xbox360-pc questions

Was your Delta PSU pulled from an OEM system, like a Dell desktop or something? I'm not sure how well regarded they are generally -- they may be perfectly fine, as a lot of PSUs are rebadged Tiawanese designs, but often the wattage can be misleading with lower quality PSU's claiming X Watts that they can only achieve on some rails at 20% efficiency or whatever.

A good 600W+ PSU from an established make should be fine, 700-800W more than enough unless you plan to use exotic overclocking and upgrade to a dual-socket CPU platform, like Intel's Skulltrail. I'd look for one with the 80 Plus efficiency certification and stick to one of the big brands like Antec, Corsair, Enermax, PC Power & Cooling, Coolermaster, OCZ, Hiper, ThermalTake, Seasonic or Tagan.

Do you have dual GeForce 8800GTXs or the more recent 8800GT(S)'s? You could also use nVIDIA's SLI certified list of PSU's here.

Nvidia 8800 GTX 640mb.
Can't even find the PSU on the site...and the PSU's listed in the MAX 550-ATX isn't even listed.
Came new, picked it from the list avalible on the website. Was more or less looking at the voltage/amp and not the brand name Foolish of me but live and learn. :) Like you said it's might just be of poor manufacturer or relabled as whatever. Went back and looked on the site where I got the hardware (could pick and choose what hardware to add to system) and kicking myself cus some of the PSU's you listed were avalible.
It's all a learning experience and though frustraiting as heck it's fun to cut and paste a system and bounce ideas back and forth. Unfortunatly I don't know anyone with a computer...half the computers i have stashed in storage are computers people give me cus they bought them, used them as paperweights and give them away cus they're just taking u space. So I strip them for anything useful and toss 'em or more frequently they sit stacked in a closet.

At the moment, the only drawback to going with a 64-bit OS, is that you won't be able to run 16-bit software (it should be unlikely that most people run any now anyway)

You mean like about every DOS game? Like say Wing Commander?!

Deadman ny said:
It's all a learning experience and though frustraiting as heck it's fun to cut and paste a system and bounce ideas back and forth
No worries. While a stable PSU has always been a requirement, over the past five years in particular, with multiple graphics card configurations and climbing thermal envelopes on CPUs, a good PSU has now become a vital component in an enthusiast system and should rank as the top priority when building/upgrading.

Ok, if your graphics card has a 640MB framebuffer, then it must one of the original (G80-based) GeForce 8800 GTS cards, as they are the only ones to come in that configuration (as well as a 320MB version!). Nvidia have really screwed up their naming scheme for the 8-series, in part due to ATI's early release of their 3800 graphics cards last year. The (G80) 8800 GTX has 768MB RAM. To really confuse people, they decided to brand their refresh (G92) card as the 8800GT (112 stream processors) with 512MB RAM and then even worse, another with 128 stream processors as 8800GTS 512MB -- to anyone who doesn't follow their releases closely it's been a recipe for customer confusion! Leaked roadmaps suggest that Nvidia are now going to effectively rebrand their 8800GT 512MB (G92) as the 9800GT in March with a faster (G92) 9800GTX as well. This is how achieve to ~50% margins, people! ATI take note. :p

cff said:
It should work because the DOS environment is emulated. :)

Crap...my bad...Nvidia 8800 GTS 640mb cards. All the pretty numbers and letters get confusing...they can't just make it simple can they..or I. :)

What about Win95 games like Kilrathi Saga, WC4, WC3, WC5??, Starcraft and such under Vista64? They still good? If they'll work with the OS I'm gunna try Vista 64.
Why do they keep screwing us with the OS??? Is it impossible to keep DOS and 8 bit, 16, 32 bit stuff to run under a 64bit OS with all the supposed bells and whistles? If not maybe duel operating systems is the only way to go. But is that possible since Vista32 can't run with more then 4 gig? Or do you just lose the other 4gig on bootup on Vista32?

Oh, was reading through FAQ's and found NOT to use the driver CD that came with the motherboard. Most notably for the ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY. Thankfully I didn't. :) Installed XP then strait to Vista update...Vista Installed it's own drivers for the motherboard (thankfully) and it's still stable. One guy likened it to a virus...no matter how hard you try to delete it, regedit ect. Causing fun stuff like random system crashes. Something to do with power management.

The CMOS has a voltage monitor and it was struggling to meet 12v, 5.5, 3v. They all hovered just at or below 12,5,3v. Now they're more stable or above voltage.

Yeah, like Bryn mentioned, I think DOSBox takes care of all that. So in theory you should be covered up to the (32-bit, right?) Prophecy/Secret Ops.

When I talked to tech support dude he said to WAIT if you were going to buy Vista64 until the end of March. He said a newer version was going to be reliesed and it was "better." He could not tell me weather specific programs (win95 resident) would run but to make sure that you had a 64bit cpu along with other compliant hardware and drivers.
My old base score was 4.2 on my old computer. Now it's 5.0 (lowerst benchmark is memory)...all the other tests (cpu, vid, hdd) are 6.2. Even though there is 4 gig installed I never have less then 1.5gig free even under heavy load.
the benchmark tests I ran under Spaceforce and Lost Planet were 67fps with no apparent "studder" is that good? Neither video cards are overclocked nor is the CPU.

I tried streming video nd pics from my pc to my Xbox360. The pics come through and I can see them but I'm having no luck with the videos. Does anyone know what format they have to be in to view? I can see the vid's in the selection screen but they don't play.

Oh, what port does the Xbox360 use? I've tried going online to play Arena and other games but none are listed... Most likely I need to open the port in my router firewall (i know how to do that) but I'm not sure what port. tis may have something to do with the vids not playing.

I tried streming video nd pics from my pc to my Xbox360. The pics come through and I can see them but I'm having no luck with the videos. Does anyone know what format they have to be in to view? I can see the vid's in the selection screen but they don't play.

Oh, what port does the Xbox360 use? I've tried going online to play Arena and other games but none are listed... Most likely I need to open the port in my router firewall (i know how to do that) but I'm not sure what port. tis may have something to do with the vids not playing.

I think they pretty much have to be WMVs to stream them. If you put them on a CD the 360 will play AVIs including DivX files. I can't remember but think it will play mpeg files too but to stream they pretty much need to be WMV files.

Regarding arena, as is typical of most live arcade titles so long after release there isn't always a lot of people playing online. You can try and arrange a game here or in #wingnut though.

Lot easier to hook S-video wire to my laptop and using WAN since most, if not all the vids on my computer are in mpeg. Been doing this for about a mnth now and it works very well. Including watching movies off of Netflix on my TV.

It was rather warm out today compared to, well winter getting up to 75f and when I got home it was rather warm in the house, particully around the computer. The CPU is off the ground and I have it sitting on my desk (right were I can see it). It has about 12" from the wall (side of chassis that pops off) 6" from monitor and 8" from wall so it has breathing room. There is a ceiling fan in the room that it running 99% of the time to circulate air in room.
Anyways, got home and it's rather warm in house, I go by computer, and even in sleep mode I could feel the heat eminating out of the side of the computer. I have a small tower fan that I just now stuck next to the computer to help with cooling blowing at an angle (hdd area to back of computer).

So a couple of questions and suggestions would be apreciated. When I was in school my computer science teacher who helped me build my first computer told me that leaving the computer on was better for it then turning it on and off. That was over a decade ago though and tech has changed a little. Does this still hold true?
Cooling...short of changing over to liquid cooled...what are some tips for keeping the heat down? This is only the beginning and it's going to get much hotter out and to save on utilities I typically only turn AC on when it gets into the mid 80's. Just keep the fan planted there? That bothers me too cus it couses my screen to "shake". At least untill the fan is about 2 foot away from the cpu... will this screw computer up too? I know it's the EM field from the fan causig this and I tried other fans (box fan, window fan) with same result. The tower fan fits just right and seems to cause the least interfearence.

Back