X3 Beta Opening Up (August 18, 2005)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Egosoft has opened up a limited open beta for its upcoming space sim X3 Reunion. Members of their community that already have an NDA on file will be eligible. Others can sign up with their DevNet and begin the process, but they will probably have to wait. The game will also be on display at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Germany beginning today, so space sim fans who are anticipating this title should be getting a better look at the game one way or another.

--
Original update published on August 18, 2005

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think too many people will be at the gc with the pope being in cologne(just a few miles from my place!!! ;))

x3 looks almost as good as the sw movies, but it's a business simulator, not a space simulator, really...too bad, if you ask me. if wc or fs looked like that...

My experience with X: Beyond the Frontier and X2: The Threat is that both were rather lacking in polish, that the scripts were a little lack-luster, and that the combat was surprisingly unfulfilling. X2 was very pretty to look at and had many options, but that seemed to be its greatest strength to me. Hopefully, they will build on its strenghts and improve upon its weaknesses for X3.

Well I for one am looking forward to this game. You cannot really label it as a Business simulation, because that is not it's main focus. It is a 4X game, where you can build stations, fight in combat ships, explore the universe, build an empire. X3 Reunion is hoping to build upon and improve every aspect of the game.

Those that really did not like having to wade through masses of text, will be happy that the interface is being streamlined to make it easier to navigate, especially since this game will also be coming out on console. But X3 is being developed for the PC first, so PC users have no cause for concern about dodgy ports from consoles to PC's.

Combat is going to be improved, with a more Wing Commander feel to it (As one reporter mentioned in an interview/preview) So you will be able to use intertia for the first time and slide around etc, the combat has also been said to be similar to Bablyon 5. But Seeing I nor many other people have actually played any version of X3 yet, we will not know.

You can own more than one ship in the X games, and this is one of it's strengths. However some people may not like to play the game because it is Singleplayer only. To this, I say thats rubbish, If there are some who would not buy this game, yet played and enjoyed Wing Commander 1 or 2, which were both SP, as I guess all of you here know. There is also a very dedicated community at the EGOSOFT forums, ready to help out newbies to X2, and I'm sure will be more than happy to help people with starting in X3.

The X games are hardly a Business simulation, Until X3, the economy model has been supply/demand, but apparently the X3 economy will include ROI Return On Investment, or something like that, hopefully making for a more realistic experience for those wanting to build factories.

However, do not be turned off by the fact that you can build factories! If you seriously do not want to go near that side of things, you can completely ignore building an empire and make a living doing missions and fighting, and capturing ships from whose pilots have ejected.

Apparently the race relations will be dynamic, so your empire could get involved in large battles between the races living in the X-universe. You will also face AI competitors who will be building factoires of their own for their own empire! It is improvements like these that will surely make X3 a game to remember! (I hope ^^)

As you can see I do anticipate this game, Like Sphynx said, I hope they improve upon the weaknesses in XbtF, X-T, X2. I do not know how many of you would enjoy this game, but at least try it, if you are looking for something a bit different.

If they can deliver those features, it may well be worth my time. I guess we'll wait and see. Honestly, I hope they do well. The concept has a lot of merit.

At least the art direction seems to be improved. Graphical engine apart, x and x2 were dreadfully designed, artistically speaking.

Will the truly terrible script and cutscenes be improved do you think?

Having read of but never played the previous X series incarnations I must admit this version is looking pretty good (at least visually...but X series games have never really lacked in graphical prettiness). The empire building thing sounds neat but also completely unrealistic. If you have just built a multi million credit industry...and you're now the CEO of a fine factory based transportation company...you're going to jump into your fighter on a regular basis and go kick some tail? I don't know...still sounds like fun. Is there going to be a widespread release in the US? Last few X games either never received a widespread release or they weren't released until quite some time afterwards. (at least not in the midwest...the only X series game I ever saw was at a Best Buy and I think it was the X BTF version).

Striker, it is the other way around, you're a pilot fighter who starts an empire... and at least on the first game, your ability to kick anything's ass is pretty limited for a long time.

And there are some guys who go rags to riches but keep it "real", maybe the guy just can't keep his hands off the controls of a starship. who knows what is a socially accpetable behaviour for magnates of other galaxies. :)

Back