wishes wishes... prequel?

If there was a new WC prequel game, what era should it be?

• Pilgrim wars

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Initial kilrathi conflicts (begining of the war)

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Early kilrathi war (between first contact and WC1)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • During 10 year period after destruction of tiger's claw

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • between wc2 so2 and wc3.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • time period parallel to existing games but centered on different pilots and carrier groups

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AD

Finder of things, Doer of stuff
The newest star trek series, Enterprise, happens 100 years before TOS. George Lucas is filming episodes 1-3 of the star wars saga...

If by some miracle there was a new WC game but, following the trend, it was a prequel, what era would you pick?

AD

I've got the plot for a great prequel set between the destruction of the Tiger's Claw and WC2!
See, the Kilrathi develop these new 'Phase Shields', and a brand new Dreadnought (like the one that got Goddard) is the first ship outfitted with them. Since torpedoes haven't been invented yet, and all the cap ships are armed with laser turrets, no one can touch the thing, and Confed is forced to mount a last ditch effort to halt it!
I SWEAR the resemblence between this scenario and Freespace is ENTIRELY coincidental...
Besides, I can't remember who invented Phase Shields, and knowing my luck after suggesting something like this, its Confed.
:p

Seriously, though, if a game were a prequel as opposed to a proper sequel, I think I might like to see something set during WC1 or WC2 (or between). With any luck, it would also have a multi-player component (finally), with a full-blown mission editor similar to the one in Freespace (which allows a creative player to do just about anything), and the ships from at least a couple of different eras.

Early war would rock.As for phase shields I do not know who or when they were invented but I believe that torpedos in WC had been around a while.The first days of the war yeah that would rock.

I'd love to see what the war was like before WC1... you know, back when people liked being assigned to Scimitars ;) I think a mod based on the pre-WC1 conflicts mentioned in Claw Marks would be nice.

--Eder

Ugh, what's everyone's obsession with prequels these days?

"What about a prequel to something? Everyone loves prequels."

"I don't."

The Star Wars movies are cool, but I was really hoping the fifth Star Trek series wouldn't be a prequel. Oh, well, Enterprise still kicks more ass than Voyager ever did. :)

Anyway, if I had to choose, I'd say Pilgrim Wars.

Originally posted by Eder
I'd love to see what the war was like before WC1... you know, back when people liked being assigned to Scimitars ;)
--Eder

You have all the WCA episodes!
They fly almost all the missions in Scimitars

And what about a prequel to the Star Wars Prequels? Or how about a prequel to Wing Commander in the form of a 32 million dollar movie? Or, how about... :rolleyes:

Timeline Question

First off: a prequel game based on the initial period of the Kilrathi war would rock!

Now to the question: Did ten yearsreally elapse between Wings One and Two? So, for ten whole years Blair wasted his life doing backwater patrols? Ugh! Why so long between the two games?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but it's two years between Wings Two and Three... right? How in the galaxy did the Concordia go down, anyway? It was so big & stuff....

Now that I think of it, any one of those games would be cool... except for the first and last options. Bah.

Now to the question: Did ten yearsreally elapse between Wings One and Two? So, for ten whole years Blair wasted his life doing backwater patrols? Ugh! Why so long between the two games?

Nine years -- Tiger's Claw went down in '56, and WC2 opened in '65. He must have had a few adventures in that time... we know he found Iceman's body, and he was assigned to Muspelheim as a battlefield observer...

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but it's two years between Wings Two and Three... right? How in the galaxy did the Concordia go down, anyway? It was so big & stuff....

WC2 ends in '67, and WC3 starts in '69... so, yeah. Concordia was severly damaged at the Battle of Terra (Fleet Action), and was assigned to 'safe' sector patrols (Voices of War). Blair, her Wing Commander, was wounded at the Battle of Terra and spend six months recovering in a military hospital -- and so was not aboard when she was ambushed during a rearguard action at Vespus.

Tough call. I know I don't want the Pilgrim war but the other options are all cool. I'll vote for early Kilrathi war but it's very hard to decide...

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Tough call. I know I don't want the Pilgrim war but the other options are all cool. I'll vote for early Kilrathi war but it's very hard to decide...

I agree with you on the pilgrem but the ten years is better.;) that did Blair do in that time frame besides what is told in this area and other areas like did he do any covert ops (that would be a good game idea.

Since Blair is rather suspect during the period (he's believed to have knowingly allowed Kilrathi fighters through his patrol zone without engaging or reporting them - said *cloaked* fighters going on to destroy the Tiger's Claw), I strongly doubt that he'd be involved in any covert operations. Rumor has him as a traitor, and the only thing that kept him from getting sacked and executed was lack of hard proof.
If a game focused on Blair during the gap period, a few guests who might be expected to appear might be Iceman (who dies around 2662, and is found by Blair), Hawk (who apparently was in Blair's squadron when Iceman was recovered), and Jazz (who might have revealed Iceman's location to the cats).
Interaction with fellow pilots would probably reveal a certain amount of hostility from some of them (much like Stinger in WC2), while others who knew Blair before would probably be friendlier (just as the old Tiger's Claw crew is the friendliest bunch in WC2).

Originally posted by junior
Since Blair is rather suspect during the period (he's believed to have knowingly allowed Kilrathi fighters through his patrol zone without engaging or reporting them - said *cloaked* fighters going on to destroy the Tiger's Claw), I strongly doubt that he'd be involved in any covert operations. Rumor has him as a traitor, and the only thing that kept him from getting sacked and executed was lack of hard proof.
).

but what about mil int they might have heard of the cloaking device and think (know) that Blair is telling the truth and use the discredited pilot to do missions.

I think it'd be awesome to fight in the Kilrathi War a few years before WC1 or even in the very early stages of the war. In that time period, the Kilrathi would still be mysterious and even more ominous. Also, I'd LOVE to fly scimitars and the like before they were considered second-rate ships. I don't think I'd really want the Pilgrim War before the other choices.

Originally posted by Battler Hawke

I agree with you on the pilgrem but the ten years is better.;) (...)

It's a tough call, really. In all of these periods something interesting happened. I choose early Kilrathi War mainly because I think it'd be easiest to implement "new" fighters [i.e. different to the other games] there.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

I choose early Kilrathi War mainly because I think it'd be easiest to implement "new" fighters [i.e. different to the other games] there.

Heh.
I find it ironic that over the ten year period between WC1 and WC2, the Confederation uses the exact same medium fighter (and its feeling a little outdated in WC2), while two years later in WC3, the entire range of fighters has been completely replaced.

Back