Wingmen Experience Level

Marcml30

Spaceman
I ran across a WC3 guide that seemed to suggest that your wingmen would improve with experience. So if you were to pick them for your wing, they would get better and better. For example, when I rarely ever used Flash because he would hardly last through even the easiest dogfights. If I were to pick him more often would he get better?

Thats an interesting question. Judging from how the wingmen AI reacts further into the game, it does seem they develop better skills, but for some reason they still manage to either get in the way of my fire or fly into asteroids and cap ships. Their aim seems to be the only thing that gets better, that is if they stay out of the way and not do a head on crash into something.

RFBurns

I think that only morale affects your wingmen. You can raise or lower morale by the conversation and by picking them as wingmen. But I do not think that they will become really better. There are just two sates for the wingmen: "Low morale=fly bad" and "High morale= fly, well, better"

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 03-22-2001 at 16:51]

Originally posted by Shooter
No way ! WC3? Experience based AI ? It´s kind of hard to believe...
Why? One could say that the Kilrathi have different levels of experience (afterburner use, missiles, etc) by the difficulty level you choose.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
(...)You can raise or lower morale by the conversation choices and by picking them as wingmen. (...)

Really??? If you don't pick them as wingmen their morale will go down? :confused:

Originally posted by Marcml30
I ran across a WC3 guide that seemed to suggest that your wingmen would improve with experience. So if you were to pick them for your wing, they would get better and better.

I've read that too in my strategy guide for Wc3, it also mentions it in the strategy guide for Wc4, not that I've ever noticed a real difference in how well they fly/fight...

Not too sure if this applies to certain WC games, but in some games your wingman skill also depends on how well YOU are doing. i.e. if you are a a very skillful pilot (lotsa kills) then the wingman intelligence drops so you have to do more of the work. If you aren't doing very well and die a lot, the wingman will give you more of an assist.

Originally posted by Shooter
No way ! WC3? Experience based AI ? It´s kind of hard to believe...

I can't believe it. Mainly because, as you progress thruogh the game, the enemy gets dumber and dumber and dumber and dumber.......I was playing wing3 about 3 weeks ago, and the kilrathi, kept ramming each other and killing themselves.

AI is often experience based -- which is to say, it has set levels which are activated depending on your game performance.

This was one of the big new features in WC2 -- anyone born after that can't appreciate how special it was. :)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
AI is often experience based -- which is to say, it has set levels which are activated depending on your game performance.

This was one of the big new features in WC2 -- anyone born after that can't appreciate how special it was. :)
When I pressed 'i' mid-dogfight, I'd get some red printing saying "Intelligence = 10". Is this the experience based AI thingy?

Well, I never noticed any difference. AI = 1 or AI = 10, they were all pretty dumb in those days. :) Even the most challenging 'aces' (Thrakhath, Colson) just kept flying round in circles! :)

I'd have to say that your wingmen in WCP were pretty good at getting bugs off your a**, but I still find that I have to watch how close I trail an enemy fighter (I looove the way your wingmen try to shoot though you to get to that fighter considering how pissy they were if you "accidentally" took pot shots at them)...

Not really...

<Maestro>"Somebody help me out!"
<Zero>"Don't worry, I'm on my way!"
BOOM!
<Zero>"This is ridiculous!" [Static]

:)

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Yes, before, the enemy actualy shot at you! Now, the longer you play, the more they run into each other!!!:D
Hmm... I hate to tell you this, but the AI isn't supposed to always improve - it can also worsen to match your performance. Thus, I wouldn't go around telling people that the AI got worse as the game progressed, if I were you. ;)

My ability worsen? No. Just because I can fly around and kill things rather swiftly, doesn't mean I am a bad player. When the enemy kills themselves before your even in extreme weapons range, there's something wrong there.

Back