Xanmovie

Deadman

Spaceman
I just got the Kilrathi saga and was trying to use some of the programs in the CIC files area. The ones where you can watch the game movies without playing the games. Well the program says it needs Xanmovie to play, no prob since I got the program with KS but how do I use it? Okay, lets start out slow. I was trying to watch the trailers so I could get screenshots but I can't open the AVI files for some reason. It keeps giving me an Xanmovi compression ewrror, Xanmovie isn't present... How do I make it so I can watch the trailers using Media Player?

----------
You might be a redneck if...You look upon a family reunion as a chance to meet `Ms. Right'

The .avi files are made to use Xanmovie, so you can't open them by yourself. When using Xan, you just have to drag the movie file you want to see and drop it on the Xanomovie file. Why do you want to watch the trailers though? You can just view it from the KS launcher.

You can also edit your File Types settings to add Xanmovie to the list of options when you right-click on an AVI file. If you need to know how to do this, just ask.

I'm asking.
smile.gif

----------
You might be a redneck if...You can change the oil in your truck without ducking your head.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this'll help, but I'll post it anyway. Courtesy of Tony Zurovec. Lead designer of the Crusader games.

Want to watch those AVI movies?
If you have No Regret, you have the tools!
Because the flicks and movie for No Regret were compressed under
an in-house system, you can not watch them as you would standard AVI's.
Instead you will have to use XANMOVIE.EXE
found on the No Regret disk in the /GATE/TRAILERS directory.

The easiest way to do this is to copy XAN*.* to C:\Windows.
While in a DOS window go to the /FLICS directory on No Regret.
Now just type XANMOVIE [filename.avi] to watch.

Or If you want to play them through Windows
Copy the xanlib.dll found in /Gate/Trailer
on the No Regret disk into your C:Windows/System directory.
Then edit your System.INI in you r C:/Windows directory
and add VIDC.XXAN=xanlib.dll down near the other VIDC (just do a search.)

You can also add MSACM.axan=axanlib.acm after it
(but until we locate the axanlib.acm the flicks will not have sound.)

Once you save and restart your system, when you go into the
/Flics directory on No Regret and double-click on any AVI,
Windows will now play the flics, (but without sound, sorry.)

Using these you can easily ALT+Print Screen

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Cool, but were do the pics get saved to? Are they just saved to C:\Temp like they are when you are ripped?

---------
You might be a redneck if...When you run out of gas, you put gin in the gas tank!

I don't know, I've never tried it.

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Okay, then do you know how to make it so that when you play the AVI it's not full-screen? It would also be nice to be able to pause, fast-forward and such the movie.... Is that possible at all?

---------
You might be a redneck if...Your lifetime goal is to own a fireworks stand.

I don't think so. Those are all features that should be in the player, but seeing that the Xanmovie player is only used for gameplay purposes and not general movie viewing (like meadiaplayer or realplayer) there would be no need to integrate ffwd, stop and pause features. So I think you're gonna be stuck with fullscreen and no options.
frown.gif

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Well that sucks.
frown.gif
Thanks for the help though.

-----------
You might be a redneck if...You owe the taxidermist more than your annual income.

nah, don't mention it.

------------------
The time is near.

I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Re: fullscreen, my guess is that the games turn it on or off using command line switches, but I have no idea what they are.

Now, for shell integration of Xanmovie.exe:

Open up Windows Explorer and hit View->Folder Options. Then, hit the File Types tab, and scroll down to the "Video Clip" entry (near the bottom). Double-click the entry. Hit New. Type "Open with XanMovie" in the top field. Hit the Browse button and locate XanMovie.exe (hopefully, you copied this to your hard drive at some point). Hit OK and you're done.

Now, when you right-click on any AVI file, you should see the option "Open with XanMovie" somewhere near the top of the list. Use it whenever you want to see the in-game movies.

I'm probably beating a dead subject here, but I'd like to know more about Xanmovie.

I have it from No Regret, so that's not a problem, I'm just wondering about any options.

For instance, the video is always interlaced, but if you integrate xanlib.dll into system.ini, it comes out non-interlaced. Does anybody know about that, or is it just some unknown command line, as said earlier for full screen?

Again, my guess is that it's a command-line argument, and I have no idea how you might find it. I suppose it could be the same thing as the argument to turn off interlacing in WC3W and WC4, which is:

-no_interlace

I have no idea if that'll work, though.

Hey Stinger,

I already tried -no_interlace, and I had no such luck. However, I do remember looking through the properties and seeing a few interesting things. For one thing, it said that the name was actually "Happy Movie Player." Weird. It also said who made the program, but I can't remember it right now. I'll have to get the CD from home and look at it again. Maybe we could ask this person about it.

No need to get the CD; here's the information:

Comments: Written by Jason Yenawine
Company Name: Origin Systems, Inc.
Internal Name: Happy
Language: English (United States)
Original Filename: Happy.exe
Product Name: Happy Movie Player / Subtitle Editor
Product Version: 2,0,0,0

Happy hunting.

Thanks, Stinger.

I looked up Jason Yenawine on the Internet and it looks like he helped make Wing Commander III and IV, as well as some of their patches. Do you have any idea if he even works for Origin anymore or where we could find him?

No idea, but my guess would be that he doesn't work there anymore, based on recent occurances. You may want to find out if he was involved in UO or UO2 development, in which case he would probably still be there.

Well, it looks like my hunting is half paid off. I found his e-mail address. I have just barely sent a message to him, asking if he had any information on Xanmovie, if he could give it to me, AND if I could post it here. Now all I can do is wait for a reply.

Back