Writer Needed for Comic...

Kenshi

Spaceman
I'm producing a Wing Commander comic book for the CIC web site. Our art team is in place and we hope to have the first issue out as soon as January!

However, there is one problem... we don't have a writer. Anyone who is interested should send a proposal to simmons07@cox.net

There are a few ground rules though:
  1. Do not send us all the Fan Fiction you have written. We are looking for proposals, short descriptions of the main characters, and where you'd take the story during the first 4 to 6 issues.
  2. It must take place during the Kilrathi War (between WC1 and WC3).
  3. Keep it PG-13, guys...

We'll choose the winner on Monday, November 29th. That's one week from today. If you have any questions, please post them in this thread.

Oh, and check back at this thread. We'll be posting some of the pre-production artwork in the next few days...

If you give me better proof, Id be more interested. I've done (mostly unpublished) comic work for independents in the last two years.

1st sketch

Here is quick sketch of a pilot in jumpsuit. I based the design off of WCIV. Of course this is just a concept sketch and is subject to change.

Keep in mind that this sketch took me about 15 minutes to do. The final artwork will be MUCH better...

Attachments

• Concept Sketch 1.jpg
    Concept Sketch 1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 155
Looks like a darn fine start there, Kenshi. For just a rough sketch, it looks rather impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing what your team puts forth.

Here's a mock up of the Logo we'll be using for the cover. Let us know what you think...

Attachments

• WC Comic Logo.jpg
    WC Comic Logo.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 154
Im still skeptical. "All the works of cultured man must fare and fade and fall" and all that stuff - and the same goes for Wing Commander fanprojects. Tell us about your team, what you're looking to accomplish, deadlines youve set, what kind of story you're looking for, etc.

We want specifics.

LeHah... the voice of skeptical reason.

Alright, let's get specific.

1. The Art Team consists of Myself and a personal friend of 20 years. I will be doing pencils, inks, and lettering. I've done concept art on several game projects, including the Space Empires series. I've also spent a year in Internship with Marvel Comics. The colorist is actually a freelance 3D model developer who has worked for several video game companies including Microsoft and EA. We've been dreaming of doing a project together for years and have always shared a love of Wing Commander.

2. What we want to accomplish depends on how the WC community reacts to the final product. At worst, we'll create a 4 to 6 issue series that everyone will make fun of in the forum. At best, it will be an ongoing series featuring stories, ideas, and concepts taken from the community itself.

3. We're hoping to have a first issue released by the end of January 05 (just over two months form now) AT THE LATEST! And this is very possible... if we find a writer now!

4. As far as the type of stories we're looking for, I suppose I could be more specific. The stories should adhere to the following guidelines. These will give you an idea of what we are looking for.
  • The storyline should focus on a group of fighter pilots during the Kilrathi War. The reasons for this are because we think the Kilrathi make great bad guys, and we want to call the book "Wing Commander". If the main characters aren't pilots, the title won't make sense.
  • The stories should conform to established Canon. That doesn't mean you can't make something new. It just means it shouldn't contradict things that already exist. In fact, we incourage fresh ideas and concepts that haven't been explored in the WC Universe.
  • The main characters should be ethnically diverse. This is a theme used throughout the games and we'd like to see it continued.
  • We are looking great action AND great characterization. One is boring without the other.

Otherwise, GO NUTS! Try things that haven't been done! Show us Action! Show us Drama! Show us what you think makes Wing Commander great! Then e-mail them to us!

Any other questions?

The sketches look cool. I hope it works out for ya. To bad you allready got your art team all squaired away though. :(

Thanks. Don't worry, Phoenix. If this goes well, we'll do some back up stories and feature other writers and artists.

It's funny that you need a writer, because there's usually lots of writers who need art people.

I got so frustrated at my job that I made my own comic strip, satiring the company, management, and processes. It was called "The Futility", and even though I can't draw worth crap, the comics always got a laugh. I doubt that's what you're looking for, though. (Sorry if that was a little off-topic)

Have you considered adapting one of the unproduced games? I, for one, would be really interested to see someones take on one of the Privateer 3's or Strike Team or somesuch...

(All the great media tie-in comics started with adaptations!)

Bandit LOAF said:
Have you considered adapting one of the unproduced games? I, for one, would be really interested to see someones take on one of the Privateer 3's or Strike Team or somesuch...

(All the great media tie-in comics started with adaptations!)

Yeah that would be really cool.

Originally Posted by Bandit LOAF

I would love to do that. Unfortunately, that would require a very substancial pre-production period (designing new ships, characters, settings). I'm much more familiar with the Wing Commander side of games and there is a TON of reference material to work with.

I'm not dismissing the idea of an adaptation (In fact, I'd love to see the Strike Team script!). All I'm saying is that, at least for now, we'd like to start with this and see where it goes.

...And keep sending those submissions!!!

[/QUOTE=Kenshi] I'm much more familiar with the Wing Commander side of games and there is a TON of reference material to work with. [/quote]

Just for the sake of conversation, that’s the one problem I was also thinking about. Most of us don't know a lot about Priv3. If we could get as much information on the background story and such that was developed by Origin before it was abandoned, then maybe. Someone could use it as a source and launching platform for creating such a project. *Nudges LOAF for the script* :) (j/k)

[/quote=Kenshi] I'm not dismissing the idea of an adaptation (In fact, I'd love to see the Strike Team script!). All I'm saying is that, at least for now, we'd like to start with this and see where it goes.[/QUOTE]

I agree, I can't wait to see what this brings.

d3r3k said:
i'm sorry to go a bit off topic, but what is strike team?

Strike Team was the name given to the sequel to WC Secret Ops, before it was canceled by EA, along with other WC games in the pipeline when Origin was made into a UO-only division..

Back