xbox games

Bigt028

Rear Admiral
ok, so i got an xbox 360 for my birthday, and i wanted to know if you can play xbox games on a 360.
i found a conversion link that shows many games playable on the 360
however a friend told me about "jaws unleashed" and it is only for xbox, does anyone know if this game cam be played on the 360, it is not on the list

You can play some xbox games on the xbox360 - the two consoles are so different, it's like running an xbox game on a PS3. Microsoft has done an emulator that works for the most part, but only the games on the list are supported.

You can try it, and I believe the xbox360 will let you play it, but whether you can play it properly is a different question. There may be graphical glitches, or it may hang, or just play wierd.

You'll need a hard rive to place the emulator package in,and some 360's (the core and arcade editions) do not have hard drives.

thanks, i got a "bundle" 360 and it came with one wireless controller, 60GB hard drive, two games and the headset.

it would be a shame if the game wouldnt work, but it is not on the list.
now, one i connect to the internet, does it automatically download the patch, or i have to try the game and it will lok for the patch.
thanks for the sugestions

You'll need a hard rive to place the emulator package in,and some 360's (the core and arcade editions) do not have hard drives.

The Core has been discontinued for a while, and the newer Arcade systems are actually coming with flash memory inside the unit (instead of a bundled memory card).

now, one i connect to the internet, does it automatically download the patch, or i have to try the game and it will lok for the patch.

It doesn't try to download until you've put the game in.

Actually, the hard drive is required - the flash memory on the new Arcade systems is just to have enough to properly run NXE and serve as a basic memory card.

The reason is the original xbox had a hard drive - part of the xbox360 hard drive is used to serve as the xbox compatibility hard disk (for data caching and other functions).

The only thing is, Microsoft isn't working on the emulator - I believe the compatibility list is going to be the final list you'll ever see. If that's a problem, you should be able to still get an original xbox from GameStop/EBGames or other store selling used systems.

Yeah, Microsoft stopped working on the BC list almost a year ago.

And you'd better get the old Xbox stuff while you still can. Supposedly Gamestop/EB are going to stop accepting Xbox stuff on February 9.

Yeah, Microsoft stopped working on the BC list almost a year ago.

I can understand why they'd do that in some cases (Chronicles Of Riddick, for example) but why they wouldn't do it for more games doesn't make any sense to me.

Then again, I still have a PS2 because I enjoy playing some old PSX games...

Then again, I still have a PS2 because I enjoy playing some old PSX games...

This was going to be my next question. Which older games are supported on the PS3? I'm wondering if it is worth trading in the old PS2 or not...

I can understand why they'd do that in some cases (Chronicles Of Riddick, for example) but why they wouldn't do it for more games doesn't make any sense to me.

Part of it was because according to Microsoft, "no one really used it", so they dropped it, amazingly enough, around the same time Sony announced that newer PS3 models would lack BC.

It really ticks me off, because stupid shit like Barbie Horse Adventures is on the list, yet Mercenaries is still glitchy as all hell and I can't play Advent Rising. Good thing I kept Wheezy (my Xbox).

This was going to be my next question. Which older games are supported on the PS3? I'm wondering if it is worth trading in the old PS2 or not...

Depending on which model of PS3 you have, all PSX and PS2 games are supported...minus any games that required a special controller (like light gun games). All new models that are currently out on retail shelves cannot play PSX or PS2, so you might want to check on Wikipedia about your type of model.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

Barbie Horse Adventures is on the list, yet Mercenaries is still glitchy as all hell and I can't play Advent Rising.

If it was a purchasing decision for enough people, they would continue to update it, but apparently it isn't. It's also dependent on what games they can get running on the emulator. The games that are easier to get going on the new hardware are more likely to work than more popular games.

Depending on which model of PS3 you have, all PSX and PS2 games are supported...minus any games that required a special controller (like light gun games). All new models that are currently out on retail shelves cannot play PSX or PS2, so you might want to check on Wikipedia about your type of model.

All Playstation 3 models have PSX (and Wing Commander) backwards compatibility support. Sony has a better page on backwards compatibility by model http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/playstation.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=232

well i picked up that "jaws" game, it looks so cool and there are great game videos you can watch online. now all i need is either a working xbox, or they come out with the "emulator" so can play it on the 360....

I find it amazing that Sony would remove the feature of backwards compatibility after clearly including it in an initial production run. Does including this feature on the PS3 dramatically increase the cost to Sony? I can't see how eliminating it is a positive.

I'm glad I brought this up, since this was going to be a key issue for me and I could easily have made a mistake.

You know, the Wii infuriates me too. I tried to jam an old SNES cartridge into the drive and I ended up cracking the front, and now Nintendo is trying to tell me it's my fault!

:D

The deal with PS3 BC is quite convoluted.

The first Japanese units, and the very first North American PS3s shipped with a PS3 "guts", as well as the PS2 "guts" (the combined EE+GS (Emotion Engine + Graphics Synthesizer) chip used in the PS2 slim). In effect, your PS3 has two consoles inside it - the PS3 Cell+RSX stuff, and a PS2 Slim.

To save costs (it was costing Sony quite a lot to make a PS3 - estimates had around $2400 or so per PS3, or roughly 30 PS3 games or many, many, many Blu-Ray movies), Sony got rid of the EE unit, instead emulating that and still having the GS. These units were first introduced with the European models, and carried back to North American and Japanese markets. These units have software emulation, and reduced compatibility.

Then Sony needed to release an even more lower cost PS3, and Sony got rid of the GS period. The lack of a GS pretty much eliminated all hope of PS2 compatibility. PSX compatibility came later, mostly because the Playstation Network Store started selling PSX games to run on the PSP. A few firmware revisions later, it became possible to play these PSX-PSP games on the PS3 - Sony wrote a fully software emulator for the PSX on the PS3. This isn't that big a feat, since the PSX is quite weak by today's standards - 33MHz MIPS R3000 CPU and a basic CPU, and only 2MB of RAM.

Unfortunately, the GS is very difficult to emulate, being a highly advanced GPU with a fully programmable core - think of it as another MIPS CPU with advanced vector units.

This is why now all PS3s can emulate a PSX, but only those with a GS can emulate a PS2. In addition, if you have an early model PS3 with the EE+GS chip, you can switch between the software emulator and hardware, by enabling/disabling the upscaling feature (I believe - I haven't verified if it uses the software emulator while upscaling is on, and the hardware while it's off).

As for cost - the less parts it takes to assemble a PS3, the cheaper it is to manufacture. Less parts to go bad, less parts reduces the chance a unit is defective during manufacture, less inventory, less heat, etc. etc. etc.

Anyhow, new PS2s are under $100, and if you're going that route, it's cheaper to go with the $400 PS3 and PS2 than the $500+ bundle, unless you want the game. And PS2 games are still coming out. Unlike the Xbox, where Microsoft laid out a timeline after which no more Xbox games will be made and basically ended Xbox games (everyone migrates to the Xbox360), the PS2 is still a money maker for Sony. Heck, Sony will probably keep making PS2s until the PS4 starts getting finalized (like they did with the PSX - that thing was still being made as the PSOne until a few years ago!).

Unlike the Xbox, where Microsoft laid out a timeline after which no more Xbox games will be made and basically ended Xbox games (everyone migrates to the Xbox360), the PS2 is still a money maker for Sony.
I remember being quite furious about this, at christmas 2006 all units(and their games) were taken right out of the shelves, because at the time the original xbox bundles were on even price with the 360 core edition and the last games released(Marvel Ultimate Alliance, GUN, Mortal Kombat Armageddon, Call of Duty 3), were just about equal to their 360 versions.

Xboxes are fairly cheap second hand, and the emulator does have problems as said above, so i'd try to go and cash out euhm... 35-55$ for a second hand xbox? PAL-mint-condition xboxes(some evem sealed) including one controller go for 60 Euro's in a used game store here in holland, and a local ebay-variant overhere you get private sales including games for as low as 45...

If it was a purchasing decision for enough people, they would continue to update it, but apparently it isn't.

Crying shame. I was enjoying going back and getting games I had missed from the previous XBox platform.

Crying shame. I was enjoying going back and getting games I had missed from the previous XBox platform.

There's probably enough used XBoxes floating around for all the people who are into that and want games that the 360 doesn't run.

"Probably"? Your local EBGames/GameStop probably has a number of original xboxes in stock. It's a fairly easy system to get. I can't remember how much they are now, but I suppose they want to clear them out.

And I'm not counting the other ways of getting an Xbox (Craigslist, Ebay, etc). Heck, if you're cheap, you probably can post a wanted ad on your company's bulletin board and get one for cheap.

GameStop is selling Xbox 180s for $50, which seems pretty steep. I think supply outstrips demand by an order of magnitude (for GameCubes, too). The only issue is getting NASA to loan you a shuttle crawler to transport the new system for you...

I also don't believe there are any spectacularly rare games, either. The most interesting thing for me will be seeing how we end up dealing with preserving entirely digital content, like the various extra download planes for Secret Weapons Over Normandy.

Back