Xbox 360 Prices Announced

ChrisReid said:
You don't buy a new console at launch for games to play better, you buy them to look better and perhaps have some new technological features. Playability it a subjective measurement that's not locked to technological advancement. Games that play better will dot the gaming landscape here and there, no matter what console they're for. You buy new consoles in order to play all your fun favorites in high definition with much better effects/shading/lighting/textures/environment/draw distance/etc. Breakthrough innovative titles will come, but that's not the primarily reason to buy a new system.

Well, if you're in it for the eyecandy, more power to ya. :)

That's entirely dependent on what people buy and the market dictates. Halo and Madden sequels will or won't flood the market no matter what hardware is out there.

That is an incomplete view of the issue. Development costs are a huge factor in this picture, and both the x360 and the ps3 kick them to a impressive new high. Not only the new platforms are just more expensive, the cost in man-hours skyrocketed without much gain in anything other than graphics.

And the programmers will take a long time to dominate the completely new way in which multi-core processors work. They'll have to work a lot harder to get to the same place.

And all that really helps killing any risk taking. developers will focus more and more on safe bets, and that's why even the ocasional KAtamary-like game will tend to disappear.

ChrisReid said:
My entire room is a 360 degree electromagnetic radiationathon. Wireless stuff used to be dorky, but it's pretty incredible now. I definitely can count on my wireless accessories to work as well as the wired counterparts. My mouse and keyboard are spot on. Finally had to change the batteries after more than a year of heavy daily use. The GameCube Wavebird is an incredible piece of technology. I wasn't interested in Wireless controllers before that, but after using one regularly, I can't imagine going back. On top of that, I've got four controllers for multiple systems sitting in boxes around here. Whether they're in storage or stuck in the pocket of a bag to travel somewhere, not having to bind and keep track of the cords cuts the size and hassle in half. There'll be wired controllers too, and if you know anyone with one, they'll probably gladly trade for your wireless.

Yep, the wavebird is indeed a marvel. The only reason why I still have a couple of wired controllers for the Cube is that the Bird lacks rumble, which is actually usefull for a couple of games, WindWaker included.

But all 1st party controllers after the 'bird will support full rumbling, so there you go.

Chris, why do you use your mouse and keyboard so much if you don't game in the PC? :)

Karl, you should try current wireless controllers, they work really well nowadays.

BTW, funny how Nintendo pioneers nearly all controller techs. cross d-pad, shoulder buttons, analog stick, in-controller expansion slot, rumble, 1st party wireless... Nearly ALL technologies debuted in nintendo hardware.

Edfilho said:
BTW, funny how Nintendo pioneers nearly all controller techs. cross d-pad, shoulder buttons, analog stick, in-controller expansion slot, rumble, 1st party wireless... Nearly ALL technologies debuted in nintendo hardware.
Very true. I'm not a huge fan of nintendo, but they have designed some damn good controllers. Far better than the monstrosity that is the PS2 controller.

Yeah, although (not trying to start a console war) I really like the feel of the xbox standard controller...it just feels so ergonomically perfect in my hand. I've heard several people complain that it's too big but it feels just right to me? The PS2 makes my hands cramp after about an hour.

Maj.Striker said:
Yeah, although (not trying to start a console war) I really like the feel of the xbox standard controller...it just feels so ergonomically perfect in my hand. I've heard several people complain that it's too big but it feels just right to me? The PS2 makes my hands cramp after about an hour.

Good news, because while it looks very similar, the 360 controller has an even better feel. They took some of the "fat" out from around the left and right sides and so you have a better grip on it.

Happy Camper said:
Is that it? I'm putting that on my Xmas list.

They acknowledged that they way overpriced it in Europe at the beginning several years ago. Now it's pretty much similar to the US prices.

Edfilho said:
That is an incomplete view of the issue. Development costs are a huge factor in this picture, and both the x360 and the ps3 kick them to a impressive new high. Not only the new platforms are just more expensive, the cost in man-hours skyrocketed without much gain in anything other than graphics.

And all that really helps killing any risk taking. developers will focus more and more on safe bets, and that's why even the ocasional KAtamary-like game will tend to disappear.

This was a rumored fear going into the last cycle as well. Of course the most expensive games will have record-setting budgets, but there's nothing really stopping people from making "lower tech" games for newer systems. Game manufacturing costs went up in the last cycle, but the market capacity increased and they sold more copies in total. And the MSRP in the next generation is going up to $60, so I think the balance really won't change much at all.

Edfilho said:
Chris, why do you use your mouse and keyboard so much if you don't game in the PC? :)

I spend several hours a day just on CIC related stuff..

Back