for part of his anger and hate that made him become vader.

Mace said:
my initial statement was that it would be strange to have created a universe, and let an author simply come up with a war and a new previously unknown alien race as a historical event, that is all.

1) The novels were a byproduct of an author and Origin's collaboration as we've said fifty times and you fail to undestand.
2) It's an incredibly minor "historical event" hundreds of years removed from anything else of consequence.

You also fail to understand the whole point of the novels, which is to flesh out the backstory of the universe. You are challenging the novels to not do what they are designed to do. Stop trying to justify it, we're just going to keep telling you that you're making random statements without coherent thought or a valid point.

Mace said:
I do not disagree with you on that point. my initial statement was that it would be strange to have created a universe, and let an author simply come up with a war and a new previously unknown alien race as a historical event, that is all.

anakin having a mother does not contradict anything in the books, it was added in,
also killing her makes a good explenation for part of his anger and hate that made him become vader.

The reason for the Yan appearing in Action Stations was to illustrate just how unprepared the Confederation was for a major war - they could've, at least in theory, kept just the historical reference to the start of the Pacific campaigns of WWII, but they wanted to provide a more relevant example. Therefore, they used a throwaway line... just as they've used similar examples of tyrants like Zhing and Harold Jarvis. It's something which is never explained, but is used to add flavor to the story by including an example that would be common-place information to anyone of that setting, but which means nothing to us as we don't know anything about said events. But can infer what they meant, based on the context - it's no different than Luke talking about shooting womp rats from a landspeeder, or the Emperor of Kilrah remembering the war on the Varni, who'd also never appeared in any of the games or books prior to Action Stations.

Also, none of the Ep IV-VI novelizations discuss anything about Anakin's mother - she was added later, for Episode I. Anakin being a slave was added in Episode I - they never talk about his history in Ep's IV-VI except to note that he was a Jedi and a great pilot. Given your complaint about how something like the Yan were thrown in, seemingly out of nowhere and discrupting WC, the introduction of Shmi Skywalker, Watto, and Anakin's childhood as a slave and building C3PO should be far more serious than the offhand mention of the Yan in Action Stations.

Back