Would it be practical for Origin?

Chameleon102

Spaceman
To redo Wing Commander 1 and 2 in the Vision engine? At the very least, I imagine it would appeal to the fans.

Funnily enough, I preferred the WC4 engine to the WCP one. Although the Vision engine allowed greater tactical flying etc., Wing Commander 4's one did this with some more realistic tendancies, i.e you fly into a cap ship or another fighter, you die. This made dogfighting SO much more interesting.

Re: Filming. Yes, I KNOW Hamill et al are too old to go back into the mists as fresh faced young'uns, but personally I'd settle for the original cartoon films with voiceovers.

Opinions?

The Torpedo

One big problem in WC II.
The torpedo.
Remember that in WC I you could kill a ship with guns and missiles but in WC II only if you fire a Torpedo you could damage a ship or base with Phase Shields.
they have to use two types of ships, one with "normal" shields and one with impossible to damage Shields and the question about the Torpedos, Anti-matter and Phase weapon will start to play, because those are weapons that destroy capships, so work will be require.
Remaking the cutscenes would not be very dificult if they use Cartoon cutscenes only voice over would be require.

The question is would EA go for it.

No. Is likely to be the answer.

well if the mission would be diferent.
I am not talking about to change the story, just put a few new more among the old ones(missions that is), change the type(light, medium and heavy) and mumber of the kilrathi fighters in the old ones. but still that is more work that Origin can do at this time...
A new game is not goin to happen unless something change inside Origin and EA.

I have to agree that origin probably won't do anything related to WC for a long time but we can only hope. I also agree with Chameleon102, in that I prefer the WC4 engine over the WCP one. I like it better, the only quam I have is that it is way to easy to kill capships, its easier to take out a frigate than to take out a Dragon fighter

It's easy to take a cap ship out in every WC game, with, IMO, WC2 being by far the hardest because the corvettes fire missiles at you and the heavier ships having those antimatter guns. The only ship that ever gave me problems in any other game was the dreadnought is WC3, and that was just if I didn't have all four torps. And that was just cause I got aggrevated after trying to blow it to hell for a few minutes and would try and crash into it, which didn't work very well. In WCP, sure, you have to aim at individual parts, but it was still the same gimmick, as long as you have torps, you don't take a scratch.
Bassman

In WCP, sure, you have to aim at individual parts, but it was still the same gimmick, as long as you have torps, you don't take a scratch.
What? And what about all those fighters that insisted on killing you? Not even the plasma gun could kill all the buggers fast enough.

torps & cap ships

As last resort you can use the plasma gun on the Devistators to destroy the cap ships engines and bridge in WCP. Just wish it didnt take so long to charge after each round! Blast them bugs! Squish!

"Didnt expect that, did ya bug?" {Stilletto}

Long live WC!

RFBurns

"This is the brain case...make good use of it"

It's really no prob to zorch capships in WC2: delete defending fighters, then lock torps at range and launch at 5000m (at most). AMG's don't mean a thing if you jink out in time. :)

Back to the original topic, I don't think Origin will bother with such an idea, but it'd make a good fan project. I think several fan projects have already made 3D models of the ships, it might even be along the lines of UE is doing.

Well, we're using a number of models that previously appeared in various WC games, including some that had to be constructed from scratch (because they came from WC1 or 2). Just to keep things straight, BTW, none of these were actually constructed by the UE team.

BTW, none of these were actually constructed by the UE team.
The lazy bastards that you are, it doesn't surprise me.:)

BTW, which ships will you be using in UE? Will I get to fly the Scim or a 'sword?

ferret! arrow! banshee! my fav ships from wc2-4 respectively.
Strange I can't recall having a favorite from wc1. So in UE will we get to fly in any of the above mentioned ships?

[Edited by Dekkar on 01-22-2001 at 23:27]

Hmm, I thought I might have forgotten to reply to something.

Yes, the player will most definitely fly the Scim. In some missions he will probably have the choice of flying... brace yourself... the Epee. The Banshee is also a possibility, but still not certain. The Arrow certainly will appear in UE, but you won't be flying it. As for the Ferret and the 'Sword, neither of them appear in UE.

Back