X-wing and TIE fighter coming to GoG

I still have my original disks of these games. Curious what they are using as a multiplayer server or am I on my own with services like Gameranger?

Are you talking about Knights of the Old Republic? To my knowledge that's the only one of the Lucasarts titles released so far that is multiplayer.

I've actually played TIE Fighter within the past year (found a patch to make it run on Windows 7), so I have no urgent need to pick that one up. X-Wing is a different story - never finished the expansion campaigns of that one. Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis has personal sentimental value to me - picked that one up last night...

Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis has personal sentimental value to me - picked that one up last night...

Just finished a replay last week, first time since I'd played FOA in many years and certainly brought on a lot of nostalgia. One of the best if you were a Monkey Island kid.

Are you talking about Knights of the Old Republic? To my knowledge that's the only one of the Lucasarts titles released so far that is multiplayer.

I've actually played TIE Fighter within the past year (found a patch to make it run on Windows 7), so I have no urgent need to pick that one up. X-Wing is a different story - never finished the expansion campaigns of that one. Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis has personal sentimental value to me - picked that one up last night...

I think you are thinking of the MMO The Old Republic. Kotor and KotorII were singleplayer only. He was thinking of Xwing vs. Tiefighter which was centered around multiplayer. They haven't released that yet I'm afraid.

I see. I remember X-Wing v. TIE Fighter, one the very first games I ever picked up that was exclusively for Win95. I hated that damn game, largely because of the tweaks they made to the shields (though I'll admit they made the game play a bit more like the way you see things in the movies...guy gets hit once, blows up......).

Wohoo, Fate of Atlantis, I need to pick that up! Might pick up TIE Fighter and X-Wing as well for nostalgia reasons but I think they're a bit pricey compared to the rest.

Its odd just the other week I was wondering if they will realise X wing on GOG. I keep hoping that they will realise Top Gun fire at will

I see. I remember X-Wing v. TIE Fighter, one the very first games I ever picked up that was exclusively for Win95. I hated that damn game, largely because of the tweaks they made to the shields (though I'll admit they made the game play a bit more like the way you see things in the movies...guy gets hit once, blows up......).

Really? I had no idea they changed the shield strength. I think if you got hit with four super charged lasers from an Xwing it would always do a number on your shields. Was it the same in the BoP campaign? To be honest, it's strength was the multiplayer campaign, providing you could get a few guys to play it.

They didn't change the shield strength so much; what they did was that if you got hit, it counted as a hit in both fore and aft shield arcs. This differed from the original games, where you could completely lose your shields in one arc and still be fully charged in the other, and a quick rebalance would be all it took to keep you alive.

Unless there was some setting I overlooked with XvT; that's a possibility. It has been quite some time ago now.

They didn't change the shield strength so much; what they did was that if you got hit, it counted as a hit in both fore and aft shield arcs. This differed from the original games, where you could completely lose your shields in one arc and still be fully charged in the other, and a quick rebalance would be all it took to keep you alive.

Unless there was some setting I overlooked with XvT; that's a possibility. It has been quite some time ago now.

This is untrue. The model and their intention was not changed, but the engine DID change, to a full 3D engine. As part of that engine change, new models were developed. And those models behaved differently: it was now possible to hit someone so that it counted as a hit on both fore and aft (for example if you attacked from above) but a full attack was not applied to either arc.

Someone directly behind you still hit your rear shields, but someone attacking from you from above or below, depending on their angle, might also hit the fore shields even if they were approaching you from the rear.

Rebalancing your shields is still a critical part of flying a shielded ship in X-Wing VS> TIE Fighter.

Fantastic news. These are my favorite games of all time, and I hope this will give people who never played them a chance to do so.

Well that rounds out the set for me.
All of the Wing Commander Franchise and now the X-wing and Tie-fighter games, that is pretty much my teenage computing years in a nice little nostalgic package for me to enjoy again :)
Added Bonus, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, along with Monkey Islands 1 and 2 (Although personally I got those off Steam).

Back